Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was a long time Verizon customer but a little over a week ago I switched to Sprint in order to get a Treo. Since I am in the 14 day period I now could hop back to Verizon since it seems their Treo is out now but I'm wondering if its worth doing. Here's the issues:

1. The Spring phone cost me only $320, lower than Verizon and the calling plans on Sprint all seem to be similarly lower priced than Verizon.

2. From my experience this week the coverage in my area seems equal to Verizon.

3. For an extra $5 (total still lower than Verizon plan) I get to roam on the Verizon network whenever needed with no roaming charges.

4. Web browsing seems faster on Sprint than Verizon plus its WAY cheaper. For $15 I get unlimited web, e-mail, SMS, pics, etc. I think the comparable package from Verizon is like $80.

So you see I'm not sure what to do here. Any advice here? Am I missing some good reasons to go back to Verizon?

Thanks,
    Vidio
    cost is lmuch lower and reception is the same...staying w\ Sprint seems like a no-brainer to me.
    Ditto. I've been very happy with my Sprint service.
    I also just switched from Verizon to Sprint to get the Treo and because their plans are cheaper.

One thing to keep in mind is that you cannot use Sprint's Vision while you're roaming.
    If you can live with Sprint's coverage, they are the way to go since you get a much faster network than GSM and less than Verizon.

Rippey
    Sprint works fine for me. People act like SPCS has no coverage at all sometimes & that anyone that has them regrets they don't have Verizon everytime they go to use their phone. My suggestion is to figure out what works best in the area you will be using your mobile most. It could be Verizon & it could be Sprint. If #2 above is really true then I don't see why anyone would advise you to go with Verizon seeing as how you're going to pay 50% for the same thing just so you say you have coverage in some backwoods town you go visit every 5 years.
    Three words:

location, location, location.

...it all depends on where you are. For those of you that don't already have their usage location posted please do so. It makes troubleshooting and assessing Sprint's service much easier.

In NYC (Manhattan) Sprint service is not nearly as good as Verizon's. Furthermore, VZ service allows me to speak in Penn station (underground) and in the tunnels through which LIRR and Metro North run. Just wanted to provide you with some locations and points of reference.

As far as the relative pricing is concerned - this is a no brainer. Sprint is far more competitive in with data plan and reasonably competetive with their voice plan. The savings are huge; however, I need to be able to access both, whether it be at my folks' house in Long Island or deep within the concrete jungle. Sprint has been unreliable to these ends.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory J
    Sprint works fine for me. People act like SPCS has no coverage at all sometimes & that anyone that has them regrets they don't have Verizon everytime they go to use their phone. My suggestion is to figure out what works best in the area you will be using your mobile most. It could be Verizon & it could be Sprint. If #2 above is really true then I don't see why anyone would advise you to go with Verizon seeing as how you're going to pay 50% for the same thing just so you say you have coverage in some backwoods town you go visit every 5 years.
    No one is going to be able to tell you which service to choose unless their location/uses matches yours exactly. My suggestion is that you ask a friend to borrow his Sprint phone for a day or two and check the signal/reception

Personally, I moved to VZ a few years back due to the annoying fact that Sprint did not work in my living room (where my desk was located) and I also got a ton of dropped calls. Having Sprint forced me to keep the phone in my bedroom in order to get reception. Keep in mind that this was in a 900 sq. ft. apartment in NYC. I went to VZ and have been happy since.

My greatest concern is that by getting the Treo I may lose a bit of service since it does not have analog and that certainly helps VZ get and keep a signal in places where Sprint does not. A good example of this is I was in Penn Station yesterday and made a call using full analog. I wonder what my signal would have been like with the Treo?
    Quote Originally Posted by illustreous
    Three words:

location, location, location.

...it all depends on where you are.
    Exactly... When I say it works for me, I am referring too Western Washington, including Seattle & Olympia, all of the Bay area, LA, San Diego, Houston, Dallas, Laredo, Las Vegas, Washington DC, Atlanta & So. Beach in Miami.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I was a Verizon customer and was very happy with my service, but I switched to Sprint because I wanted a Treo 600. I have been very satisfied with my Sprint service. Verizon's plan (w/Web service) is way too expensive for me to consider switching back. I also recently dropped my Verizon land-line service for Vonage VoIP. So far, so good! I pay only roughly $15/month for local service!
    Quote Originally Posted by theswami
    A good example of this is I was in Penn Station yesterday and made a call using full analog. I wonder what my signal would have been like with the Treo?
    Hmmm...I have an LG VX6000 (Verizon) - a non-analog, completely digital phone and it works fine in Penn Station and the LIRR tunnel.

Do Sprint's CDMA phone work in Penn Station, etc.? I'm not sure, perhaps someone can confirm.
  12.    #12  
    The cost advantage at Sprint was too much to pass up. After my two week trial with Sprint I've determined the covergae to be about the same as Verizon, especially with the optional free roaming capability. If you really want the use the Treo to its full advantage with web, e-mail, pics, text, etc. then the Sprint plan is undeniably better - almost HALF the cost of the Verizon. Here's the numbers from my situation:

Sprint:
    700 min talk time - $50
    free roaming - $5
    unlimted data, pics, 100 text - $15
    Monthly total - $70

Verizon:
    600 min talk time - $75
    free roaming - $0 (included in above)
    data plan - $50
    pics - $5
    100 text - $3
    Monthly total - $133
    I have been with sprint for 8 years and have been just fine with the coverage. my job has me travelling all over the US. I will agree with other posts that Verizon does seem to have better coverage in some tough places (e.g. subway and rail stations).
    I'm confused...
    If you have Sprint and add the Verizon free roaming option, do you not essentially have coverage that's just as good as Verizon, including Penn Station and the underground tunnels? And one more question... when roaming on Verizon do you still have access to your Sprint voice mail?

I'm really torn which way to go...

Mark
    Current Kyo 7135 user on Verizon
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mhzimmer
    I'm confused...
    If you have Sprint and add the Verizon free roaming option, do you not essentially have coverage that's just as good as Verizon, including Penn Station and the underground tunnels?
    It would be great if it worked that way, but it doesn't. Each carriers phones are programmed to hang onto their home network when ever possible. You could be standing under a Verizon tower, but if their is a Sprint signal available, however weak, that is what the Sprint phone will use.

I'm also not sure that they will hand off calls that are in progress, so if you make a call while on the Sprint network, then roam onto Verizon, I beleive the call will drop.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garp
    It would be great if it worked that way, but it doesn't. Each carriers phones are programmed to hang onto their home network when ever possible. You could be standing under a Verizon tower, but if their is a Sprint signal available, however weak, that is what the Sprint phone will use.

I'm also not sure that they will hand off calls that are in progress, so if you make a call while on the Sprint network, then roam onto Verizon, I beleive the call will drop.
    You can force your Sprint phone to roam in analog mode only and that will roam on Verizon analog (not digital). It will only try to hold on to a weak Sprint signal if you have selected "Automatic" network detection or "Sprint only" network detection.
    I was told by Sprint that their unlimited roaming plan only covers digital roaming ... analog roaming results in a charge. I haven't confirmed whether that's correct.
  18.    #18  
    Neither the Sprint or Verizon Treo is capable of analog roaming so it is a moot point if that is your phone device.
    Remember with Sprint that it is a FLAT digital network. Meaning if you have 1 bar only - but it is consistent and not fluctuating - you should not notice a difference in quality between that and 4 bars. That is not necessarily true of Verizon (due to the patchwork buildout of their network) and certainly not true of an analog signal.

So even if you're only getting 1 bar with Sprint, you're most likely better off than with digital roaming...where call quality and connectivity are no longer a "guarantee".
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaHooska
    I was told by Sprint that their unlimited roaming plan only covers digital roaming ... analog roaming results in a charge. I haven't confirmed whether that's correct.
    That's absolutely incorrect. Sprint's $5/month "Free and clear America" plan covers digital and analog roaming. Of course, as has been stated before, the Treo 600 doesn't support analog service.

Also, just so you know the roaming plan is not really "unlimited." Up to 50% of your USED minutes per month can be roaming. Any more than that and Sprint may cancel the plan. (and potentially charge you for roaming calls)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast