Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    I just ordered a Sprint branded Treo 600 that I'm going to convert to Verizon mode and I had some questions about web browsing experience.

What kind of data plan would I need to get to access the web on my Treo 600?

I currently have the free Express Network that takes data out of my minutes, which I previously set up on my crappy Moto T720 to use free WAP web data on my phone.

Does the same apply to my Verizon account?

Also as for browsing speed, how is browsing the web on the Treo 600 with Verizon's network compared with browsing with the SPrint or GSM network?

Thanks and I can't wait to finally get my T600 on Verizon!
    I too am very interested in this question. If anyone who is successfully using verizon could answer this I would appreciate it!

-Brian
    I set-up EN from minutes when I was using the 7135. I do the same now with my Treo. I believe their slower network automatically works the same way.

The Treo is alot faster than the 7135 for browsing. I'm sorry to say that Sprint's data is faster, though not by leaps and bounds.
    I agree. Although not dramatically faster, Sprint's data network is as good as you can get right now for the price, and if you do a fair amount of surfing, there $15/month unlimited vision plan can't be beat.
    yeah i use my treo 600 on verizon and while it's not real fast it's not too bad. It takes my usage out of my minutes and I really wish verizon would release a cheaper unlimited plan cause there's no way i am paying 44.95.
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    hey merlin3, since you converted your Treo600 onto Sprint's network, you mindd if I email you some specific questions in case I have problems with the conversion? My treo is supposed to arrive this Friday. I'm so anxious!!
    merlin3, weren't you the one that was having problems before? All that discussion got lost with the TreoCentral crash. I am curious to see what happened and how you fixed it.
    yoyoyoo you can email me if you'd like and i'll try to help you. galenmd yes I was the one having all the problems. the way i fixed it was by exchanging my phone for a new one ; ). Now i have the rom all backed up so if the problem happens again i should be able to restore it. my phone and internet work fine but every since they ported my # over to verizon my voicemail alerts no longer work. i keep calling verizon and they tell me that it's fixed but no such luck.
    Hey merlin3, how did you back up your ROM before you did the conversion? I will be converting this weekend. I would also like to have you and GalenMD (thanks for the PMs I sent) as a reference just in case I run into some issues. I've heard Jackflash and Sprat are not compatible with the Treo 600. Thanks.
    I used a program called syncwizard and it allows you to backup the whole rom. I would recommend it as i somehow my first phones rom got messed up and it would not go into wireless mode. My only complaint with the treo is how much it resets using sms.
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    Hey Frenzy, im gonna be doing the conversion this weekend (or maybe even today) as well! So wish us luck!

btw any chance one of you guys who did the conversion is in the Southern California area?
    yOyOyoYoo! Keep me updated and I'll do the same. PM me if you have gotten any progress. I would take merlin's advice on backing up the ROM with Syncwizard just in case of anything. Unfortunately I am on the East Coast so we can't meet and transform our babies in person.

One thing Merlin, I just downloaded the trial for Syncwizard and it states that it is a full version with a nag screen. Do you need to buy the full version to get the ROM Backup and Restore to work? I don't mind buying it but if I just use it for that, then I really don't need it would be necessary. Wish us luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin3
    . My only complaint with the treo is how much it resets using sms.
    As I recall, this bug was fixed with the first firmware update available from handspring.

As far as data speed goes -- I think Sprint's download speed may be slightly faster, but as of a few months ago when my brother and I compared our Sprint and Verizon web speeds (both on treo 600s), his latency was much higher. Latency is the time between the time you request something and the time you start receiving data. The download speed I refer to above is the speed you get the data once it starts coming. (BTW, I live in MA.)
    HI! Where in Mass. are you located?

Which service has the higher "latency" I couldn't tell from your post if you were referring to Sprint or Verizon. I'm not sure if I should hassle with the conversion when I get my 600 next week

Todd
    I don't recall whether i had the full version of syncwizard or not. I believe it is the full version because I don't remember seeing a nag. If you want it you can email me or msg me and I'll send. Are there any firmware updates that will fix the sms resetting? I know there's one around but I want to make sure it's not going to mess up my phone.
    thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gross
    HI! Where in Mass. are you located?

Which service has the higher "latency" I couldn't tell from your post if you were referring to Sprint or Verizon. I'm not sure if I should hassle with the conversion when I get my 600 next week

Todd
    I'm located between Worcester and Boston.

The latency was higher on Sprint the time that my brother and I compared, so Sprint *felt* slower.

Whether or not you do the conversion to Verizon is really up to you-- in the area where I spend most of my time, Sprint's coverage is *really* patchy, but I only know of a couple of dead spots with verizon.

My brother lives in the boston area and gets good coverage with Sprint. My sister lives on the North Shore and gets better coverage with Sprint than she did with Verizon. So my suggestion to you would be to find out from people you know in your area how many calls they drop, how many dead spots they go through, etc. Also be sure to check on their thoughts on customer service. I personally have heard a lot of horror stories from Sprint customers about the customer service they've gotten. On the other hand I'm sure there are also horror stories about Verizon's customer service (although I must say my experience with them has been awesome!)