Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know the board's overflowing with personal VZW Treo600 stories, but I thought some might find some use out of this one. Like many I called CS to try to order one and was told it wouldn't ship for retail customers until the 19th. But based on the advice from other board members, I walked into a local VZW retail store to see if I could reserve one for the 19th.

Well, they told me that they will be receiving most of their stock next week, but they were receiving a single Treo600 on the 15th that they'd sell me. Didn't ask if it was a demo model or what, didn't want to jinx it, I just said sure. She even asked a manager if he'd promised it to anyone else yet and was told no it could be sold, so I'm pretty sure this is legit. I'll let you update tomorrow if I actually get to take it home, but it might be worth a call or walk-in to your local store to see if other's are receiving advance shipments.
    Where are you located?
    I also heard a report of a user who successfully purchased a Treo 600 from a verizon retail store. They did not have any in stock, but the user was able to overnight it from the warehouse.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    I walked into my local VZW store to see if they had any accessories yet and the entire staff was gawking at my Treo 600. Most thought they had not been released yet and were shocked that it was out and in someones hands. They only had the one page (front and back) glossy on the Treo in the store.
    i purchased one on tuesday late afternoon. i called up cs, to ask some questions about it, and asked if it was available. the guy said yes and i ordered one. it was sent out fedex yesterday, i have the tracking number. it was sent out 2 day, it's supposed to arrive Jul 16, 2004 by 4:30 pm.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    Where are you located?
    Indianapolis. Picked up the phone tonight. They had some problems activating it, but it works like a charm now. When I asked again why they let me buy something that was obviously meant to be a demo phone for their training purposes, the rep replied "Eh, we'll get more in on monday, and I doubt we'll sell many of them." She mentioned that the smartPhones have not been big sellers for them at their location. That's the midwest for you I guess.

Incedently, I mentioned this in another post, but it seems useful enough to repeat. I signed up for no data plans at all... nothing but voice. And the Treo does in fact connect to the web using minutes only, just like the 7135 did. Not super fast, but very usable. Hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by markf
    Incedently, I mentioned this in another post, but it seems useful enough to repeat. I signed up for no data plans at all... nothing but voice. And the Treo does in fact connect to the web using minutes only, just like the 7135 did. Not super fast, but very usable. Hope this helps.
    That is outstanding news! Thank you for repeating yourself, because I missed your first post about this.

Now, have you tried using your Treo as a modem by tethering it to a computer? Would you need the PDANet software? http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/index.php
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    ...And the Treo does in fact connect to the web using minutes only, just like the 7135 did. Not super fast, but very usable. Hope this helps.

not to steer the thread away (on my first post, no less) but this helps, thanks!

Is there anything tricky i have to do to get online?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ndirish2001
    Now, have you tried using your Treo as a modem by tethering it to a computer? Would you need the PDANet software? http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/index.php
    Not yet, but I'll be looking into it. I also have not played around with any sort of email retrieval, though I'll need to do that this weekend.

tripm, there is nothing that I had to do or ask for, it looks like the phone defaults to minutes-used internet when no dataplan exists. If anyone finds otherwise, please let us know.
    Have you seen any extra charges on your bill for using it this way?
    Joe V. - Sprint Nextel Business Solutions - SoCal
    I just stopped into a large VZW store in Rockville, MD to find out when I could get the Treo. This store is usually on top of things and had been very knowledgeable about the 7135. The first person I talked to knew nothing about the Treo. The second person swore it was not going to be released until between the 20th and 25th of the month, and then only by special order. He said that none of the stores would stock the phone. When I told him that the official release date was the 19th and other stores were carrying it, he said that it did not fit with what he had been told.

I will try again tomorrow at some Washignton, D.C. stores and then order it over the phone from VZW, if necessary. I guess I have to find a new local store to deal with.
    I just called my verizon store in Thousand Oaks, CA and they said they WOULD have them tomorrow. I think that guy just doesn't know anything. I also asked a guy at a LA verizon store (because they have a brochure with the treo in it -IN the verizon store) a couple of days ago and he quoted me 2 months!. Some people just don't take their jobs seriously. You were in cellular cells for crying out loud. know what phones are hot and what phones are coming in!
    Why hasn't this:

-- http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/319-1.htm

reappearred?
    Lnoble - I've actually talked to a rep in the Montgomery Mall Verizon store. He said the 19th for sure, so I'll probably take a trip there tomorrow. I'll let you know what I find.
    Quote Originally Posted by fazworld
    Lnoble - I've actually talked to a rep in the Montgomery Mall Verizon store. He said the 19th for sure, so I'll probably take a trip there tomorrow. I'll let you know what I find.
    Thanks, fazworld, that's good news! I'll have to head over there after work, if they have it.
    You can now actually see the Treo on the VZ wireless web site!

Check it out!
    I just contacted three different stores in the MD/DC area and each told me the same thing--the phone would only be available from direct sales and not through the stores. I guess that's the way I'm going.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Thought I'd throw in my experience today.

I checked their site and there it was, apparently ready for sale. Except the local stores here in Syracuse don't have any stock and aren't sure when they will- it's only available thru what they called fulfillment (either phone or internet upgrade/purchase).

So I ordered one from cust service- I have to wait a day or two for the contract to travel by mail from them to me and back again (my phone is on our corp account). I am using a Kyocera 7135 which has been fine, but I'm looking for an improvement.

This is certainly not news, but Verizon is not making themselves look good by the lack of information in their own system.
    My own story from today (short version): Call Telesales, told I have to go to store to order as I'm in the middle of my contract. Go to large VZW store on 34th St. in NYC, told can't order at all yet. Called 5th Ave store, told they could order it. Go there, guy takes my info, filling out screens, only to be told the Treo is on "hold", to come back after noon to order.

I may go back this afternoon, but why does Verizon make it so hard to give them money for a phone? All I want is a replacement for my old Kyocera 6035...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast