1.    #1  
    i want to sms someone who has a regular phone.

will it cost them anything? i'm sure they dont have any plans other than phone.

what goes after the number?

thanks
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Felipe, I don't think you need add anything after the number. Just send it to their number and they should get the sms. However if they do not have the SMS feature add-on, then most likely it will automatically go to their shortmail inbox instead of sms and they would have to log on via wireless web to check it...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  3.    #3  
    don't need anything after the number, even if i'm sms from t-mo?

thanx.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    don't need anything after the number, even if i'm sms from t-mo?

thanx.

I'm pretty sure you don't. I have friends on Cingular etc who sms me all the time and all they do is enter my number like normal. However like I said above, if your friend on Sprint does not have the SMS add-on, it will go to their shortmail, not sms. Thus they will have to pay for wireless web to access their shortmail and read the message...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    On that note--- has anyone noticed any reliability problems with sending SMS on Sprint? Seems like 1 in 5 messages are "lost in the cloud" and are never received by my friends/family...

I recall reading somewhere that there was an "RCT" tag you could attach to the message for delivery confirmation, but that didn't seem to work for me...

Any ideas about getting a receipt to know my message was received?
    I've encountered the same problem phildro, about 1 out of every 5 disappears.
    Are you using Treo600SMS?
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Nope! I own it, but deleted it when Sprint rolled out their native service. Are you suggesting I plug it back in?
    Phildro, I would try it. I still use the PDAapps Treo600SMS, becasue when it comes to SMS'ing @messaging.sprintpcs.com addys from the OE app, it only works 25% of the time, with Treo600SMS, it seems to work almost 100%, I think the trick is that your going thru their server as a relay.

I tried 4 SMS via 10dig with the OE app, all4 came thru.
    I tried 4 SMS via @messaging.sprintpcs.com and got none
    Enabled TREO600SMS (Uses Vision) and tried again,
    I got all 8.
    Disabled Treo600SMS and tired once more, and only got the 4 10dig ones.

perhaps it's just my location (Austin,Texas), a fluke or what have you, but for me, I keep using Treo600SMS.

I found this same thing when they first rolled out the Mo-SMS and also tried it a month later and a month after that. I quite tring until someone posted a post about ont using the Treo600SMS app, so I tried again, with the same results.
    OE app not very robust, TREO600SMS works fine.
    It had to do with sending to an email-phone address. My wife has a Samsing A-460 and we only use her XXXXXXXXXX@messaging.sprintpcs.com addy due to her oly having Wireless Web on her phone. This way, it pops up on her dispaly verses a note telling her she has one, and to log onto the SPrint site via Wireless Web and use precoius air time.

Do me a favor (I assume you have a CDMA Sprint Treo600), test for your self and let me know what you find. I used my number in both the 10digit and @mess... test.
    Funny, with the OE app on only, I can get SMS send from my HOUSE to XXXXXXXXXX@messaging.sprintpcs.com, just not from my phone, somehitn about the being from a mobile source I guess, perhaps that is why the Treo600SMS workd, your kindof using their site as an email send from, per se.

Thanks,Matt
    Find any time to test Phildro?
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Okay...just got back from a few days off-- I re-enabled Treo600SMS and I seem to have 100% reliable SMS delivery. This isn't as scientific as one would like, but I send SMS all the time and I think every one of them has gone through.

The drawback is the requirement to be on vision to send the SMS, which is usually not a big deal. However, sometimes I have to wait for the login to connect to the PDAApps proxy. I wish I could trust Sprint SMS delivery but at this point I don't want to lose 20% of my outbound messages.