1.    #1  
    I'm kinda confused on a couple of issues and I would greatly appreciate anyones help.

And just for the record, I firmly do not believe that Verizon will have the Treo 600 on March 1. Maybe in July-August, and then sometime in 2005 the Treo 610, if that even exists. However I dont want to wait till July for the Treo 600 on Verizon, so I'm willing to get a Sprint one now and convert it.

1. If I have a virgin CDMA Treo 600 and do all the steps to connect it to Verizon, at what point does my current Verizon phone (VX6000) stop working on Verizon?

2. What happens if I buy a Treo 600 with Sprint service and then do all those steps to change it to Verizon. Is there a way to "undo" what I did? I've been wanting the Treo 600 for months, just based on everything from the web. However I've only actually touched it once. What I want to do now is buy one from Sprint with service, play with it for 15 days, then return. So during that time period I want to also convert it to Verizon just so I can test it out and make sure its everything I want it to be

3. So these steps that are posted here that show how to get a Sprint Treo 600 working on Verizon, include everything right? The Treo 600 would be working normal? Like I could access web pages, or send picture messages, and do everything I do now with my Verizon phone? Or is there still some limitations?

4. Also, I'm not sure of the engine in this phone. I know that the Kyo 7135 was powerfull enough to run programs like Pocket Quickbooks and stuff. Can I run a Pocket Quickbooks program on the Treo 600?

5. And does the Treo 600 come with an mp3 player or do I have to get some third party software?

Thanks,

cXn
  2. jjd
    I can't answer most of your questions, but I can tell you that a Verizon employee told me that the T600 would be out on Verizon before Summer, but not on march 1 as previously rumored.

--Jim--
  3.    #3  
    Yeah and the way I see it, somehow it will be in the middle of the summer. Thats why I want to get one now. Hopefully the others on this board that converted their Sprint Treo 600 to Verizon might be able to help me out with my questions.

Thanks,

cXn
  4.    #4  
    so nobody else has any views on this? I thought everyone on here was like an expert? Theres like over 180 replies on the TREO 600 WORKS ON VERIZON!!! thread. I'm planning on "renting" the Treo 600 today, so hopefully somebody who can answer my questions will be able to do so soon...i would greatly appreciate it

cXn
  5. jjd
    I'd certainly be interested in how it goes with your treo 600 "rental" and verizon. I.e. whether the instructions go smoothly and everything works.

Finally, I'm wondering what doesn't work when you have a Sprint T600 on verizon. For example, picture mail.

Let us know!

Thanks,

--Jim--
    Originally posted by crucifixion
    I'm kinda confused on a couple of issues and I would greatly appreciate anyones help.

And just for the record, I firmly do not believe that Verizon will have the Treo 600 on March 1. Maybe in July-August, and then sometime in 2005 the Treo 610, if that even exists. However I dont want to wait till July for the Treo 600 on Verizon, so I'm willing to get a Sprint one now and convert it.

1. If I have a virgin CDMA Treo 600 and do all the steps to connect it to Verizon, at what point does my current Verizon phone (VX6000) stop working on Verizon?

2. What happens if I buy a Treo 600 with Sprint service and then do all those steps to change it to Verizon. Is there a way to "undo" what I did? I've been wanting the Treo 600 for months, just based on everything from the web. However I've only actually touched it once. What I want to do now is buy one from Sprint with service, play with it for 15 days, then return. So during that time period I want to also convert it to Verizon just so I can test it out and make sure its everything I want it to be

3. So these steps that are posted here that show how to get a Sprint Treo 600 working on Verizon, include everything right? The Treo 600 would be working normal? Like I could access web pages, or send picture messages, and do everything I do now with my Verizon phone? Or is there still some limitations?

4. Also, I'm not sure of the engine in this phone. I know that the Kyo 7135 was powerfull enough to run programs like Pocket Quickbooks and stuff. Can I run a Pocket Quickbooks program on the Treo 600?

5. And does the Treo 600 come with an mp3 player or do I have to get some third party software?

Thanks,

cXn
    Im still waiting for my treo to get here, but I can pretty much answer your questions...

1. Your current phone will stop working when you call verizon and have them switch your connection to the ESN number of the treo.

2. You should be able to return it to its previous state. Just reverse the steps. Make sure you write down all the settings you chage with the Kyocera PST software.

3. As far as I have read (and Ive talked to GalenMD at length) everything works! I can give you more detailed info in week or so when I get my treo.

4. The processor in the treo is much faster than the Kyocera. I have the 7135, and hate how slow it is. The treo has a 144mhz processor as opposed to the 7135's 33mhz. The treo can run os5, where as the 7135 is stuck at 4..which means you can run more/more up-to-date programs.

5. You need to get a 3rd party program, more specifically, pocket tunes .

Hope that helps!
  7.    #7  
    Ah yes...the combination of both of your responses have helped.

However, now I have a little more detailed question...so now that we know the Treo has a stronger processor to run programs, is there infact a Pocket QuickBooks that works on the Treo? Or can I just buy any PDA type Pocket QuickBooks and load it on with a SD card, or is there one that specifically works with the Treo 600?

Thanks,

cXn
    I would be pretty sure the one you use on your kyocera would work just fine on the treo.
  9.    #9  
    Well I just bought the phone!!!

Im gonna play with it for a few days first before I start the switch to Verizon.

Something that I noticed right away...the camera sucks! I have the VX6000 and that takes okay pictures. I thought the camera on the Treo 600 would be better, but its such a poor quality. I tried both settings, the one where you get to take 600 pics, and the other with like 3000 pics, and they are just horrible...nothing is clear at all. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Well anyways I'm just playing with it now, getting the feel of it and stuff.

cXn
  10.    #10  
    Quick observations from my first playing around...

1. My god the camera sucks. You would think a 400 dollar phone could atleast have the same quality camera as the vx6000

2. How do I end the web session? Everytime I log on to the web, the only way I can disconnect is by turning off the phone.

3. I was using Pocket Tunes and for some reason the songs only came out of the speaker. When I plug in the earphone, nothing comes out there, only from the speakerphone on the phone

4. I was using SplashMoney and testing that out. How do I get the data from the phone to my computer? All I would need is just the data, so anything that I can send from the phone to the computer would be nice

5. I just signed up for the Sprint service today...anyone know why my SMS is only half working? Like I can send text messages from my Treo 600 to my VX 6000, and I can even send a picture message from my Treo 600 to my email. But anything I send to the Treo 600 never is recieved.

6. Is there a grafitti type program that will let you write whatever you want? I know the grafitti type they have know is that grafitti languge. But I want to just write as if I was using a pen writing on a pad of paper. Is that possible with the Treo 600?

7. I notice it has an IR port for beaming between other Treo 600s. Can this port be used as a remote control for the TV or something?

8. Is there a way to turn off the blinking status light?

9. I dont know what I'm not seeing, but I can not seem to assign a picture as a called ID. Isn't that possible???? I looked in the manual, but its instructions about assigning a called id, on page 125, has to do with caller id pics for your favorites???? Do I have to get a 3rd party app to be able to see a picture of my friend when they are calling me???

These were just the first that jumped out at me. Can anyone help me out on these?

Thanks,

cXn
    I can't help with everything, but here goes what I know...

#3. You need a stereo adapter that costs like $5 that converts the mini plug to a regular stereo jack. Check the treocentral store or the handspring site. The prices on ebay are really good. I suggest dans cellular accessories on ebay.

#5. Did you update the firmware? There is an update for the treo, and I think it has something to do with updating SMS ability. Someone else probably has more info.

#6. The 'memo' program that comes with most palms has a graphic mode that lets you just draw. There are also plenty of 3rd party programs like that. Go to palmgear.com or versiontracker.com for good places with freeware, shareware, and commercial software.

#7. The IR port can beam to almost any device with an IR port. I actually beamed a picture from a friends nokia phone to my 7135...the palm can pick up just about anything. And you CAN use it as a remote, if the IR is strong enough. My 7135 works fine, I hope the treo will too. The two programs to try are noviiremote and omniremote (which worked the best on my 7135).

#8. There are definately utilities that allow more control over the LED. Search the forum to find some...im not 100% about this.
  12.    #12  
    Thank you maswell, I appreciate all your responses that you have given me.

So then I take it, almost everyone who has a Treo 600, GSM or CDMA, or even any pda type phone, must have like about 20-30 third party apps running in there? Wow thats actually pretty cool. You can customize a pda phone to do exactly what you need.

Yeah after I return this, ill buy a virgin one off eBay and then convert it to Verizon.

So programs like SplashMoney, that came with my SprintCD, i'll still be able to use once I convert it to Verizon, or I'll have to use other Verizon compatible type 3rd party softwares?

And to anyone else who can answer my other questions, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

cXn
    Splashmoney, as with almost all palm apps, will work with the phone no matter who your carrier is, as far as I know.
    Q: 9. I dont know what I'm not seeing, but I can not seem to assign a picture as a called ID. Isn't that possible???? I looked in the manual, but its instructions about assigning a called id, on page 125, has to do with caller id pics for your favorites???? Do I have to get a 3rd party app to be able to see a picture of my friend when they are calling me???

A: Add the phone # as a "favorite"; then edit the favorite; click on "more"; add the image from there (from your inventory of images that you've taken with the generally cruddy camera. although there are tips on this site to improve the picture quality, and the QSet app helps).
  15.    #15  
    I can only do it in favorites?? Really? That sucks.

Theres only 50 slots for favorites, and about half of those favorites would go to my most used appls, which means I can only have about 25-30 people set up with picture caller ID.

I thought I could set a caller ID for all my contacts. This is not a very good setup.

cXn