Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
    I solved my problem of not being able to *228 to update the phone programming and PRL over the air. I had not changed my MSL code to all zeros "000000" during the service programming steps in the FAQ. After I made the MSL all zeros I was able to do the Verizon over the air programming. Thanks everyone for such a great FAQ! Now only if people would follow it correctly ;-)
    First - Thank you to all. Received my phone yesterday and this morning finished up the conversion. Everything seems to work! Even completed the updated and Hex code to get rid of "Sprint". What a great community of support and help- thank you. Instructions were great.
    What data bandwidth are you getting from your verizoned Sprint T600? The actual transfer rate, not just the rated connection speed. You can test your T600 speed (without Java, or anything else but the T600 Web browser) at http://www.2wire.com/?p=154 . My Sprint connection in NYC averages at about 105Kbps over a long time (1min), but is so bursty that it's really good for only ~32Kpbs in any 5sec window. That means buffering, which not all apps do, or can (realtime). What speed do you get, and where (geographically) are you?
    Quote Originally Posted by mattruby
    What data bandwidth are you getting from your verizoned Sprint T600? The actual transfer rate, not just the rated connection speed. You can test your T600 speed (without Java, or anything else but the T600 Web browser) at http://www.2wire.com/?p=154 . My Sprint connection in NYC averages at about 105Kbps over a long time (1min), but is so bursty that it's really good for only ~32Kpbs in any 5sec window. That means buffering, which not all apps do, or can (realtime). What speed do you get, and where (geographically) are you?
    boston, 91.2Kbps

via your link
    78-92 with much lower latency than cingular or t-mobile in addition to this 3 times the speed...
    Seattle - 17.8Kbps - could that be right?
    dayton, ohio 69kbps
    I have a few questions about the express 3g network from verizon

1) how is it billed? X per month for unlim internet like sprint pcs does it or are the people talking about having 3g subtracted from their minutes another way to have it setup?<p>
    2) What IS QNC people keep saying QNC username and password what is that?

<p>
    Is there anyway to have the picture sending / recieving service working or is that only sprintpcs as well> when you send pix i think it uses sprint servers

Thanks
  9.    #169  
    Vz has a few billing options. Some of us have managed to get them to extract data use from minutes, but apparently, that may be getting more difficult to do. I have heard that others are paying a 4.99 fee to get that done.

qnc is a slower data service that vz offers.
    I posted this on another thread but thought I would share the info here.

Ok, so a funny thing happened. I was searching on the web and found a post about someone else having slow Express Network connection. Capped at about 16K. To make a long story short, I emailed Verizon and asked them to check and see if my Express Network speed had been capped. I then asked if they could remove the cap. I haven't heard back but about an hour after I sent the email, my speeds jumped to 60 - 90k. That's up from 16-17. Now it is useable!
  11.    #171  
    Don't be so quick to think that did it. I, too, had a very slow rate. Without doing anything, my rate increased several hours later when I rechecked.

Overall, this is a study in futility. It is just nice to know what our services are capable of reaching. We cannot really compare rates unless carriers and phones are tested side by side and over multiple time periods.
    I've already found out that it very true. Later the same day my speeds dropped to 17k again. Tonight they are back up at 65k. I received an email from Verizon this evening stating:

Our records indicate that you do not have NationalAccess(Express Network) on you account. A Quick2Net connection will only connect at 14.4 Kbps.

If you are interested in adding NationalAccess to your account, please reply to this email with the plan of your choice.

Question - Does NationalAccess guarantee you the higher speeds?
  13.    #173  
    Everytime I tested my connection, it was greater than 14.4. My max was about 92, though I frequently get numbers in the teens too.

I think this will always be somewhat dissatisfying for me until something like the Ev-Do connection is made available. Hopefully, there will be a treo device made compatible for that when the day comes...
    I'm seeking the board's advice regarding my Treo conversion to Verizon. I just ported my number to Verizon from Sprint, and bought the Kyocera SE47 slider phone (my wife wants it once my Sprint Treo is activated on VZ). I have the 800 minute America's Choice plan, and several sales reps assured me that I could use data out of my voice minutes bucket with no additional fee.

The Kyocera shows that 1x is available. When I try to select Mobile Web, I get the following message:
    "Security is not enabled. Enabling security can take several minutes, Proceed?"

When I select Yes, the data connection goes active and data is sent. I then get an error "Security error: key not recognized".

My question: Is this just something to do with account settings on the Kyocera phone, or does it mean that data is not properly provisioned on my account? I'd rather not start the Treo conversion process until I'm fairly certain that my account is set up to allow 1xMOU/1xPP1 data.

Edited to add: I noticed that I can use the Get It Now features, I was able to download and play a free trial of a game. I have heard that Get It Now uses the 1x connection. If so, then does my successful download prove that my account is provisioned correctly?

Thanks.
    Last edited by bram; 06/23/2004 at 11:45 PM.
    Bram-

I have had that message in the distant past on a new Verizon phone. I believe that it turned out to be a network settings issue. Call VZ tech support and I am sure they can straighten it out. But be aware that being able to access the Internet on your phone is not the same thing as using Verizon's Express Network that you need for a converted Treo. That takes a different account setting on the Verizon end and it is there where different people have had differing experiences with Verizon as to whether they can use there existing minutes.
  16.    #176  
    My only fear with converting the Treo was if I would be able to convert it back. As long as you write down all your original settings, you should be fine. Now that the firmware updates are available, you can simply re-install the 1.20 update and have your Sprint PRL back.
    Hey all...so I upgraded my firmware a week or so ago, and now I no longer receive voicemail notification, nor am I able to use the web. The phone is otherwise fully functional, although dialing *611 channels me to Sprint's help service. As such, I believe that re-unlocking my phone and setting up Verizon's settings should fix things...do you guys have any ideas or suggestions otherwise?
  18. dnt
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    upgrading the firmware will change the prl back to sprints. Basically you're using sprints towers now. just upload the verizon's prl again and do a *228 then 2 to update the prl.
    Hmm...that makes me consider NOT switching, as I have REALLY nice reception in my studio....prior to the update, I had two bars but the calls would be dropped at a ridiculous rate...dammit, now it's a tough call!
    I have read through all the postings in this thread & have a few questions. I am currently with Sprint & although their network has been good, their customer service has ticked me off one final time. So having said that, I would like to become a new VZW customer. My questions are:

1.) When I sign up for new service can I combine America's Choice & the 49.99 PDA/Smartphone Unlimited National Acess plan?
    2.) Will the above plan give me similar or better data rates compared to what I currently have with SPCS Vision?
    3.) The rep in the VZW store insisted that I must purchase and activate one of their ESN's upon sign up & stated that I would never be able to activate an ESN that didn't belong to them. Obviously this goes against what everyone else is saying, so I want to confirm that the VZW website doesn't reject my Treo ESN. Any thoughts on this? Must I buy a phone from them? If I do is there a specific one I should get?

If anyone lives in the greater Seattle area and knows a local store where I can obtain a serial cable or borrow theirs, I would greatly appreciate that. I am trying to move quickly on this since I travel for work constantly and don't have much time at home.

Thank you !
    Last edited by Cory Streater; 06/24/2004 at 08:05 PM.
Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast