1.    #1  
    I have been using my Treo 600 on the Verizon network for a few days now and I have noticed that it consistently has worse signal strength than my other VZ phones. I gave my son my old LG VX6000 and we were comparing signal strength this weekend. Where I had 3 bars, he had 4. My 1 was his 2.

At first I thought that this was a calibration issue; that the phone was just calibrated so that the scale was different. But call quality was also worse in marginal areas (the ones where I had 1 bar and he had 2).

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, it could explain why VZ has yet to roll out the Treo. VZ takes its netowrk performance very seriously...it is there stated differentiation..
    Quote Originally Posted by ihparker
    Has anyone else experienced this? If so, it could explain why VZ has yet to roll out the Treo. VZ takes its netowrk performance very seriously...it is there stated differentiation..
    /me raises hand.
    My only suggestion would be to make sure you're using the latest PRL on both phones (*228 option 2) and make sure that you're using Verizon's PRL on your treo and not Sprint's. When I originally activated my T600 it was using Sprint's PRL and therefore Sprint's towers most of the time and therefore the service was terrible even though Verizon signal is very good in my area. (BTW, I'm not bashing sprint's service in general, just in my area...)
  4.    #4  
    I am definetly using Verizon's PRL. I know this because when I dial *228, I get VZ and do the option 1 and 2 programming.

The signal strength is definetly inferior to other VZ phones. Useable but inferior.
    Just curious...when dialing *228 what does the option 1 do? I've done it to previous verizon phones, but I'm afraid to "program" my treo.
    Thats very strange...I get great signal. I just traveled last week from boston to myrtle beach, SC...no signal problems. My family has both LG4400 and the Kyocera slider...my signal was just as good as theirs the whole trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by ihparker
    I have been using my Treo 600 on the Verizon network for a few days now and I have noticed that it consistently has worse signal strength than my other VZ phones. I gave my son my old LG VX6000 and we were comparing signal strength this weekend. Where I had 3 bars, he had 4. My 1 was his 2.

At first I thought that this was a calibration issue; that the phone was just calibrated so that the scale was different. But call quality was also worse in marginal areas (the ones where I had 1 bar and he had 2).
    Since the number of bars, as an indicator of signal strength, varies by phone vendor; have you done further comparison using the RSSI reading on the phone? I know on the Treo you can see the signal represented numerically by dialing ##DEBUG and the center button. Not sure about the LG VX6000. It would be nice to find out what the actual RSSI value is on both phones. I am getting ready to convert a Treo 600 tomorrow & currently have the LG. Also have you noticed more dropped calls than your son?
  8.    #8  
    Yes, I have noticed more dropped calls and also noticed places where the VX6000 works well and the Treo gets poor reception. So. it is not just a signal bar indicator issue.
    That's dissapointing to hear. I just received my serial cable and was going to start the conversion. I may not now. I wonder if the Verizon Treo 600 will be calibrated any differently.
  10.    #10  
    My sense is that it will. Verizon is often criticized for lacking the coolest phones, but they make phonesgo through much more vigorous testing than other carriers because there selling point is the strength of the VZ network.