Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
  1.    #181  
    1.) I have only signed up for America's Choice. I arranged for data to be extracted from minutes, but did this well over a year ago (with my 7135). I'm not sure how to do it now, but heard that there is a 4.99 fee or something.
    2.) Sprint's data rate is usually better than Vz's. I had to be on Vz for contract reasons, and because their reception is far better for me. How bad do you need "customer service"? I haven't called Vz for help/issues in a year.
    3.) I guess you could go for their cheapest phone (usually free with a contract) then just register your Treo's ESN on their website. I have yet to hear of anyone having a problem registering their ESN.
    Thanks for your clarification. I will sign up for America's Choice and get a phone. I will probably still get express net since I need every voice minute I can get & want the higher data speeds, unless I am misreading the way it works.

As far as customer service goes you are correct. But when you need it from Sprint, it can be a daunting experience and a true test of patience. I have been with them for 5 years and while some experiences have been tolerable, most have not. I think the only people that no anything are the handful that post to this and a few other forums out there.
    wow good work
    DealScanner - <- best deal site on the web
    DealScanner
    First off I'd like to thank EVERYONE who worked on and posted in this thread. This thread was the sole reason I decided to buy a Treo and Verizonize it, and now that I sucessfully have, due to the incredible work of the people here, I'm happy I did it.

As far as my experience went, it all went very smoothly. I pulled the Treo out of the box, downloaded the Palm Desktop Hotsync software, connected with USB cable, ran a synchronization, downloaded the update, ran the update setup program, hotsynced again (thus installing the update), update installed fine, then went through all the steps in the manual/first post, and now everything works flawlessly.

My concern is this elusive ExpressNetwork. I currently have the National Access plan for 1500 minutes with three phones. My phone as the little $6 or so a month added on to access "the internet." I used to have an Audiovox Thera (an absolute piece of crap, NEVER BUY ONE), and when I called tech support to inquire whether I should select the (56k) ExpressNetwork option or the slower (14.4k) Quick2Net option, I was told that, with the National Access plan I can use the ExpressNetwork as my minutes! Sweet.

So all this time now, I've been connecting to the 1x ExpressNetwork and it's been using my minutes, no extra charges. Now I'm trying the ExpressNetwork on my Treo, and I'm getting varied burst speeds: 100k test (test.dslreports.com/mspeed) is ~40kbps, but 200k is ~12kbps. I've read here suspicions about caps, so I call to see if anything's up. First I talk to a tech support lady who pretty much knows nothing (really nice though), then she connect me to someone whose sole focus is mobile web (ExpressNetwork & Quick2Net). After he rants at me for a bit for using a Treo and how he can't do anything for me, I explain that I'm just curious if there's anything wrong on their end. He then explains to me that I am probably connecting to Quick2Net, which would explain my low speeds. THEN, and here's the kicker, he explains that under no circumstances is the ExpressNetwork usable by minutes; it is purely a per megabyte/unlimited plan. I wonder if maybe I am connected to Quick2Net, so I ask if you can have high burst speeds, but he responds that the 14.4 cap on Quick2Net is completely fixed, and you cannot get burst speeds. I say I just got 42kbps, I must be on ExpressNetwork. All he has to say to that is that I am probably being charged by the megabyte (25 cents per)... which I clearly am not (I would have noticed it on my bill quite a while ago).

Anyway, so just wanted to throw this conflicting information out there, in has anyone has any ideas or knows how it all really works. One question though: Since ExpressNetwork is taking up my minutes, I don't want to be constantly connected. Is there a way to get the ExpressNetwork network connection to disconnect after a pre-set time, like 5 minutes?

Thanks everyone!
    -Cep

Edit:: What exactly does it mean when the data icon for the Tower icon is grey, green, or not there at all? If it is grey, am I connected and using minutes? Or does it only connect when it's green and downloading. I ask because I was able to make a phone call to my house and talk WHILE the icon was there but grey. Just wondering if anyone knew which meant which.
    Last edited by Ceptor; 06/25/2004 at 06:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceptor
    What exactly does it mean when the data icon for the Tower icon is grey, green, or not there at all? If it is grey, am I connected and using minutes? Or does it only connect when it's green and downloading. I ask because I was able to make a phone call to my house and talk WHILE the icon was there but grey. Just wondering if anyone knew which meant which.
    The Treo is transferring data when the arrows are green only. When they are grey the connection is idle and no data transfer occurs.
    hi guys im gona do it tmrw i am gona buy the treo and attempt to switch it to VZW...i live in new york and any help would be apreciated and i was wondering do you need the serial cable or can i use the USB? and i would like help getting the MSL if posible
  7.    #187  
    Quote Originally Posted by rockon4ever777
    hi guys im gona do it tmrw i am gona buy the treo and attempt to switch it to VZW...i live in new york and any help would be apreciated and i was wondering do you need the serial cable or can i use the USB? and i would like help getting the MSL if posible
    You absolutely MUST use a serial cable. Anyone who has attempted this with a USB cable has failed.

Quote Originally Posted by ceptor
    Since ExpressNetwork is taking up my minutes, I don't want to be constantly connected. Is there a way to get the ExpressNetwork network connection to disconnect after a pre-set time, like 5 minutes?
    If you used the "Virtual Modem" connection method, and choose "Details..." from the main network screen, there is an "Idle timeout:" selection. I often change it to Never on weekends, and 2 minutes on weekdays.

By the way, I don't think that guy knew what he was talking about regarding the billing issue. He probably just knows about the data portion of Vz. I have been using data from minutes for 20 months now without a single data minute or MB appearing on my bill.

Interesting though, I think you were the first person to let Vz know what we have been doing. How big of a stink did he make about it?
    ok do u think they sell the serial cable at best buy? and do you have a aim name beacuse i would prefer if some one helped to walk me through this but otherwise thanks im gona do this tmrw so i hope its easy when using bitpim to get the MSL what do i put under phone type
    Last edited by rockon4ever777; 06/25/2004 at 09:39 PM.
  9.    #189  
    The FAQ should allow you to do this easily on your own. If you have any problems, post them here. There are many people eager to help.

I don't think BestBuy or anywhere else has the serial cable readily available. I heard that you can buy them on eBay for really cheap (I wish I did that...).
    crap i needto do this tmrw casue im goin away for a while are u sureeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee itwont wor with the usb? otherwise SOMEONE IN NEW YORK I NEED YOU TO COME TO THE RESCUE HERE (how bout a sprint store?)
    If you are in New York City, JandR near City Hall has serial cables for about $30 and they have a good return policy.
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    If you used the "Virtual Modem" connection method, and choose "Details..." from the main network screen, there is an "Idle timeout:" selection. I often change it to Never on weekends, and 2 minutes on weekdays.
    I found the "Virtual Modem" setting, but what Phone# do I put in? Will the connection act any differently?
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    By the way, I don't think that guy knew what he was talking about regarding the billing issue. He probably just knows about the data portion of Vz. I have been using data from minutes for 20 months now without a single data minute or MB appearing on my bill.

Interesting though, I think you were the first person to let Vz know what we have been doing. How big of a stink did he make about it?
    Agreed that the guy didn't know jack. It was funny though, the first lady I talked to was all excited and fascinated that I got a Sprint Treo to work with Verizon, but when I got on the phone with the second guy the first thing he spouted off was "We can't offer you tech support with this phone we can't support you in any way whatsoever yada yada yada." No biggie though, didn't reprimand me, just said he's not gonna really try and help.

ALSO, I have two Treo 600 serial cables for sale, ready to be shipped out immediately. I can send them for $15 each (what I paid for them; includes shipping and whatnot). PM me if interested. (Paypal preferred.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenzytom
    If you are in New York City, JandR near City Hall has serial cables for about $30 and they have a good return policy.
    thank you nething in westchester its easyer for me to get to and another question
    when i have to activate the treo i have no way of loging on to my account on verizonwireless.com can i do it over the phone?
    I am using the latest BitPIM and have viewed the hex dump of all nvm files. However, I don't recognize any patterns that seem to work when I am asked for the MSL at the "Enter Service Programming" dialog box. I followed the link listed in GalenMD's instruction and have not found it too helpful.

----Wait I have an update ---
    Now I think I have the MSL since I can access the "activation menu" on the phone by ##MSL. But I can't read/write from the Kyocera PST 3.2.7 since it will not accept this same MSL for the "Service Programming Code". What am I missing!
    Last edited by hagie; 06/28/2004 at 01:04 AM.
    guys im introuble i got my treo but i need a serial cable ASAP i live in new york and if you willing i will pay u to do this for me this has to be done today or tmrw
    i still cant find the serial cable i have tried everyware i guess im gona have to return it
    You could have ordered in online with next delivery from Treo Central. I ordered mine on Friday with delivery for Monday. I guess you need it before Tuesday.
    I just finished the conversion process & everything went very smoothly. It took about 20 minutes to complete. I can confirm 2 things: Verizons Express Net connection is as fast if not faster than SPCS Visons service. I am a 5 year customer of SPCS so I'm pretty familiar with their network. Secondly I agree with ihparkers assesment that the Treo's signal strength is not as good as the VX6000. I have been using the VX6000 in a building where the signal strength is not that great and it does pretty well. The Treo can get a signal but looses it easily. I am on PRL 500174 and its in dual mode. Thanks to everyone that contributed, I very much appreciate it.
    anybody in ny will u sell me your treo on vzw or meet me someware and show me how to convert it i will be retuning in about 2weeks and will be changing it than. tho the actual VZW version may be out by then i am picky and dont like the color of the GSm phone thanks
    First, thanks to Galen and all the other discoverers/contributors for this great thread. My Treo is now working perfectly on Verizon, using the 1.20 firmware.

One quick question: I've been able to get Express Network working using both the High Speed Wireless and Virtual Modem methods. (Note to those who had trouble with Virtual Modem, it only began working for me once I had successfully connected using High Speed Wireless). I'd rather use HSW, because it connects much faster and seems to also have a somewhat higher throughput. But, as others have pointed out, there's no way to control the timeout using HSW, and it seems to be at least 5 minutes. So, I'm wondering, am I being charged minutes for data usage only when data is actually being transferred (arrows green) or also when the data connection is up but idle (arrows grey)?

Also, for those asking about PRLs, after updating with *228, mine is 50174. I'm on the East Coast.