1.    #1  
    i've seen tidbits of info about cell phones coming out which will have dsl-like transfer speeds..anyone have more information about this or any ideas how long itll take sprint to implement this?
    Not anytime soon. The only thing that will boost speeds for Sprint (which is still arguably faster than any of its competitors) is the move to EVDV, which wont happen until sometime in 2005. This will require new hardware/devices, so Treo users will have to live with 1X for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by morphiend
    i've seen tidbits of info about cell phones coming out which will have dsl-like transfer speeds..anyone have more information about this or any ideas how long itll take sprint to implement this?
    Watch this video!

Verizon has alredy begun rolling out it's 1xEvDo in select markets and it expanding. Sprint won't roll out 1xEvDv until later (~2005 it's reported). Other GSM carriers in NA like ATT etc have also begun rolling out their 2.5 solutions like Edge while in Europe there are already some UMTs compatible headsets. Of course Korea and Japan are light years ahead of everyone else...

As far as the Treo, I would be very suprised if it supported 1xEvDo in the next gen, however Edge is a logical choice...

P.S. Checkout the cool shots of the Samsung i550 Palmos smartphone at the end of video. Awesome looking cdma phone for sprint!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    P.S. Checkout the cool shots of the Samsung i550 Palmos smartphone at the end of video. Awesome looking cdma phone for sprint!
    G, that was a pretty cool looking phone.....but that flip thing, I just cant go back to a flip. It was a PITA!
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    PalmOne would have to change the Treo hardware to take advantage of EDGE, so I don't see that happening anytime soon. Sprint has already stated (publicly I think) that they are bypassing EVDO simply because their 1X network is already faster than their competitors 2.5G solutions (Edge included). There is no real reason for them to increase their speeds at this point, because they're already the top of the heap. Once they roll out EVDV, though, they'll be able to deploy devices like the Treo with advanced data AND voice functionality, whereas Verizon's EVDO is data only, and will require a specific device (separate from your phone) to utilize the network. EVDO, IMHO, is a dead issue. EVDV and AT&T/Cingular's next offering (UMTS) is the next big thing.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    I think it's also interesting to notie that AT&T has basically dumped their existing wireless business on Cingular while retaining the AT&T Wireless name and forging a relationship with Sprint. Could be the cash cow that EvDv is looking for.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Watch this video!

Verizon has alredy begun rolling out it's 1xEvDo in select markets and it expanding. Sprint won't roll out 1xEvDv until later (~2005 it's reported). Other GSM carriers in NA like ATT etc have also begun rolling out their 2.5 solutions like Edge while in Europe there are already some UMTs compatible headsets. Of course Korea and Japan are light years ahead of everyone else...

As far as the Treo, I would be very suprised if it supported 1xEvDo in the next gen, however Edge is a logical choice...

can always trust in gfunk to bust out the knowledge!
    Quote Originally Posted by KKenna
    I think it's also interesting to notie that AT&T has basically dumped their existing wireless business on Cingular while retaining the AT&T Wireless name and forging a relationship with Sprint. Could be the cash cow that EvDv is looking for.
    Actually AT&T Wireless is still very much drawing new business. The recent MVNO deal with Sprint was through AT&T - the landline company. Once ATTWS joins with Cingular, the naming rights to AT&T Wireless default back to the parent company, who will begin selling wireless services under that name. However, as with Qwest, Sprint will provide the network.