1.    #1  
    For the past few days now, I've been getting calls from "Blocked Caller Id" (sometimes 15+ times/rings in a row.) Sometimes I answer and either (1) the other line hangs up or (2) I get silence on the other end.

Soon after, I get these SMS notes with the "please call" message, complete with wierd looking phone numbers, most notably with a 1-800 number. Of course, this has to be some sort of scam and am wondering if anyone else here has experienced the same problems.

###
    I got the "Blocked Caller ID" call around 1:30am and the SMS notes with wierd phone numbers around the same time as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by JBoogie
    I got the "Blocked Caller ID" call around 1:30am and the SMS notes with wierd phone numbers around the same time as well.
    There was a news story on the new telemarketing campaign last week.

Seems that telemarketers are going after SMS Users, which can be very costly for some receivers.

This way; they can bypass the "Do Not Call Registry", and email limitations put upon them by Congress.

There are now investigating this next attack on your privacy, SMS Spam.
    These "please call" messages are what you receive if instead of a voicemail, you send a numeric page. You can try it by calling your phone and it will ask you if you'd like to leave a numeric page, send one and "please call" is what is displayed. So, it could be that telemarketer is staying on the line and doing that (or maybe they have a 'bot' that does it?)
    --
    Brent Haag
    A few days ago in the UK, there was a spate of similar spamming SMS messages. The message read that there was a voicemail waiting, and included a number to ring to get the message. I was immediately suspicious as I am on Orange, and they do not send a text message about voicemail - Orange phones display an icon indicating a voicemail. Also, the number included was obviously not the Orange voicemail number, and looks suspiciously like a 'premium rate' number - very expensive to call.