Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Have had the Sprint Treo 600 since it came out with no problems.

In the last week it's begun to act up when I go to make a call. The screen flashes no service (and there was service when the call began) and then immediately exits the phone ap and goes into a connecting to PCS Vision screen which seems to happen over and over....cancelling itself and begining again, until I stop it and try to place the call again....at which point I am usually successful.

This has come out of the blue and I'm wondering if it sound familiar to anyone else? (For what it's worth I'm in Western Michigan).
    the problem could be the phone. there are threads in the treo 600 section that speak to this problem and suggest that Sprint will replace the phone.
    do a search in the forum for "network search" and you'll find PLENTY of info

Good Luck
    I just outlined my own horror story with this in the hardware forum... but figured you may need to heed this warning, too...

"Well, I THOUGHT I was having a good experience with Sprint's customer service on this one, but...

My original Treo 600 started losing signal more and more and the battery appeared to drain much more frequently, so I brought it in to a store to test. After leaving it with them for an hour, I came back and was told it was fine, but that the techs did some sort of software upgrade that should help (which seemed odd given that all my data was still intact, etc, making me suspect they didn't really upgrade anything). A couple weeks later I received that Sprint text message to download the 1.20 update. After the install, I started getting the frozen screen issue (usually during an incoming call; the phone would keep ringing and ringing but I couldn't answer, ignore the call, or even silence the ringer without flipping the top switch to silent and/or soft-resetting the phone). So, I brought the phone back into Sprint.

The techs couldn't figure out what was wrong, said they hadn't even heard of the issues I was having, and even commented that they hadn't even heard of the 1.20 update (and couldn't figure out how I got it on the phone)... but they ordered me a refurb unit that I swapped out for a few days later. Unfortunately, while the refurb unit didn't seem to have any of the aforementioned problems, the microphone didn't work. Seriously. I could receive calls, hear calls, do anything I wanted to on the internet, but anything I said into the phone still resulted in silence on the other end. Obviously I brought the phone back in the next day.

The very apologetic CSR that I talked to swapped out the refurb phone for a brand-new, in-box phone within minutes of me describing the problem. I was pretty happy about this, so I left thinking it was a good day. I checked the software version on the phone, though, and saw it was still v1.0. Hmm... the phone didn't seem to be having any problems, so I left it alone for the time being... until I discovered that the browser couldn't correctly display any sites that required cookies (even though I confirmed that the "accept cookies" option was checked). Strange, my original phone never had this problem. ...So last night I downloaded and installed the 1.20 update.

All hell broke loose from there. Now ANY internet usage soft-resets my phone: launching the web browser, checking my mail with Snappermail, etc. I probably check my email and browse the internet on my Treo more than I actually make phone calls on it (although its close...). Without the internet-side of things, I practically have no reason to stick with a Treo when there are a ton of sleeker and cooler looking Sanyos and Samsungs or whatevers out there. ...So now I'm frustrated as hell. I'm sure the store will give me a replacement (the CSR even mentioned that if I continue having problems, they'll likely swap me an equivalent phone of a different manufacturer, or even the upcoming 610 which she actually claimed was on its way soon... don't know how truthful that claim was).

Anyone else go through 3-soon-to-be-4 phones like me? (Oh... not to mention the Treo 300 that I owned problem-free before this; almost makes me wanna go back to that enormous, yet functional, monstrosity.)"
    Can't really add much to the title. Same problem. Fixed by replacement. I thought it was the 1.20 update on the original phone, but it wasn't. I updated the replacement and it works fine. I hate to say it, but it seems like luck of the draw sometimes. I would say, return it till you get a good one, even if it takes 2 or 3 returns (I'm serious). When you get a working one, it will have been worth it.
    I've been having this go on for a month - no service, then service, then canceling, then freezing. all the while the battery drains very fast.
    I think its the battery. I've had this treo 600 since oct, and suddenly these battery + connection issues are happening.
    I've since gotten an extended batttery, which solved it. as long as the extended batt. was charged, no probs connecting, but after draining the external battery, the treo has problems.

so I think after several months of heavy use, the treo battery loses juice as well as connection strength - solution? replacement.
    I have the same error, and also as with the 1.2 it freezes up on incomign calls. as far as i can tell its the original treos (the ones we all got in oct) that when updated to 1.1 then to 1.2 have this issue. I went to my local sprint store and treid to get it replaced but was told due to "collision damage" the tech had to void my warentee. needless to say it hit the fan, and im currently trying, unsuccessfully, to contact the division manager here in FL to get this resolved. Sprint has no clue at all about this issue as ive seen on here this is a reoccuring, altho not extremely prevelent, issue, but still no sprint tech had ever heard of this. i vote we all send this to the sprint corp email and tell them they need to fix the 1.2 upgrade.
    Last edited by nuro; 08/23/2004 at 06:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    I've been having this go on for a month - no service, then service, then canceling, then freezing. all the while the battery drains very fast.
    I think its the battery. I've had this treo 600 since oct, and suddenly these battery + connection issues are happening.
    I've since gotten an extended batttery, which solved it. as long as the extended batt. was charged, no probs connecting, but after draining the external battery, the treo has problems.

so I think after several months of heavy use, the treo battery loses juice as well as connection strength - solution? replacement.
    I just ordered a new battery from pdaparts.com . (Just search for "treo 600 battery".)