Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1015161718192021222324 LastLast
    *sigh* Ever heard of word wrap??? your MSL is probably 200494.
    Hichhiker, thank you for your keen sense of figuring out the MSL. That was indeed my MSL, thanks again.
    Yeaaaaa, my phone is now active on Verizon. I talked with Verizon Tech Support and they said not to do the hack for data transmission. They said that there is no way to track it because it is a phone designed for Sprint and anyone who hacks it is basically getting data transmission for free????? Tech support told me that those who do this would be found out eventually and cut off. I am wondering what you guys think about these statements. I used to have the Kyocera 6035 and used the internet just at the cost of my minutes, it seems by what tech support is telling me, that is not the case anymore. Should I go ahead and do the data transmission sequence that is shown on this board. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. A special thanks goes out to Hichhiker and his patience towards my trying to get my 600 active on Verizon.
    Update: Inspired by GSM info on mytreo.net, I have figured out a way to install VZW firmware over BMO's. For those who care, these are the steps:

* Do the TokenWriter bit as described in an earlier post.

* Start Verizon 1.11 updater and procede untill just before first sync.

* Before the first sync, go into the install directory of your profile (Probably something like C:\Program Files\Handspring\<USER>\Install\, where <USER> is your Treo username or some bastardized version of it. In there you will find several files, including "Verizon 1.11 Updater.prc" - copy this file to another location.

* Do the sync. It will try to upgrade and fail.

* After the sync, install "Verizon 1.11 Updater.prc" again. This time just the PRC, updater installer app is still waiting on "NEXT" click for the first sync. Sync again.

* After the second sync, run the VZW 1.11 app. This will look like it is working, untill you once again get "The installed version is already current" (or something like this.) DO NOT HIT "OK" HERE. Instead do a pin-reset.

* Once reset, run an application called "D.C." On the palm. This will do the actuall update.

* Proceed with installation as directed by the Updater utility.

Now, I have no way to guarantee that this will work or even not blow up your Treo, but it seemed to work for me. So proceed with caution, you have been warned.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Another big THANKS to Hichhiker!!!!!

The answer to davetik re MSL pointed to mine (for other reason). Basically supplied the BitPim instructions that the broken link in original FAQ would have.

And the other THANKS: KWPST wouldn't work on T600 after overwriting SPR with VZW 1.11 firmware but YEA! the QPST 2.7 works.

So on to trying to kludge thru the instructions again!

You 'Da Man, Hich!
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    OK, VZW works. The ticket: after getting VZW 1.11 firmware loaded w/ TokenWriter tip from post #293, page 15 (Kudo's to chrisjhahn) ran into prob's w/ original FAQ instructions: once u've switched to VZW firmware ##XXXX codes don't work. Somewhere in the ancient archives found that SPR uses ## but VZW uses #*#. OK, BitPim 0.62 works. So try to figure which 6 digits is MSL... since the link in the orig. FAQ to BitPim instructions is broke it's a call for help. So davetik gets help from Hichhiker which clues that the 6 digits u'r looking for in the BitPim hexdump r not necessarily on 1 line and r in the midst of a string like xxxxxxx.XXXXXX.xxxxxxxx where the caps r the MSL. OK, on to KWPST which also don't work. Again Hich comes to the rescue with QPST 2.7 works. OK, reset MSL etc. per orig. FAQ. Here diverg from FAQ: trying to switch an existing VZW line to now Verizonized T600. Long story short: people at local VZW store very helpful, VZW tech support very helpful (mind the difference: TECH SUPPORT GOOD, CS BAD, u gotta con the transfer to TECH SUPPORT). So after getting QPST and setting MSL to 000000 call back from other existing VZW line (up to 4 and counting on *National Access Family Plan*). Finaly after mega minutes holding get thru CS to TS. Again a nice guy (Mike) and spell it out, *sort of*, it's a T600 with all the VZW stuff on it *who knows* where it came from (**company SPR phone, company dropped SPR service, had been a paperweight for 3 months**). So Mike was stumped by the ESN not being on their OK list and had to put me back on hold for ~3 min while he confered with more knowing assoc. BANG! FIXED! So there ya go...

notsonubnomo :-)

Kudo's & THANKS to Galen MD, chrisjahn, Hich, shadowmite, and the whole Treo community. U ROCK!
    I did a search and was unable to get this answered. When I follow the instructions by chrisjhahn in post #293 - after I install and run tokenwriter, I input the code list crnm but what do I do to enable the command. I have tried a multitude of buttons, but it just sits there and clicks at me and nothing new happens?????
    just found my own answer on a faq search that I did on google. It's the return key.
    I followed GalenMD's instructions for activating Express Network Data.
    The error message I get is "Error 3000: Data service is unavailable in this area. Please try again later. (0x713E).

I called Verizon, did not tell them that I had a Sprint converted phone, and they knew that I did. They told me that they can not support a sprint converted phone, so I need a little more help at figuring out what to do next.
    davetik, I got the same error message yesterday (Sunday). Everything was working fine for me, then all of a sudden, I couldn't connect. I got the same message you got. I also got the "PPP Timeout" message. I checked all my settings and it still doesn't work. I went to a Verizon Wireless store here in NYC and checked a Verizon branded T600, and it connected.

Does anyone have an idea what happened?

Update:
    I am connecting to qnc and Express network again. I don't know what happened, I just pressed the "connect" button, and I was up and running again.

davetik, try connecting again. You may be able to now.
    Last edited by How'dYouDoThat?; 06/06/2005 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Update
    Rats. Unfortunetly for me, mine isn't so easy. I tried again multiple times and still get the same error.
    davetik, did you try setting up QNC? The QNC settings may/may not knock out your Express Network connection (it hasn't on mine; both QNC and EN work), but since you're not getting EN anyway, give QNC a try. QNC is a slower connection, but it's a connection nonetheless.
    Quote Originally Posted by How'dYouDoThat?
    davetik, did you try setting up QNC? The QNC settings may/may not knock out your Express Network connection (it hasn't on mine; both QNC and EN work), but since you're not getting EN anyway, give QNC a try. QNC is a slower connection, but it's a connection nonetheless.
    Just to be clear, EN and QNC require additional "Data service" from Verizon (aka $45 unlimited/$25 limited, or something like it)?

-HH
    I thought that QNC was just airtime like it was when I had my 6035. Thanks for letting me know about the charges now. Really all I want to do is be able to email me some new ring tones. If I'm not mistaken, without another phone, or IR (which my computer does not have) I have to email them to the phone or download direct via QNC or EN. So, I will still try to get the connection going for a onsey twosy kind of connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by davetik
    I thought that QNC was just airtime like it was when I had my 6035. Thanks for letting me know about the charges now. Really all I want to do is be able to email me some new ring tones. If I'm not mistaken, without another phone, or IR (which my computer does not have) I have to email them to the phone or download direct via QNC or EN. So, I will still try to get the connection going for a onsey twosy kind of connection.
    erm, I was actually asking, not telling. I have not used Palm for data yet. However, just for kicks and grins, I configured my treo's internal modem to dial my local dialup ISP, and sure enough I can get (slow as hell, but working) connection. I could not get either EN or QNC to work - Get Data service not available in your area.

-HH
    You don't need the $45.00 data service plan or any data plan. Call Verizon CS and make sure you have National Access, Express Network or whatever they're calling it these days, on your account and activated on your phone. The "1x" should be on your dialpad screen. I don't believe they charge separate for data; my bill has remained the same since before I got the Treo. I have read other stories saying they've been charged, but I haven't. Maybe I haven't been found out ... yet.
    Last edited by How'dYouDoThat?; 06/08/2005 at 08:54 AM. Reason: update
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I used the "method 2" (method 1 didn't work) from original FAQ:

Step 3: Activating Express Network Data
    Note: There are 2 separate methods of doing this. Find which one works for you.
    1. Go into Network Preferences --> menu key --> Options --> View Log
    2. Type in: "pdpset 1" and hit the enter key...then hit done
    3. Use your new MSL code if asked.
    Method 2: 4. Create a new service connection...
    5. Hit menu, select New, and fill in:
    Service: Express Network
    Connection: High Speed Wireless
    User Name: your10digitphonenum@vzw3g.com
    Password: vzw
    6. Click on Details, click off Mobile IP, then OK
    7. Click on Connect and watch your tower icon change to data mode

Web browsing & SnapperMail w/Gmail work with only one glitch so far: trying to download an e-mail with a 768k jpeg attachment fails to complete.

Instructions for Gmail with Snapper (and tons of others) here:

http://www.snappermail.com/support/isp.cfm#82

I've only browsed web for a few minutes and sent a test email, waiting to see how it may show up in my bill, so far nothing but minutes show on verizon web statement. I don't have any data plan set up, just regular national access family plan.
    Well, talked to CS, there are 3 plans:

* $45 Unlimited access
    * $25 for 10MB per month(somewhere on VZW site I also saw it as $29)
    * $0.015 per KB (i.e. $15 per MB)

I am guessing most of you are on the third "pay as you go" plan (which is same as what I signed up for, at least for now)

As soon as I signed up and did *228 to update PRL, my PPP error on EN (method 2 setup) went away and it now works great.

Come to think of it, I forgot to ask CS another question -- does anyone know if EN also uses calling plan minutes (like regular dialup does)?

UPDATE: After another call to CS, they said that as long as data arrows are green, you are being charged minutes but not when they are gray :-/ Seems wrong to me to be charged both minutes and bandwidth, but would not surprise me with VZW.

-HH
    Last edited by Hichhiker; 06/09/2005 at 10:09 AM.
    I'd better look at my bill next month ... so far, I haven't been billed for data, but the data outage I had at the start of the week may have been a Verizon audit of my account. I could make and receive calls; it was my data that was down. I bet I'm now on the "pay as you go" data plan.

Hichhiker, thanks for calling CS and getting that info.
    Forgive any missing letters, my keybord is dying.

When I run the KPSTprogram, and select QCT-6200, the Read From Phone option is greyed out. verything else has worked so far, I flashed with the VZW firmware and got my MSL and ESNs, but I can't do this step. I hae the seial cable.. anyone know hat's wrong

Thank!

J