Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Called sprint and had them flag my phone for the latest PRL update. Used to have 10021

Now my PRL Rev. is 10023. To check what yours is go to PHONE - MENU - OPTIONS. There you can see what yours is.

Enjoy!!
    I have 10020. How do I go about updating that?
    Thanks! Tom
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Call up sprint by using the *2. Hit one (1) for english and when Claire speaks say "technical issues" when you get to the next verbal command say "placing calls".

When the customer service rep comes online let them know you would like your phone flagged for the latest PRL update. He or she will do this and have you hang up when its complete.

When you hang up call back the *2 and hit one (1). This time Claire will come out and say your phone has been set to accept an update. This should take 1 or so minutes. Once complete hang up and reset your Treo.

When you get back online go to PHONE - MENU - OPTIONS.

You should read PRL REV. 10023

Enjoy!

Miguel
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I have a USAA discount which give me a 5% discount off service. I was just told by the rep at Sprint that the code for the discount conflicts somehow with the code for the OTA update so I can't have my account flagged. I must go to the Sprint store to have the phone updated. Darnit!

Jason
    There's gotta be a way without having to talk to a customer service rep in person. Isn't Claire just smart enough to recognize your voice request for a PRL update? I'd rather not deal with a live rep if I don't have to.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Now, the real question, what's the new update gonna give me?

Joe
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Im not sure what its gonna give you but I know its good to keep this up to date. PRL (Preferred Roaming List) basically keeps your phone aware of new towers available in your area. Should improve reception and avoid drop calls.
    I too got the 10023 update. I think it is fixing my Network search problem that I've been having.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t43942/s.html

It's only been a few hours, but I think this might have solved it. I did get a few dropped calls tonight, but I think those were normal. I'll know tomorrow when I'm on the phone more often and driving.
    Originally posted by wcarlson40
    There's gotta be a way without having to talk to a customer service rep in person. Isn't Claire just smart enough to recognize your voice request for a PRL update? I'd rather not deal with a live rep if I don't have to.
    I JUST dialed in, hit the "1" and claire came on and updated me automatically - took about 30-40 seconds.

no talking to a rep, no waiting on hold!

Sprint ROCKS! ...sometimes
    Should we update right away? what's the point of the PRL update? Does it depend on your area?

Update: disregard Post. I found this explanation if any of you are interested.

http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/sho...8911#post48911

I guess if you don't roam and don't like getting charged extra for your calls, it's not really that important to update the PRL.
    Last edited by eddietreo; 02/09/2004 at 11:00 PM.
    I got this update and sms started working!! thanks dude!!
    PRL updates - generally speaking - are only useful if you're actually allowing your phone to roam on other networks. If you're set to "sprint" all the time, it should have no effect.
    How do you know if you're allowing roaming or not? Thanks!
    The option for digital roaming is in the Phone app > Phone Preferences.

PRL's can also be used to define "extended" calling areas - if Sprint was to have an agreement with another carrier that allows Sprint to use the other carrier's network as their own instead of a roaming network, so it could also extend the reach of the Sprint network at the same time. The likelyhood of Sprint doing this is slim to none anymore, but I have a great example of when this was done a couple years ago.

Also, for a service like Verizon that acquired parts of their network from smaller local carriers, there are areas of the country that there are likely overlaps in service coverage, and the PRL defines what networks should take precedence over others when multiple ones are received.

- Mike