1.    #1  
    Every time I look at my monthly Sprint bill, I swear they seem to be adding new BS tax categories. My recent bill, to wit:

TAXES
    * California City Utility Users Tax................$.90
    * California 911 Tax.................................$.34
    * California Universal Lifeline Tele Service....$.50
    ???????? WTF is this tax???
    * California Relay Service Device Fund........$.14
    *California High Cost Fund Surcharge..........$.99
    ????????Again, WTF is this tax???
    * California State Excise Tax.....................$.08
    *Federal tax...........................................$1.48

Surcharges & Fees
    * California PUC Tax.....................................$.05
    * Federal Universal Service Fund.....................$.97
    * Federal E911............................................$.40
    WTF? What about the California 911 Tax above?
    * Federal Wireless Number Pooling and Portability...$1.10

###

Now, some of these taxes have to be bogus!

I'm curious as to what other states/city/counties pay in cell phone taxes, especially no sales tax states like New Hampshire and Oregon.

Cheers,
    Kevin
    California City Utility Users Tax................$.90
    The cut for the city

California 911 Tax.................................$.34
    To pay for 911 service

California Universal Lifeline Tele Service....$.50
    To subsidize phone service for poor people

California Relay Service Device Fund........$.14
    To pay for translators for converstations between you and someone using a TDD.

California High Cost Fund Surcharge..........$.99
    Corporate welfare tax because the Universal Lifeline tax is not high enough.

California State Excise Tax.....................$.08
    "Sales" tax

Federal tax...........................................$1.48
    Federal "Sales" tax

Surcharges & Fees
    Not sure...

* Federal Universal Service Fund.....................$.97
    To subsidise phone service for poor people

* Federal E911............................................$.40
    The FCC mandated E911, not the state. This is not a tax.
    The FCC allows the carriers to charge you extra to help pay to build the E911 infrastructure.
    The carrier sets the amount. I don't know if there is an upper limit that can be charged, but the carrier can elect not to collect this fee.

* Federal Wireless Number Pooling and Portability...$1.10
    The FCC allows the carriers to charge you extra to help pay for the number portability infrastructure.
    The carrier sets the amount. I don't know if there is an upper limit that can be charged, but the carrier can elect not to collect this fee.
    I have the world in my Palm
    For my 2 lines...

Taxes

Federal Tax 3.61
    Virginia State Wireless 911 Surcharge 1.50
    Fairfax County Wireless Utility Users Tax 6.00

Surcharges & Fees

Virginia State Special Fee 0.22
    Federal Universal Service Fund 2.33
    Virginia State Wireless Gross Receipts Tax 0.54
    Federal E911 0.80
    Federal Wireless Number Pooling And Portability 2.20
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    My taxes and fees in Ohio make up approximately 14% of my total bill. (~$23)
    Massachusetts:

I've got:
    (I've got three seperate phone numbers on one bill)

Other Charges and Credits:
    9-1-1 Service Fee.......................0.30 per line
    Federal Universal Service Fund......1.20, 1.88, and 2.03
    Regulatory Cost Recovery Fee.......1.25 per line

Taxes, Surcharges, or Assessmenets
    Federal Excise Tax.......................1.54, 1.30, and 3.27
    State Sales Tax...........................2.55, 3.96, and 5.42

Doesn't appear to be too bad. The total bill was $471.70 and these charges only accounted for $27.80

However, I did notice this on one of the pages:

Regulatory Cost Recovery Fee
    Beginning with your April bill, the Regulatory Cost Recovery Fee
    has been increased to help defray costs incurred in complying
    with obligations and charges imposed by State and Federal
    telecom regularions, including the Telecommunications Relay
    Service Fund, wireless number pooling and portability,
    Enhanced 911 services, and the federal regulatory fee. Costs
    may be incurred and charged prior to the initiation of any of the
    respective services. To learn more, log on to
    http://www.cingular.com or call 1-866-246-4852
    GSM Treo 600 with Cingular
    New Avatar caused by:This Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thppfft
    Surcharges & Fees
    Not sure...
    PUC = Public Utilities Commission... my guess is that you're subsidizing the state's cost for phone lines, etc.
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Hi gang. Here's my question. Does 23.54% sound about right to you? I've got two lines and here's my break down. I live in sunny Miami-Dade County and here's what I pay (the county and state get 14.66%).

I'm curious as to whether anyone else in Miami-Dade is paying near the same amount.

Also, I've called the State of Florida and they have no idea where the tax rates are and sent me to SPCS...who of course, sends me to the State.

Line One: $119 p/month, -10.95 (credits p/month)= $108.05
    Tax for this line: $23.37

Line Two: $0.00 p/month <---add a phone
    Tax for this line: $2.06

The breakdown below is for both lines and appears as a total:

Taxes
    Miami-Dade County Local Communications Services Tax: 6.09
    Florida State Communications Services Tax: 9.77
    Federal Tax: 3.32
    Miami-Dade County Wireless 911 Surcharge: 1.00

Surcharges & Fees
    Federal Universal Service Fund: 2.25
    Federal E911: .80
    Federal Wireless Number Pooling And Portability: 2.20

Grand Total: $25.43

Thanks for your thoughts!
    Stop voting for people who impose all of those taxes on you.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister

Federal Wireless Number Pooling and Portability...$1.10

The wireless unmber pooling and portability fee is absolute bullshiite and illegal!! In fact, you can call your wireless provider and demand that it be removed! There was a whole huge lawsuit regarding this in which the wireless cariers lost and it enabled many users to cancel their contracts b/c of this. It basically was a scam (and probably still is) to charge users for number portability unjustifiably... Do a search at Hofo's for more info about this....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by 7zero
    Hi gang. Here's my question. Does 23.54% sound about right to you? I've got two lines and here's my break down. I live in sunny Miami-Dade County and here's what I pay (the county and state get 14.66%).

I'm curious as to whether anyone else in Miami-Dade is paying near the same amount.

Also, I've called the State of Florida and they have no idea where the tax rates are and sent me to SPCS...who of course, sends me to the State.

Line One: $119 p/month, -10.95 (credits p/month)= $108.05
    Tax for this line: $23.37

Line Two: $0.00 p/month <---add a phone
    Tax for this line: $2.06

The breakdown below is for both lines and appears as a total:

Taxes
    Miami-Dade County Local Communications Services Tax: 6.09
    Florida State Communications Services Tax: 9.77
    Federal Tax: 3.32
    Miami-Dade County Wireless 911 Surcharge: 1.00

Surcharges & Fees
    Federal Universal Service Fund: 2.25
    Federal E911: .80
    Federal Wireless Number Pooling And Portability: 2.20

Grand Total: $25.43

Thanks for your thoughts!
    A fellow South Floridian here ... just a tad north, though.

Here's my bill:

Monthly service ..................................... $85.00
    Palm Bch Cty Local Comm. Services Tax ..... $ 5.21
    FL State Communications Services Tax ...... $ 7.56
    Federal Tax .......................................... $ 2.53
    Palm Bch County 911 Surcharge ............... $ .50
    Federal Universal Service Fund ................. $ 1.74
    Federal E911 ......................................... $ .40
    Federal WNP&P ...................................... $ 1.10
    Total: $19.04

Compared to my bill, that is 22.4% in taxes.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
  11.    #11  
    Saw this item the other day; sheds more light into the subject:

Cell providers pass on taxes to customers
    By Bruce Myerson, Associated Press
    May 15, 2004
    http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...printstory.jsp

NEW YORK - Regulatory Programs Fee. That sure sounds like a government tax. It isn't. The latest addition to T-Mobile's monthly bill is merely the latest example of telephone companies passing their own cost of doing business to their customers with an array of surcharges that one might easily mistake for taxes being collected on behalf of the government.

Actually, T-Mobile's monthly charge of 86 cents is among the more clearly labeled.

At Verizon Communications, monthly bills for high-speed DSL Internet service will now include a surcharge ranging from $2 to $3 a month called "Supplier FUSF Recovery,'' while DSL bills at SBC Communications now show an "FUSF pass-through fee'' of $1.86 for new and renewing subscribers.

Cell phone subscribers at Nextel Communications pay $1.55 a month for "Federal-Programs Cost Recovery.'' Other extras include a "Federal TRS Charge'' and “State-Gross Receipts Recovery," though there's at least a footnote below owning up to the fees as Nextel's doing.

With millions of subscribers at each company, these relatively small fees add up to billions of dollars per year in extra revenue from what amounts to an unofficial price increase. And in the case of the cell phone industry, companies are forcing their customers to reimburse them for basic marketing and customer retention costs.

In truth, many of the surcharges like those imposed this year by DSL and wireless providers reflect real costs related to each company's compliance and payments in support of government-mandated "public goods.'' These include emergency 911 service and maintaining phone service for poor and rural customers.

Compounding matters, the telecom industry has been seized upon by opportunistic state and local governments as a convenient source of additional tax revenue. But in turn, companies are increasingly seizing upon vague regulatory rules to extract compensation from customers in a less-than forthright manner.

The companies are legally permitted by the Federal Communications Commission and local regulators to defray many of their regulatory burdens by charging extra.

But nowhere in the rules does it say that the companies should recover their costs through a surcharge to the basic price of service. Unfortunately, the rules also don't force them to include the fees with the advertised price.

Not surprisingly, then, nearly every major wired and wireless phone company has exploited these vagaries to boost their prices without having to raise their advertised rates. And since all the companies have imposed these stealth price hikes, the market forces regulators expected to contain them have proven negligible.

Most troubling is the new breed of fees rolled out by all the major cell phone companies to defray the costs of complying with the federal rule allowing subscribers to switch service providers without losing their phone numbers.

On Thursday, the FCC reported that more than 2 million people had switched carriers since the rules took effect in late November.

The wireless companies, which are each collecting from $10 million to $25 million a month in surcharges, clearly incurred some expense in upgrading their computer systems and operations to handle the new process. Verizon Wireless and Cingular Wireless both estimated their set-up costs at more than $50 million. But assertions by all the carriers that they've spent hundreds of millions more remain undocumented and questionable.

Verizon and T-Mobile, for example, opened new facilities to focus on processing requests to move phone numbers to and from their companies. But the hundreds of new employees hired to staff such centers are also essentially selling the company's product, and presumably spend considerable time either luring new business or trying to dissuade potential defectors.
    All the phone companies vehemently defend the practice of using surcharges, saying they want their customers to know that overbearing government taxes and regulations are forcing them to pad the bill.

###
    Isn't the amount of greed amazing?