Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM
    I know this sounds dumb, but did you try both ESN formats? I vaguely remember trying both when I converted my phone, and the only reason I can think of is that one didn't work right.
    Yeah, I've tried both the 8 digit hex esn and the 11 digit hsn. Verizon doesn't like me it turns out.

Thanks for everyone's help though.
    According to a thread posted on howardforums.com, Verizon has changed their on-line ESN activation system to not allow non-Verizon phones to be activated.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=428013
  3.    #243  
    Anybody think there's a chance our already activated phones could get deactivated?

Last edited by GalenMD; 08/06/2004 at 11:26 PM.
    Hey fellas, I've got a Verizon Treo 600 we are trying to activate on ALLTEL for a customer. I've been trying to get into the phone via Kyocera PST but it says the phone model is not supported. It is PST Version 3.2

Any suggestions?
    hello Mark1nixon,
    Can you please explain how to fix the Blazer issue? I am able to clear the NGG and port settings, however I do not see "save and browse"? Once I select either "OK" or cancel, the port settings reverto to "0"??

I verizoned my treo back in Feb and all worked smoooothly until last week. Now Web will not work connect. the Treo attempts to sign on but then I get time out errror "Error PPP time-out 0x1231"
    Please explain how to "Save and Browse" in browser application
    Thank you
  7. jkk
    I made the mistake of changing my ESN on the Verizon web page last night before reading the most recent posts in this forum. After reading this, I went and tried to re-register my ESN and it failed on www.verizonwireless.com.

I called a friend of mine who works at Verizon and he was able to put my ESN back in. Apparently they are building a database of valid ESNs to prevent people from moving around. If customer service doesn't know the type of phone that you have based on the ESN, they register it as "other". He said that he didn't want to register it as a Treo, as if he did he wasn't sure if Verizon would come calling. He said he did know that Verizon had made changes to their web pages to not allow you to register unknown ESNs, but apparently he still had the capability to do so.

So, it is possible to get customer service to register your ESN with their system - you just have to sweet talk them into doing so. They don't have maps of ESNs to phones, so you might be able to tell them that it's an old phone or something.

-jkk
    Quote Originally Posted by TomasPistola
    Hey fellas, I've got a Verizon Treo 600 we are trying to activate on ALLTEL for a customer. I've been trying to get into the phone via Kyocera PST but it says the phone model is not supported. It is PST Version 3.2

Any suggestions?
    Try the next earlier version. Worked for me when the newer version didn't.
    Suprisingly I used a Later version that worked fine. Thanks for the help though
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM
    Try the next earlier version. Worked for me when the newer version didn't.
    Ditto, had to do the same
    I know there is no hard evidence yet because, as far as I know, no one who has a verizonified Sprint phone has switched to Verizon firmware and reported results. Still, it is beginning to look from the complaints about the Verizon software that we early converters may be enjoying better service and software options than Verizon is now providing (email client, EN-MOU set up, etc.). The klinker in my mind is still reception. Has anyone got both a Verizon and Verizonified Treo to compare? Would you share your findings? Are the RSSI results the same in the same location? Are there more or fewer dropped calls? Thanks.
  12. jkk
    I have had both a Verizonified phone and a Verizon phone thanks to my employer. I can validate, hands-down, that the reception is 100 times better with the Verizon phone. I have yet to drop a single call (granted, this has only been a couple of days of trying).

When I first set up my Verizonified phone I had great reception...and then shortly before VZW released their own Treo my reception went dramatically (and quickly) down the tubes. I updated my PRL repeatedly (sometimes several times a day). Even while updating my PRL my phone would sometimes disconnect with no real reason why.

My problem wasn't reception but instead it was dropped calls - and almost always my Treo would report that the network dropped the call. I entered debug mode with both phones and there were times where the Verizonified phone actually had a lower RSSI value (and hence better reception) than the VZW phone did when they were sitting next to one another - and yet the Verizonified phone would still drop calls!

I also know that VZW is highly discouraging people to register non-VZW phones. I know someone in VZW who has told me that they are building a database of valid VZW ESN numbers and all other numbers have to be entered by hand by a customer service rep (which is probably why their web page is now no longer allowing you to register non-VZW ESNs on it). I believe their goal is to only allow VZW phones on their network. I even updated my phone to the latest ROM thinking that it was buggy software.

My own personal theory is that VZW is scanning their network, finding phones with ESNs that are foreign or unknown, and bumping their calls. I don't know for sure that this is the case...it's just merely a theory based on my own personal experiences and what I've read. My guess is that VZW wants only VZW phones on their network so they don't have support issues (and also they get the additional revenue by having people buy phones - hence the reason they also offer the new every 2 plan).

Just my $0.02.

-jkk
    I successfully activated a TREO 600 from Sprint to Verizon on Sep 5, 2004. Couldn't do it online, but no problem with the service rep by phone.
    Very glad to hear that Ken. Just won a TREO 600 off the ol eBay and after I "Verizonfy" it, sure would hate to not be able to get it on the system.
  15.    #255  
    I see that palmOne doesn't offer a serial cable for the 650. Since the conversion process for the 600 was dependent upon this, I wonder if not having one would make programming the phone impossible.
    That was my guess as well...maybe get a USB to Serial adapter might work? I would think carrier still use serial cables to update software to their PCs but everything is USB now.
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    I see that palmOne doesn't offer a serial cable for the 650. Since the conversion process for the 600 was dependent upon this, I wonder if not having one would make programming the phone impossible.
    There is no such thing as IMPOSSIBLE for this group. Just might take longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    Are we also sure it needs a different cable?

http://www.amco-cellular.com/02-0403-00.html

Claims to be able to use the same cable.
    I hope so..

Do you think we will need to start a new thread for the 650?
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenzytom
    I hope so..

Do you think we will need to start a new thread for the 650?

yes, we need a new thread for the 650!