1.    #1  
    Well, I have been running the BC update since it came out (10-14 days?) and I will say that I think it cured the problems of slowing Outlook to a crawl. I am quite pleased. I think it also fixed the problem of the desktop not reconnecting when I was away from the office. The only problem I really see lately is that Sprint's BC server is down a lot. Otherwise I give it a thumbs up.
    I also have had very good luck with this new version. Its lots better!
    I would suggest setting up a outlook rule that would be triggered by a specific email to remotly start and stop your Bizconnect. I have this setup so if i forget to startup bizcon before i head home, I just send myself an email from my fone and remotely startup bc...
  3.    #3  
    Wow Tomas - excellent idea!
    That sounds like a fabulous idea, because sometimes my BC switches off while I'm away. How do you set up the rule exactly? Thanks!
    Jean
    Setting up a rule is easy. just go to "Tools/rule@alerts/" in outlook.
    When you create the rule, there should be a "run application" event available.

But my problem is that BC disconnects and doesnt reconnect automatically, so just launching the app again wont make it disconnect.

Is there any way to shutdown the app then restart it? or is there any arguments that can be passed to the .exe to tell it to reconnect?

thanks

Mark
    There is an application called pskill, its a command like app. You just pass it the application name your wanting to kill. "pskill businessconnect" will kill the process.
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pskill.shtml
    Thats exactly what I did.
    Ok - I tried the pskill route - but I am not understanding how to download and then copy into a rule....sorry about the newb question but could someone take two minutes and walk us through a step by step....much appreciated.

D
    Copy the file somewhere on your computer, write a batch file that just runs the pskill with the businessconnect as the only param, and then make outlook run that batchfile as a program.
    Alrighty, Step by Step.

First. Download pskill and place it in you Windows/system32 directory

create a batch file using textpad. call it somthing like bckill.bat
    make sure it doesnt end in .TXT. Make sure you change the "Save as Type" to "all files" and then the name bckill.bat

in that file just add the one line:

pskill businessconnect.exe

place that file somewhere it wont be moved. like in the c:\ directory

next, open outlook and create a rule. This is under "tools\rules and alerts" (im using outlook 2003)
    youll want to make 2 rules. one to stop BC and one to start it.

Stop BC:
    Apply this rule when a message arrives with "bc stop" in the subject line start killbc.bat

(you will have to do the rule yourself using the wizard. its pretty self explaintory.)

Start BC:
    Apply this rule when a message arrives with "bc start" in the subject line, start buisnessconnect.exe

(you will have to find the actual location of these files using thier file chooser)

Thats all there is to it.
    When you want to shut down bc, send yourself an email with "bc stop" in the subject line, or to start it, "bc start" in the subject line.

Hope that helps. Cant really explain it any easier.

Mark
    Whoah. This is the coolest idea I've seen in a very long time. Thanks!!!
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I agree this is a cool method to get the application started. I tried it and it started the program but did not "connect". Usually when I have this problem I have the program running when I leave at night but for some reason I lose the connection.

Do you know of a way to start the application and activate "Connect"?

Much appreciated. Your help has been invaluable.
    Quote Originally Posted by ralerner
    I agree this is a cool method to get the application started. I tried it and it started the program but did not "connect". Usually when I have this problem I have the program running when I leave at night but for some reason I lose the connection.

Do you know of a way to start the application and activate "Connect"?

Much appreciated. Your help has been invaluable.
    There should be a preference in the setup for BC (err...Seven) that says automatically connect when started - it's right near the option to start the application when Windows starts... hope this helps!

L
    Lee Ladisky
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Thanks for that tip, but my problem is slightly different. The application is running, just not connected. Therefore, I need to send a message to tell it to "Connect". any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by jdk2man
    Setting up a rule is easy. just go to "Tools/rule@alerts/" in outlook.
    When you create the rule, there should be a "run application" event available.

But my problem is that BC disconnects and doesnt reconnect automatically, so just launching the app again wont make it disconnect.

Is there any way to shutdown the app then restart it? or is there any arguments that can be passed to the .exe to tell it to reconnect?

thanks

Mark
    Am I missing something? I don't see where this can be set up in Outlook. I'm running Outlook 2000.
    Nevermind, i figured it out. Pretty cool.
    I'm unable to get the bckill part to work. I've followed the instructions and it seems to trigger some DOS prompt but bc doesn't shut down. Any suggestions. at the DOS prompt it says

Unable to kill process businessconnect.exe:
    Process does not exist

the bc start up works. the only thing i thought i was unsure about when saving the .bat file was what encoding to use.
    Last edited by BP57; 05/10/2004 at 11:13 AM.
  18.    #18  
    Yep, I am unable to get the kill to work either. Nothing seems to happen for me.
  19.    #19  
    Ok - i got it to work now with this as my bckill.bat:

C:\WINNT\system32\pskill.exe businessconnect
  20.    #20  
    hmmm strange - not working consistently. Any ideas?