1.    #1  
    Folks,

Got the VZW Treo 600 on Tuesday and have been using it full time since Wednesday morning. Took it out of the box, installed the software, took as much stuff out of my folder on the desktop as I thought I would not want/need on the Treo (PQA's, Fitaly Stamp for 7135, and others) and got it going in a half hour.

Activated the phone on line with Verizon and it was working fine right away.

I am coming from a 7135 that I had since February 2003 on VZW (bought an Altell one and activated it on VZW).

First impressons below

The Good Stuff:
    - The phone application itself is very good. The search capability to look up a contact is great. I was an habitual user of TAKEphONE (www.shsh.com) on my 7135, but find myself using the built in dialing app exclusively. The navigation in the phone app between contacts, favorites, web, and camera is great even found that it can be customized as to which one is in which direction.
    - Web access speed seems to be much faster than on my 7135, I would expect this with the CPU speed upgrade to the ARM processor and OS5.
    - Stability is great. I had about a half dozen soft resets per week with the 7135, but then again I did have Hacks installed on that.
    - Thumboard/Keyboard: It is the balls. I barely take the stylus out of the Treo and most of the time I do it is from habit. I can navigate through most any screen exclusively with the 5-Way.
    - Screen is excellent, as you will see from the pictures I am attaching I have not yet removed the plastic that came with it. I have some Strong Engineering protectors from the 7135 that look like they are the same size. I plan on putting one on tonight.
    - Form factor is outstanding. I thought I would miss the flip style having had a 7135 (18 months) and a StarTAC (4 years) before that. A Nokia candy bar I had 5-6 years ago was awful. I really like the feel of the Treo, its light and fits well in the hand. I will say that I still like the looks of the Sprint "Carbon" color better, but hey I can deal with this.
    - Sound quality of the phone is excellent, speaker phone has worked well for me and no complaints from the people I put on speaker. Thought this might be a tough one.
    - Like the built in option to assign two apps to a button, one with the option key (blue one) before it. Makes accessing the most used applications even easier.
    - HotSync is very quick.

Some Negatives:
    - The big negative is on the phone/dialer application is the lack of support for pause/wait for each contact. The Kyo 7135 did this better as it let you put in a pause or wait in every contact. Limiting this to 50 probably suits most people that are only doing it for home/work voicemail, but for someone who has 1200+ contacts many that have extensions it is a pain.
    - Limit of 50 speed dials is weak.
    - No voice dial is weak.
    - Battery life is not much better than my 7135 was, and the battery is fixed and non-changeable. Hopefully when my package arrives from Dan's Cellular Accessories I will not have to worry. I plan on having a charger/cradle combo in my office, and at home along with a car charger.
    - The little leather thing they put in the package is a waste. Could have at least put a hard belt clip on it. Palm/Handspring should have put in a holster. I am currently carrying it naked in a pocket. I have a form fit case coming from Dan and contemplating a Vaja Flip Case. I don't think I want to carry it on my hip in an I-Volution. It is small enough to keep in the pants pocket.
    - My 7135 stereo headset did not work with Pocket Tunes when I downloaded that as my freebie from Palm. Again, I will spend a few more bucks with Dan for the headset. I like to use the MP3 functionality when I travel.
    - Camera is sort of useless. May trade it for the WOC model when they show up at VZW if I have any work issues with a camera at my accounts.
    - Can't figure out how to keep the screen on while in the cradle/charger. This will be a negative in the car if I have it charging and the screen goes dark. Kyo 7135 had a nice setting for this option.
    - No cradle included.

Some VZW notes:
    - VZW has hard coded the Express Network connection into the Preferences>Network setting. It does not seem to allow for a QNC (low speed 14.4Kbps) connection. In time someone will figure this one out for us. Either that or we need confirmation of Express Network usage out of minutes or a lower cost unlimited data plan (currently $44.99 for the Smartphone plan on VZW).
    - Reception has been excellent. I had only one call in three days that did not ring and went to voicemail, but I was in a meeting at the time anyway. I was very concerned as this is my first VZW without analog support. We will see when I travel to the boonies on vacation next month. Will probably carry an old StarTAC to ensure I have some service. Also can bring the old 7135 (hand off to the wife today).

Overall I give it very high grades (A-). If you are on the fence with a 7135 I would give it a 15 day shot - keep your 7135 and bring it back if you don't like it. For me I have one app that lets me access behind the corporate firewall to my Exchange data that is unstable on the 7135 and rock solid on the Treo.

I am attaching some pictures of it for those that have not seen it yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The big negative is on the phone/dialer application is the lack of support for pause/wait for each contact. The Kyo 7135 did this better as it let you put in a pause or wait in every contact. Limiting this to 50 probably suits most people that are only doing it for home/work voicemail, but for someone who has 1200+ contacts many that have extensions it is a pain.

extra digits feature?

My 7135 stereo headset did not work with Pocket Tunes when I downloaded that as my freebie from Palm. Again, I will spend a few more bucks with Dan for the headset. I like to use the MP3 functionality when I travel.
    you either need a special treo headphones or an adapter.

Can't figure out how to keep the screen on while in the cradle/charger. This will be a negative in the car if I have it charging and the screen goes dark. Kyo 7135 had a nice setting for this option.
    not an option on the treo. you need a third party app.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I also just upgraded from the 7135 (using it on verizon before verizon had it). The treo is simply fantastic! I agree with just about everything noted above- nice review. The only difference I might have is that I think the battery life is definitely better than the 7135. Overall, the faster processor makes a HUGE difference. The web is now actually usable. And I *just* tried Pocket Tunes with Shoutcast- that is incredible....Overall, very happy at the switch. And I'm ok for now with using regular minutes for data (and unlimited nights/ weekends). It will be interesting to see if verizon notes shoutcast streaming on weekends!
    Thanks for the great post mdlissner. I, too, got a 7135 from Altell and activated it on Verizon. But, I lusted for a Treo 600. I saw the notice in Wall Street a few days ago that Verizon ws going to finally start carrying the Treo so I'm back lurking on TreoCentral. Your review was very helpful. I was sitting on the fence: should I get a 600, wait on a 610/660 (Ace), or just stay with my 7135? I'm heading to the Verizon store Monday to get a 600!
    The area around the VZW version hard keys looks painted with the same grey as the ear piece. All other carrier versions look like they have a chrome or steele inlay. Can anyone confirm this?
    Thanks.
    What is the info between the date and time in the "treo closeup" jpg?
    I believe the 1x means "Express Network" compatible and the crosshair with the radar sign means the phone has the 911/GPS locator on.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    can you show some comparison pictures of the 7135 and the treo..
    Bob's Alarm has a setting to keep the back light on when charging. I tested it only one time and after an hour I got tired of looking at the screen. Ben