Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. dwman's Avatar
    Posts
    896 Posts
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
       #1  
  2. #2  
    Yes I will switch - hand down my Kyo 7135 to the wife when the Treo comes to VZW.
  3. #3  
    Not me. I doubt I'll ever sign a contract with VZ...Sprint has been very good to me, but even if they weren't I'd go with T-Mo or AT&Tingular before going with VZ.
  4. #4  
    I am dying to dump t-mo and my 270. I'm going with VZW ASAP
  5. #5  
    I'll be re-signing on a new contract and picking up the Treo 600. Gotta use that NE2 before it expires. Might just do a 1-year though.
    everything was beautiful and nobody hurt.
  6. #6  
    Indicator - Why t-mobile or At&t? Verizon is ranked #1 by consumer reports for best customer service and best coverage. I guess if you want to be second best, then no one going to stop you. Have you had a bad experiece with VZ?
  7. #7  
    Yes!!! I've been waiting for this for a while. Given that my current phone (non smartphone) is dying, I almost gave up and moved to Sprint to get a Treo. Instead I purchased a new battery and headset and figured I would wait until the end of the year when VZ would finanlly have a Treo.
  8. #8  
    Thisshouldbeme - I work in the wireless industry, so don't start preaching. I work with all four of the above mentioned vendors 5 days out of the week and base my opinions on my interactions with their people and their systems. From that experience, Verizon (with whom my company has around 500 lines of service) would be my last choice in terms of customer service. In addition, I've personally had experience (either personal lines of service or family/friends) with Cingular, AT&T, Sprint and Verizon, so I do have pretty good experience in both B2B and B2C channels.

    Don't get me wrong - I have friends who use Verizon and are perfectly content with them. Then again, I've got other friends who are with Verizon and have spent months trying to resolve billing issues. But I've been with Sprint now since December and have experienced all of 1 (one) dropped call(s) (FYI - Sprint will refund your "minutes" for any dropped calls you encounter and report) and have had excellent service from their reps.

    Most of my experience is B2B, which doesn't directly pertain to you, per se, but I judge a corporation and provider based on the big picture. And in my experience (and most other Fortune 500's I'd wager) Verizon is far from #1. (Hint: AT&T has 75% market penetration in Fortune 500 companies - there is a good reason for that...)

    I'm in Seattle - so saying that Verizon has the #1 ranked coverage is like telling me that the house across the street has cleaner windows. (i.e. it is really a non-issue for me, as I haven't had any coverage issues at home or traveling).

    At this stage, I'd probably opt for Sprint, then AT&Tingular and then T-Mobile. I'm not convinced that T-Mobile really knows where they're headed in terms of data networks, so they're falling behind the curve compared to Sprint or AT&Tingular. But I digress...YMMV.
    Last edited by Indicator; 07/07/2004 at 03:54 PM.
  9. #9  
    Your carrier is much a function of where you live. In NYC, Sprint has very poor in-building penetration (a function of 1900 MHz spectrum). NYC is predominantly buildings. You can deduce the conclusion.

    Perhaps in Seattle all is peachy with Sprint. In NYC, their service is rife with problems (comparatively speaking that is - with Verizon)

    Quote Originally Posted by Indicator
    Thisshouldbeme - I work in the wireless industry, so don't start preaching. I work with all four of the above mentioned vendors 5 days out of the week and base my opinions on my interactions with their people and their systems. From that experience, Verizon (with whom my company has around 500 lines of service) would be my last choice in terms of customer service. In addition, I've personally had experience (either personal lines of service or family/friends) with Cingular, AT&T, Sprint and Verizon, so I do have pretty good experience in both B2B and B2C channels.

    Don't get me wrong - I have friends who use Verizon and are perfectly content with them. Then again, I've got other friends who are with Verizon and have spent months trying to resolve billing issues. But I've been with Sprint now since December and have experienced all of 1 (one) dropped call(s) (FYI - Sprint will refund your "minutes" for any dropped calls you encounter and report) and have had excellent service from their reps.

    Most of my experience is B2B, which doesn't directly pertain to you, per se, but I judge a corporation and provider based on the big picture. And in my experience (and most other Fortune 500's I'd wager) Verizon is far from #1. (Hint: AT&T has 75% market penetration in Fortune 500 companies - there is a good reason for that...)

    I'm in Seattle - so saying that Verizon has the #1 ranked coverage is like telling me that the house across the street has cleaner windows. (i.e. it is really a non-issue for me, as I haven't had any coverage issues at home or traveling).

    At this stage, I'd probably opt for Sprint, then AT&Tingular and then T-Mobile. I'm not convinced that T-Mobile really knows where they're headed in terms of data networks, so they're falling behind the curve compared to Sprint or AT&Tingular. But I digress...YMMV.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by illustreous
    Your carrier is much a function of where you live. In NYC, Sprint has very poor in-building penetration (a function of 1900 MHz spectrum). NYC is predominantly buildings. You can deduce the conclusion.

    Perhaps in Seattle all is peachy with Sprint. In NYC, their service is rife with problems (comparatively speaking that is - with Verizon)
    That is certainly true. Certain carriers simply don't go after certain markets - the NE is Verizon territory - their HQ is in New Jersey. And if I lived in NYC, and couldn't get Sprint, I'd still look to another carrier first based on my current experiences with Verizon.

    But if coverage is an issue for you, that should always be your first consideration - it seems obvious to me. But it hasn't ever been an issue for me...

    In fact, where I sit (in my happy little cube) I can't make or recieve calls on our Verizon phones or our AT&T TDMA phones. Sprint is peachy, as is T-Mo or AT&T GSM. If I go outside, they all work fine...but that kind of puts the whole "1900Mhz doesn't have good building penetration" theory to rest, doesn't it? (Sprint and T-Mo are both 1900Mhz, and they both have superior in-building coverage here...without repeaters).

    Another factor, of course, is proximity to the nearest tower, which may be an issue here (although the Verizon devices report full signal strength and still can't make/recieve calls)...

    Anyway, we're splitting hairs now. Buy whatever you want, whoever has the best coverage, and whoever is going to treat you well. As always, experiences will vary widely, so just educate yourself and make informed decisions.
    Last edited by Indicator; 07/07/2004 at 04:52 PM.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by adimiron
    I'll be re-signing on a new contract and picking up the Treo 600. Gotta use that NE2 before it expires. Might just do a 1-year though.
    Ditto on both points. I've been toying with going w/Bluetooth not-as-smartphone but I'm not keen on carrying 2 devices. It depends on which comes out first -- V710 or T600.
  12. #12  
    http://www.nyccell.com/



    Quote Originally Posted by Indicator
    ...but that kind of puts the whole "1900Mhz doesn't have good building penetration" theory to rest, doesn't it? (Sprint and T-Mo are both 1900Mhz, and they both have superior in-building coverage here...without repeaters).
  13. #13  
    Wow...that's a..um..."classy" website. Not to point out the obvious, but that site is for New York. I'm in a building in Seattle. Does that site have any relevance to me? Nope. And if you honestly think that is objective reporting, I've got some land I'd love to sell you in Florida.

    Seriously, man - I really don't care. If you like VZW, and it works for you, go with it. Your experiences are yours and mine are mine.



    FYI - T-Mobile was just rated #1 by JD Power and Associates for Customer Service for 2004. http://www.jdpower.com/pdf/2004061.pdf

    That IS objective reporting.
  14. #14  
    I have been a verizon member for 3 years now, and I can honestly say, that although it's getting slightly better...their customer service SUCKS. They never stop working for You? Gross exageration. But I live in So Cal and my coverage is fantastic! which is why I stay with them. I have used AT&T and wasn't impressed, Tmobile is not even close and cingular...that whole AT&T/Cingluar Merger scares me a bit...so as long as they get that treo up and running, I will be a happy camper.
  15. #15  
    ditto. that's what matters to me in the end.

    Quote Originally Posted by citi
    ...my coverage is fantastic! which is why I stay with them.
  16. #16  
    The nice thing about the Cingular/AT&T thing at the moment is that the carriers have comprehensive GSM roaming - if you can't find an AT&T network, your device will switch to Cingular - anywhere in the country - effectively doubling their network coverage.

    I've heard good things about T-Mobile throughout the California market, but don't have much experience with them down there.

    I do know that our Verizon folks in San Diego are furious. The Mexican cell towers down there overpower the Verizon cells, causing folks to "roam in Mexico" while still in San Diego! Hahaha!
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Indicator
    The nice thing about the Cingular/AT&T thing at the moment is that the carriers have comprehensive GSM roaming - if you can't find an AT&T network, your device will switch to Cingular - anywhere in the country - effectively doubling their network coverage.

    I've heard good things about T-Mobile throughout the California market, but don't have much experience with them down there.

    I do know that our Verizon folks in San Diego are furious. The Mexican cell towers down there overpower the Verizon cells, causing folks to "roam in Mexico" while still in San Diego! Hahaha!
    that happened to me too! I'm on the phone talking to my fiance and all of a sudden I'm talking to Juan!
  18. #18  
    ROTFLMAO!

    Quote Originally Posted by citi
    that happened to me too! I'm on the phone talking to my fiance and all of a sudden I'm talking to Juan!

Posting Permissions