1.    #1  
    Has anyone had a defected phone, i.e. - ear speaker is busted?

If so, how did you go about in getting a replacement?

Thanks,

Jay
    If you're talking about the phone speaker itself just call up CS and tell them....obviously you'll have to call from a landline or another cell phone. You could also take the phone to the store itself and they will most likely just replace it for you and send you a new one to your home address.

Now if you're talking about the ear peice on the headset that usually come with phones then you could just buy another one they're usaully free and sometimes car rental companies have them for free. I guess you could try calling up CS and see if they will send you one also

Usually most problems requiere a call to CS or a trip to the store
    Jroot,
    You are going to have a hard time getting a refurb from Sprint. I am suffering with a lemon of a treo as well. My converted treo has the network search problem. I went to a few sprint stores to get a replacement; however, they can't process a warranty unless you are a Sprint Customer. I spoke to managers and supervisor that is what I found.

I spoke with Palmone, but they said I must go Sprint because they process all warranties for the CDMA phones.

At this point, I will become a Sprint Customer in the coming weeks so that I can exercise my warranty and cancel within the 14 day trial period. As I understand, I will pay for the activation fee.

I was considering in getting the media involved with this issue. In NYC, they have those TV news segments that help the little guy when having stupid issues. Iím sure Palmone doesnít want bad press. This is a product defect and not one that is cause anyway by the modification.

Has anyone else that has a converted treo have any success with the warranty?
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    I have the same problem.

The earpiece went dead. I could only use the phone in speakerphone mode or with a headset.

I am currently trying to get the original person I bought the phone from to help me claim a warranty.

how can palmone make such a shoddy product? For many people I've talked to the Treo600 is a piece of crap. =( Im anxiously waiting for the new sprint Samsung i550 palm phone though.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by steng01
    At this point, I will become a Sprint Customer in the coming weeks so that I can exercise my warranty and cancel within the 14 day trial period. As I understand, I will pay for the activation fee.
    Will this work? Might be the only option..

I may just take the phone apart and see if there is a loose contact or something on the speaker.
    Quote Originally Posted by jroot
    Will this work? Might be the only option..

I may just take the phone apart and see if there is a loose contact or something on the speaker.
    Opening the sprint account will work. I already tried to activate the phone, however I am dealing with some credit card fraud stuff. Apparently, someone used my social security with sprint to open an account and never paid it. As soon as the paper work is done, I will activate as a sprint customer.
  7.    #7  
    Do we know if it's just the speaker that needs to be replaced or is it more than that ?

*edit*: I've been trying to debug this problem and if I test the smaller speaker (ear handset speaker) on the speaker phone contacts (on the treo board) it does not work, which may or may not tell that the speaker is broken. I'm not sure if there is software involved that looks for a certain speaker or what, but I'd think it just looks for any speaker that can work.

I'm trying to get the bigger speaker (speaker phone) to work on the smaller speaker contacts (on treo board), but it's a little more difficult because they are spread out a little more.
    Last edited by jroot; 06/27/2004 at 10:41 PM.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Excuse me if this has already been discussed. I did a quick search here and found nothing. Can someone point me in the direction of using a Sprint Treo on Verizon's network.

Thanks.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by tcatnat
    Excuse me if this has already been discussed. I did a quick search here and found nothing. Can someone point me in the direction of using a Sprint Treo on Verizon's network.

Thanks.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=48493
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Thanks jroot.
  11.    #11  
    Well..looks like it's the speaker that dies and not the phone part. I just tried a different speaker and it works fine.

Now just need to go find some replacement speaker
  12.    #12  
    steng01, have you got around to signing up with sprint and getting a replacement phone?

I took the time two days ago to call sprint and see if there was a way to get a replacement. Supposedly you do NOT have to be a sprint customer to get a replacement, the lady seemed like she knew what she was talking about too. So I'm going to try to get it replaced at a local Sprint store and if that doesn't work, then call back Sprint and see if I can get someone to help out.
    jroot,
    No, I haven't. I just received the credit fraud form to fill out. Major hassle. I have to dig up records dating back to 2000.

Do you have the number of that rep you spoke to? If you are successful, please tell me which store you went to. Hopefully in the NYC area. This network search problem is killing me.
  14.    #14  
    steng01, I asked the rep if she had an extension but she didn't, she said that it was a customer service center and they didn't have extensions.

Nonetheless, the number I called was: 18778511830

I think I faked it like I was a sprint customer and eventually tried to get to technical support. I'll let you know once I try to return it to the Sprint store, but I need to set the phone back to all original values before.

Also, I'm in the Boston area, so that doesn't help you much..but you might be able to get someone on the phone and get them to say you can return it to the store, then say you tried and they'll probably arrange for a replacement.
    Jroot,

Have your recieved your replacement from sprint yet?

steve
  16.    #16  
    Steve,

Well bad news for me..Apparently my phone is fradulent(sp?).

I just went yesterday and here's the deal...you'll have to activate a account with your current phone and then they'll request an replacement from their warehouse (which gets there in like 2-3 days). Then you bring in your broken phone for exchange and then you can just cancel your account.

As for my phone, no clue why it's fradulant...guess that's what I get from buying off eBay. Anyhow, I did fix my speaker problem and just put a new speaker in it from an old phone.