1.    #1  
    I will be purchasing a Treo 600 soon and need some help to determine if Sprint is the carrier for me. I live in Atlanta, but travel the state of GA and the surrounding souteastern states on business. The questions I have for anyone with Sprint service in the southeat is:
    1. How is the coverage outside the major / larger cities?
    2. Can the Sprint Treo 600 roam on the Verizon network when there is no Sprint network coverage available?
    3. The free and Clear America plan - is there any limitations on out of network roaming? ie, limited to 100 min. monthly of out of network roaming-

I need good overall phone coverage, not 100%, but not just limited to major cities and Interstate Hwys for the phone coverage ( I realize data will be limited to the larger cities and major Hwys), in or out of the Sprint network.

Thanks for your help!
    I live in Atlanta and have been with Sprint for almost 2 years, first with a t300 and then a t600. I've actually been impressed with the coverage. I travel to a lot of Georgia's smaller towns for my job and I use my cellphone quite a bit. I used to have AT&T Wireless back in the pre-GSM days when they had outstanding digital and analog coverage. With Sprint, I get coverage in almost every town I visit and most everywhere one would expect digital coverage. I really haven't missed the AT&T service. I would recommend the $5 unlimited roaming plan if you're going to do a lot of driving in rural areas, although Sprint has its own coverage in most towns in the area. I'm sure Verizon and Cingular are a little better, but it's not because there are huge dead spots in Sprint's coverage. It's more likely you'll find that Verizon and Cingular have coverage expanding out from small towns a little further or have a little better building penetration. Unless it's really critical that your cellphone work 100% of the time, I wouldn't worry too much about Sprint's coverage. The main times I lose coverage are driving in the middle of nowhere, and then I just wait a few minutes for coverage to come back. I signed up with Sprint because of the data plan. That's far more useful to me than the slightly-better coverage I would expect from Cingular or Verizon. The data coverage actually works in most places where there's Sprint coverage. So just because you're off the interstate, that doesn't mean you won't get email.

Like many people here, I am disappointed with Sprint's customer service. This really wouldn't be a problem if the T600 weren't also prone to hardware failures. The Sprint network itself works fine, although probably not quite as well as Verizon's. If I ever dump the T600 and stop using wireless data, I'll probably switch to Verizon. But it won't be because of the coverage.
  3.    #3  
    Any other Sprint users from GA out there?...ur comments are appreciated!
    I was in ATL this weeked. I stayed on the big roads, but the service (Sprint) was on almost the whole time. The only place I had problems was using Vision at the Buildings behind the HiFi Buys Amiptheater. The phone still worked, but vision wouldn't reliably connect/stay connected.

D.C.
    I live in Savannah and have nothing good to say about Sprints coverage here. In the middle of the city coverage is excellent, go into any neighnorhoods or any surrounding areas and the coverage is minimal outside and non existant indoors. I travel to jacksonville weekly and Up to Atlanta, Buckhead, Rome, and Athens very often. All of Atlantas area including Metro Atlanta have always had great coverage. Rome is spotty and Athens can be a pain sometimes. But overall in the Atlanta area I have been very impressed. Further south in Georgia coverage is spotty at best.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by FreePour
    I live in Savannah and have nothing good to say about Sprints coverage here. In the middle of the city coverage is excellent, go into any neighnorhoods or any surrounding areas and the coverage is minimal outside and non existant indoors. I travel to jacksonville weekly and Up to Atlanta, Buckhead, Rome, and Athens very often. All of Atlantas area including Metro Atlanta have always had great coverage. Rome is spotty and Athens can be a pain sometimes. But overall in the Atlanta area I have been very impressed. Further south in Georgia coverage is spotty at best.
    Thanks for the info....I assume that the reception you are getting is with the treo 600?.....Can u roam on the Verizon network when not in a Sprint coverage area (using the Treo 600)?

Thanks for your help!
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    I also live in Atl and switched from ATT to sprint to get a T600. I dont travel much out of the ATL area, but the times I have been up to Cleavland GA and down to the deep south around Tifton/Valdosta I have maintianed a good signal. There were some patches of roaming on the back roads once you leave the interstate, but at both destinations (midway between Helen and Cleavland and a farm in Lenox GA about 30 miles off 75 between Vladosta and TIfton) I had better covarage than with ATT...in fact I was able to surf all the way to the house in Lenox. ON the way to the house in Cleavland surfing was lost due to roaming. In all I have been very happy with the coverage.
    Spent the last 2 weeks in Atlanta and Eastern Florida ... had no coverage problems at all.
    Serpico
    ---------
    Newton->Palm Pilot->PalmIII->PalmVII->iPaq->i705->Treo300->Treo600->Treo650
    Been using Sprint for 3 years in Atlanta and the coverage is great. In the country I find that small towns usually have coverage or roaming, that is the actual towns, sometimes however once you leave the towns the coverage drops off quickly. One example is that in Franklin Springs I have coverage. Right when I leave FS I start roaming until I pass through Royston, 2 miles from FS, then I lose all coverage. I have no coverage at all between the cities of Hartwell and Elberton.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by carter437
    Been using Sprint for 3 years in Atlanta and the coverage is great. In the country I find that small towns usually have coverage or roaming, that is the actual towns, sometimes however once you leave the towns the coverage drops off quickly. One example is that in Franklin Springs I have coverage. Right when I leave FS I start roaming until I pass through Royston, 2 miles from FS, then I lose all coverage. I have no coverage at all between the cities of Hartwell and Elberton.
    Is that coverage when you are using a Treo 600???.....other phones have multiband, where as the treo 600 has single band...this makes a difference in roaming.
    OK, I am a Sprint fan (& longtime user) but I think these reviews are a bit off - perhaps overly optimistic. First of all, take a look at the coverage maps. You'll see the Sprint PCS coverage areas are basically along the interstates and larger cities - and of course metro Atlanta is fairly well saturated. I'm not really sure why anyone would characterize Sprint's rural (off-interstate) coverage as anything other than totally absent - except for those few state highways where they've extended their buildout. On the Sprint coverage maps, it's important to note that the light green area covering the state of Georgia is actually VERIZON coverage.

Verizon has converted their entire GA service territory to digital - both the former Airtouch areas of N GA and the recently acquired Cellular One/Price areas of S GA. Your Treo600 will roam on Verizon if you have digital roaming enabled, which is a great improvement over the Treo300 which had no roaming capability. I spend a lot of time on rural roads, and while it's not cheap, I do like the peace of mind in knowing that I can make a call if I need to. I've admittedly never tried to use Vision type services (such as e-mail) while roaming on Verizon's network because I've always assumed they wouldn't work. Take a look at the Verizon digital maps for GA, the coverage is much better than Sprint's.

I'm staying with Sprint for now - but when my current plan is up, I may take a hard look at the devices available with Verizon and see if it makes sense to switch.

Brandon
  12.    #12  
    Brandon,

Thanks for the info, it is very useful. I will not have a great requirement to use the Vison services while roaming, but like you I do travel the state and need to make sure that the Treo 600 can roam on Verizons network - to to receive and make calls.

You indicated that you can roam on the much more extensive verizon network if "digital roaming is enabled"...not sure what you mean - do you mean if roaming included with my Sprint plan? You also indicated that roaming is not cheap, but Sprint does have a plan in which roaming is included (additional $5 and according to the Sprint rep I talked to the roaming is not limited to only 50% of my plan, as it can be up to my plan limits).

As you are a long time Sprint customer, do you know of a Sprint store / rep that is knowledgable about the T600?

Tour help is greatly appreciated.
    Bill
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    cbt: The original poster stated he is getting a T600. This means that Verizon is out for him. I dont see where anyone has posted misleading statements about coverage. I can only speak for myself about actual usage, but I do know that the coverage maps are usualy out of date the moment they are printed. Instead of trying to have the guy change his service to one that doesnt even carry the Treo he is purchasing, try answering his questions about TREO usage in the areas he asks about!
    Quote Originally Posted by BillK400
    You indicated that you can roam on the much more extensive verizon network if "digital roaming is enabled"...not sure what you mean - do you mean if roaming included with my Sprint plan?
    From the T600 dialpad, go to Options > Phone Preferences > and check the box beside "Enable Digital Roaming"

You also indicated that roaming is not cheap, but Sprint does have a plan in which roaming is included (additional $5 and according to the Sprint rep I talked to the roaming is not limited to only 50% of my plan, as it can be up to my plan limits).
    That is actually news to me. I just moved, and was about to change my plan, so this is something I will definitely inquire about. The last time I checked, the only off-network roaming option Sprint provided was something along the lines of 50 minutes for $5 or similar, so if this is true, it will be a welcome option. Thanks for the tip.

As you are a long time Sprint customer, do you know of a Sprint store / rep that is knowledgable about the T600?
    Sorry, can't help you there. I've found most all of the store droids to be fairly worthless and try to avoid the stores at all costs. You'll find the wealth of info available from the members of this forum to be much better than anything you'll ever get from a store employee or first tier rep on the phone. (Though sometimes, you have to be careful to separate the wheat from the chaff on this forum)

Good luck,

Brandon
    Hi Aaron,

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron C
    The original poster stated he is getting a T600. This means that Verizon is out for him.
    Admittedly, I don't really keep up with what Verizon offers. But I wasn't trying to get him to swap to Verizon anyway, read on...

I dont see where anyone has posted misleading statements about coverage. I can only speak for myself about actual usage, but I do know that the coverage maps are usualy out of date the moment they are printed.
    I didn't use the term 'misleading', you did. I said they were "perhaps overly optimistic", which I absolutely stand by. No doubt the coverage is getting better, but it's hard to argue that the coverage is most rural areas is anything other than nonexistent.

You're right about the coverage maps being out of date, but you have to give credit to Sprint for continuing to build out their GA coverage... I mean, a few years ago you wouldn't get a signal anywhere other than on the interstates and metro Atlanta. Now they've got the US76 corridor almost complete (in the mountains), there is great coverage in and around Macon, including 49 to Milledgeville, and even Waycross has gotten in on the act.

That being said, your earlier comments about getting a signal 30 miles from Lenox GA I think can be attributed to the benefits of exceptionally flat terrain. There are no other towers there other than those close to the interstate (for other readers, Lenox is actually ON I-75), and on a recent trip to Adel/Ray City/Lakeland just below Lenox, I was out of coverage about 15 miles from I75. Last week I could get a Sprint signal approximately 20 miles south of I-20 on 441 near Eatonton, but that is about as far as I can usually get from any interstate on a good day.

Instead of trying to have the guy change his service to one that doesnt even carry the Treo he is purchasing, try answering his questions about TREO usage in the areas he asks about!
    Well, I hope that's exactly what I did. It's a fact that Verizon's coverage area in GA is far superior to Sprint's, and you can roam on it with your Treo - which is exactly what the OP asked. Making this clear to the original poster doesn't necessarily mean I am trying to entice him to switch, even though I would always encourage everyone to always consider their options.

Take care,

Brandon
    We have about 10 Treo 600s at my company, based in Athens. Coverage is pretty consistent throughout North GA, but spotty on the borders (i.e., I have a house on Lake Hartwell in SC and can get no service in about a 5 mile range; also noticed that while travelling south from said locale, roaming reared it's ugly head, even in Toccoa.)