Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Instead of learning all of this and going through the trial and error, can I simply pay someone here to setup a Treo on Verizon? I have a LG on Verizon but really need e-mail. I really don't want a Blackberry

You tell me what you want and I'll stop by Sprint and pickup a Treo.

Anyone in the So.Cal area that can make this happen ASAP?
    i'm in socal... shoot me a PM
    -- derby
    Verizon finally approved the Treo 600 yesterday. It is now just a matter of time getting product into the pipeline. I spoke with my business rep today and he said he will only get 2 days notice before it becomes available. Can you wait just a little bit longer?
    why do people want a treo on verizon so bad when verizons data options are non-exsistant and the data options are the entire reason to have a treo?
    Because in my experience the Verizon network (in most locations) is significantly better than the Sprint network. I hade Sprint service when the Sprint Treo 600 first was released and as I traveled the country on business, it was amazing the places I could not get good coverage, including a hotel in NYC where my VZ phone (which I carried as a back-up) got 4 bars.

Also important is the really bad customer service that Sprint offers compared to the great VZ customer support.

As to network and customer support, go look at the Consumer Reports survey from a few months agao to see that in almsot every city, Verizon's network ranked first and Sprint was way down among carriers. Same for customer service. So, in addition to being my subjective anecdotal experience, it was proved true in a more scientific analysis.

Lastly, within a year Verizon will roll out EV-DO nationwide (400Kbs, bursting higher). If you get the express network plan you can use the slower network on your Treo (only because the Treo does not support EV-DO) and use the same express network on your laptop at the broadband speeds.

So, those are my reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by blondegoalie
    why do people want a treo on verizon so bad when verizons data options are non-exsistant and the data options are the entire reason to have a treo?
    My data pulls directly from my minute plan so I could care less what the data plans cost. I am averaging around 110kb/s (I tested on CNET site several times) connecting to the web, I just want a faster processor and not to have to write with the stylus anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by ihparker
    Because in my experience the Verizon network (in most locations) is significantly better than the Sprint network. I hade Sprint service when the Sprint Treo 600 first was released and as I traveled the country on business, it was amazing the places I could not get good coverage, including a hotel in NYC where my VZ phone (which I carried as a back-up) got 4 bars.

Also important is the really bad customer service that Sprint offers compared to the great VZ customer support.

As to network and customer support, go look at the Consumer Reports survey from a few months agao to see that in almsot every city, Verizon's network ranked first and Sprint was way down among carriers. Same for customer service. So, in addition to being my subjective anecdotal experience, it was proved true in a more scientific analysis.

Lastly, within a year Verizon will roll out EV-DO nationwide (400Kbs, bursting higher). If you get the express network plan you can use the slower network on your Treo (only because the Treo does not support EV-DO) and use the same express network on your laptop at the broadband speeds.

So, those are my reasons.

WTF is up with all you people going on about customer support. Do you call them all the time or what. So Sprint can be wacked. So what if you never call them. I am just curious why the big need for support. I've been w/Sprint 7 years and I only call when I switch phones.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  8. djc
    As mentioned above, Verizon's Treo 600 will be out shortly. Our company had a product demonstration and that vendor used a Verizon Treo to demonstrate. I'd guess by month's end, if not sooner in limited numbers.
    djc- my VZ corporate rep says I am on his unofficial list, but that he has gotten no word when the Treo will be released..
    anyone in boston wanna make some money on the side and convert my sprint 600 to vz?
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    WTF is up with all you people going on about customer support. Do you call them all the time or what. So Sprint can be wacked. So what if you never call them. I am just curious why the big need for support. I've been w/Sprint 7 years and I only call when I switch phones.
    maybe you call them when:

1. you get double-billed (they charge your bill amount TWICE to your credit card)

2. they screw up the minutes on your phone, or don't have other sprint users coded properly (charging you for what should be free unlimited pcs-to-pcs calling)

3. they charge you a ton on roaming when no friggin roaming indicator comes on

all good reasons to FORCE YOURSELF to deal with the horrid customer service.

FYI, i left after i received a $500+ sprint bill which incorrectly coded one of NYC's boroughs as roaming, and to add insult to injury it was double-charged to my credit card. nice to see a $1000+ charge for monthly service that averaged around $30-50. took over a dozen calls, half-dozen emails, multiple escalations, maybe 5-6 hours total time to get it resolved.

the ONE TIME this happened on verizon (got a $200 bill because of voicemail system problems) they just looked at my average monthlies and said, don't worry, we'll just credit you the difference vs your average (total time: 20 minute call)

woof, maybe you've never been double-charged, but EVERYONE i know that has sprint has had that happen at least once in the past 18 months. then again, maybe you don't care about paying double for service.
    Last edited by BaldyTheEagle; 12/09/2004 at 12:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Good question. I was with Sprint for a few years and it was tolerable before my business became more dependent on coverage for voice AND data. When there were network problems which make text messaging unavailable in certain areas, I'd call to check and... well... you know how that turns out.

VZW has the same problems but when you call to report them, they usually address them and often call you back with status. They have some clueless reps too but VZW customers know how to play the game. We politely hang up on the clueless ones and dial back to get someone good.

Now I'm using my Treo like a Blackberry. I depend on the data side more and more so I need the coverage. The $5 plan w/Sprint won't give me the data coverage. Also, when things go south, I can call VZW for resolutions.