1.    #1  
    I'm curious if anyone else has come across this? I'm a very happy Treo 600 CDMA user in the states with SprintPCS. I'll be doing considerable travel in europe in the next few years, and I need to add a GSM coverage of some type. In 2000, I purchased a french GSM phone and service, at that time AT&T did not offer GSM for it's cell network (which is what I had).

So, my choices now seem to be 1.) purchasing a $165 Nokia 3310 with GSM that will allow my phone number to work in europe, ringing that phone rather than my treo (which needs to be off while I'm away), or 2.) purchase another cell provider there in France,or here in the US (ie T-mobile) that can allow me to use GSM everywhere.

Then again, if I go to T-mobile for GSM, I might as well exit from Sprint (but I'm still inside their 2 year service agreement) and go to some provider for GSM with a Treo. Even though it's speed is 1/3 of CDMA.

Any other ideas?

Brian
    Quote Originally Posted by bcbaker
    1.) purchasing a $165 Nokia 3310 with GSM that will allow my phone number to work in europe, ringing that phone rather than my treo (which needs to be off while I'm away)

2.) purchase another cell provider there in France,or here in the US (ie T-mobile) that can allow me to use GSM everywhere.

...(but I'm still inside their 2 year service agreement) and go to some provider for GSM with a Treo.

Even though it's speed is 1/3 of CDMA.
    If you spend $165 for the Nokia or approx. the same for a cell provider in France you will end up spending the same amount that it would cost just to end the 2 year service agreement with Sprint. I would see if I can get a T-Mob Treo to play with for one week and see if you can deal with the speed difference. Also, if their coverage here in the US is good for you.

Just my 2 cents...
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    I keep a cingular GSM Treo that I use in Europe and switch back to my Verizonized one when I am staying in the states. If you travel to Europe a lot and cant stand GSM in the US, then this is a solution.
  4.    #4  
    I checked Cingular's roaming rate in europe. It's 1.29 per minute, as compared to Sprint's 1.50 per min using the same single service plan. For now, I have decided to purchase a Nokia 3310 from Sprint to use it while in Europe.

Maybe eventually Sprint will offer a GSM Treo for use in Europe some day.

Brian
    I have a pay as you go fone for europe, it was like 50quid and the cards are in 10 and 20 quid increments. Since i only go once a year, its the best way to go. Then you can get prepaid time for like .01quid/min for long distance. I think its the best way to go... altho i dont talk that much when im there.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Can't you just rent the phone from Sprint instead of buying it? Or is it cheaper just to buy it since you'll be overseas frequently?
  7.    #7  
    Sprint's rental charge is $35/week. So, at this rate, the break even is 11 or 12 weeks. I will be spending more like 20 weeks per year for the next 2 years.

Brian
  8. ceb
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Buy aphone in Europe - get a prepaid SIM card and call the US and give them your new number. In Europe incoming calls are free and by using cheap overseas service peoplein the US can call you for .03 a minute
    Cheers

Charles