Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Sorry, I just couldn't help myself in regard to the earlier post. Thanks for the info.
    My rep says that it is coming soon, but not likely to be this month.
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    it's been "coming soon" since January!

go do what many of us have done and convert a Sprint Treo onto the Verizon network if you really want it now.
    yOyOYoo,
    I read the thread and saw how you converted your Treo 600 to Verizon.

Two questions as I am thinking about which service to use:

1. Why didn't you use Sprint PCS since it is less expensive for unlimited use

2. If I get "hung up" in the process of switching over (I am getting a 600 for Sprint next week that I bought on EBAY) can I easily get it back to Sprint, or will I be kindof in the twilight zone, stuck with no service sprint OR verizon?

3. It took you I believe 3 hours to change yours over or something like that.. is that what the rest of us can expect or has the process become easier thanks to some of the headaches you guys already have gone through?

thanks in advance

Todd
    1. sprint service sucks compared to verizon so it really comes down to whether you want awesome service or cheap service.
    2. you could get screwed if you bought it on ebay and something went wrong.
    3. it really shouldn't take more than 15 minutes but you never know what will happen. I had to fiddle with my internet for a day to finally get it working and it's not setup the same as what the faq works because it wouldn't work that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by yOyOYoo
    it's been "coming soon" since January!
    In the presentation given today by the CEO of PalmOne in which 7 or so different carriers were mentioned, the CEO did not mention Verizon at all.
    when you say sprint service sucks, can you define it? If you pay $5/mo. more don't you automatically roam over to verizon when in poor coverage area for no additional charge or are you referring to something else? From what you all have indicated the Sprint service on the Treo in terms of speed is very good, so it would be great if you could tell me what you are referring to? Customer service, speed, coverage, thanks much!

Todd
    well I used to have sprint and unless they have drastically improved recently I will never use them again. I guess the fact that you can roam onto verizon has changed and taht is great. Verizon has more users and you can all verizon users for free. Also Verizon has better coverage but I guess if you paid extra for roaming than that wouldnt' be an issue. Also there customer service is worthelss although I haven't been to happy with verizon although they are alot easier to get a hold of a real person than sprint.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I was told by my local Sprint rep that when you roam on Verizon or whomever, the data services do not work although the phone will work.

Sprint customer service has gotten better. They went through this automated phase but now they are back to real people to a certain extent.
    hmmm, I'm really getting tired of different reps saying different things. In the GSM world.. cingular reps have told me completley different things about the price for data service, now with Sprint, one rep. told me data is included in roaming, but your rep, probably better, says that isn't true. That stinks. I may have to join the other thread after maybe "trying" sprint as to how to change it over to Verizon. thanks everyone
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gross
    yOyOYoo,
    I read the thread and saw how you converted your Treo 600 to Verizon.

Two questions as I am thinking about which service to use:

1. Why didn't you use Sprint PCS since it is less expensive for unlimited use

2. If I get "hung up" in the process of switching over (I am getting a 600 for Sprint next week that I bought on EBAY) can I easily get it back to Sprint, or will I be kindof in the twilight zone, stuck with no service sprint OR verizon?

3. It took you I believe 3 hours to change yours over or something like that.. is that what the rest of us can expect or has the process become easier thanks to some of the headaches you guys already have gone through?

thanks in advance

Todd
    Hey Todd
    1. I didn't use Sprint because around my Southern California area, Sprint service is really poor. I have one friend that uses Sprint for their cool phones and cheap plans. Everytime I call him, I get his voicemail. Also, the only service in my house that gets reception is Verizon, so that's a main deciding factor. With Verizon I just use the express network deducted from my minutes for data calls. When it's after 9pms or weekends, I just use the Treo to browse the web for free. Verizon calls are crystal clear and I get service pretty much anywhere.

2. From what I heard, it's no problem switching back to sprint. All you have to do is make sure you record down your MSL code before you change it and you can change it back easily.

3. I took three hours because I felt like some of the FAQ data was a little vague in some parts (im completely computer illiterate) and it took me a while to figure out. ALso in the end, my desktop computer didn't have a working COM port for my serial cable to use when changing Sprint MSL and software. I ended up borrowing a laptop and after I figured everything out, it didn't take too long.

im going to hang on to this Treo 600 for a while. I really like it a lot but coming from a hi-res SONY CLIE, I simply hate the lo-res screen on the Treo. The day a new hi-res screen Treo comes out, i'll sell my treo 600 and get that! Goodluck Todd and if you need help let me know!
    I have the F&CA plan with Sprint, so I can answer some questions about it from someone who has used it for a while.

1) Despite what CSRs may tell you, neither data nor SMS works when you are roaming. Period. Roaming is voice-only. SMS will be "held" and delivered to you once you are back in a Sprint area.

2) If the phone picks up ANY Sprint signal at all, EVEN if the signal is too weak to make an outgoing call, it won't roam. Time to head to the basement to make your calls if you're in a poor Sprint area.

3) You can't use more than 50% of your minutes in a month on Verizon, so if you live in an area that doesn't get Sprint at all, F&CA isn't the right choice for you.

4) You can still hold down 1 to get to voicemail on your Treo when you're roaming.

That should hopefully cover most of the questions you have (and I used to have) about F&CA from someone who uses it.
    Hey yo, glad everything is working out for you. Since I am a recent Treo 600 Verizon converter as well, it been nothing but good things. Verizon coverage is pretty nice here in NYC compared to Sprint where I can't get good coverage in buildings (at work and at home). I actually have 3-4 bars with Verizon on my Treo and Sprint (always at 2). Another great thing about getting the conversion on Verizon is that you don't have to "roam" anywhere because you already have Verizon coverage everywhere. Since I have the basic $40 for 400 minutes and unlimited nights and weekends, checking for email, surfing the web is not that expensive. I went from a Kyocera 7135 (Treo is far superior in many ways) to a Tungsten C (love that screen) but I find the treo 600 to be a perfect conversion of everything I need in a PDA/phone.

With the help here on Treocentral, I took a little over 1 and a half hours to convert with a little trial and error. Good luck to those who try but even more luck to those who wait for Verizon's version of the Treo.
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    my prediction is that by the time verizon finally offers the Treo 600, a new version of the treo will be out and in the hands of GSM and Sprint users.

And yes Verizon is only going to carry the Treo 600, I have some sources testing it right now who can confirm that it is the low resolution screen, same as all the other T600s.
    Well..it looks like based on the article below that 3RD QUARTER is the likely delivery date for the Verizon version of the Treo 600. I discovered this site over the weekend while researching whether or not I should switch to Sprint just to get this phone. I got all giddy when I read this thread now I'm disappointed and confused about whether or not I should wait for Verizon or just go with Sprint. DAMN!!!

Financial Post Investing

Analyst cuts target on Sierra: TD Newcrest's Lee says risks outweigh upside potential

Stuart Weinberg
    Dow Jones
    608 words
    14 May 2004
    National Post
    National
    IN3
    English
    (c) 2004 National Post . All Rights Reserved.

TORONTO - Sierra Wireless Inc. shares are down 41% since it released its first-quarter financial results on April 19, but it's still a risky bet, according to one analyst.

In a research note yesterday, TD Newcrest analyst Andrew Lee listed the positive catalysts and the potential risks ahead for Sierra and found that the bad outweighs the good.

"We believe the risks to our outlook outweigh the positive catalysts," Mr. Lee wrote, noting that, even with the recent share-price decline, Sierra doesn't trade at a relative discount to wireless peers such as Novatel Wireless Inc., Option NV, Research In Motion Ltd. and PalmOne Inc.

Mr. Lee cut his target on the stock to $28.50 from $37 and maintained his hold rating. He doesn't own Sierra shares and TD Newcrest doesn't have an investment-banking relationship with the company.

On the catalyst side, Verizon Wireless is expected to offer a CDMA version of PalmOne's Treo 600 smartphone, Mr. Lee wrote. The product could be available by the third quarter of 2004, he wrote. Sierra, a Vancouver-based wireless modem maker, makes the embedded modems for the CDMA version of the Treo 600.

Verizon is also expanding its high-speed EV-DO network, another potential catalyst for Sierra, Mr. Lee wrote. Sierra is the sole supplier of PC card modems for this network, a fact that should accelerate revenues, he wrote. However, Sierra won't have the field to itself for long, as Novatel will launch a competing EV-DO offering in the second half of 2004, he wrote.

On the risk side, industry observers have suggested PalmOne will switch modem makers when it introduces its next-generation Treo devices, Mr. Lee wrote. "We believe it is reasonable to assume that PalmOne is requesting proposals from multiple wireless module vendors, but are unaware of any final decisions at this time," he wrote.

PalmOne declined to comment on its product plans when contacted by Dow Jones in late April.

Another risk exists in Europe, where Sierra has yet to introduce any PC card products for next-generation UMTS (universal mobile telecommunications system) networks. While Sierra's UMTS PC cards are expected to be commercially available in the first half of 2005, Novatel and Option have already launched UMTS products, effectively shrinking Sierra's European and Asia Pacific market opportunity, Mr. Lee wrote.

In support of this argument, Mr. Lee noted that Novatel has received $50-million in orders for UMTS PC cards since it began shipping in the fourth quarter of 2003. "We believe Novatel has a leading UMTS PC card market share, having shipped PC Cards to five Tier 1 operators in seven different countries in Europe and Asia Pacific in the first quarter of 2004," Mr. Lee wrote.

In addition, Option has shipped its UMTS PC cards to carriers, including Vodafone Group PLC, in seven different European countries, Mr. Lee wrote.

Finally, Mr. Lee questioned the "competitive advantage or uniqueness" of Sierra's Voq smartphone. The product is based on the Microsoft Windows Mobile operating system, as are smartphones from much larger companies, such as Motorola Inc. and Samsung Corp., Mr. Lee wrote.

The Voq contains an embedded modem made by Siemens AG, which is available to competing smartphone manufacturers at a low and commoditized price, Lee wrote. "We believe Sierra could not develop a GPRS module at a comparable cost," he wrote.

On Nasdaq yesterday, Sierra shares were up US35 cents to US$25.44 on volume of 578,000.
    "On the catalyst side, Verizon Wireless is expected to offer a CDMA version of PalmOne's Treo 600 smartphone, Mr. Lee wrote. The product could be available by the third quarter of 2004, he wrote."

This would indicate that it will be out sometime during Q2. Maybe the end of Q2 but Q2 nevertheless.
    Quote Originally Posted by bosox
    "On the catalyst side, Verizon Wireless is expected to offer a CDMA version of PalmOne's Treo 600 smartphone, Mr. Lee wrote. The product could be available by the third quarter of 2004, he wrote."

This would indicate that it will be out sometime during Q2. Maybe the end of Q2 but Q2 nevertheless.
    Given most telecom/tech companies history with timelines, I took a more cynical view of this information and thought 3rd quarter since the product "could" be available by Q3.

I think I'll wait until late June and reevaluate then.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12