1.    #1  
    Hi All,
    I've made up my mind to get a treo 600, but I'm confused as to which provider to go with.
    I live in Long Island and travel mostly to Massacusettes, Los Angeles, and Florida; never out of the country.
    I have regular Sprint PCS service now and haven't been real impressed with the coverage, although that might just be as good as it gets.
    Any advice?
    Stick with Sprint but avoid customer service. It's HORRIBLE . Sprint still has the best plans out there and great coverage, PLUS SMS IS UP AND RUNNING IN MOST CITIES NOW! .
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    I just got a Treo 600 with Sprint and am very happy with it, except for one huge problem. I can't get a decent signal at work. It goes from one bar with Sprint to 4 bars with Verizon. I checked the tower map and it looks like my office is right in the middle of 4 towers, apparently not getting anything from any of them. Its really too bad too, it works great everywhere else I go, especially in places where my AT&T GSM MPx200 doesn't. Oh well, I'm sending it back next week.

Joe

P.S. The moral of the story? Make sure to use those money back guarantee periods to test the phone as much as possible.
    Originally posted by quake97
    I just got a Treo 600 with Sprint and am very happy with it, except for one huge problem. I can't get a decent signal at work. It goes from one bar with Sprint to 4 bars with Verizon. I checked the tower map and it looks like my office is right in the middle of 4 towers, apparently not getting anything from any of them. Its really too bad too, it works great everywhere else I go, especially in places where my AT&T GSM MPx200 doesn't. Oh well, I'm sending it back next week.

Joe

P.S. The moral of the story? Make sure to use those money back guarantee periods to test the phone as much as possible.
    Quake, are there a lot of Sprint users in your workplace. I had crappy Sprint coverage in my house, but excellent everywhere else (same as you, inbetween several towers). I installed a 1900mHz PCS repeater in my house. Antenna on the roof, repeater in the house with a small antenna (very well hidden). Problem solved. Perhaps you or some of your coworkers could talk to your employers about installing a repeater.
    Carl
    Keep in mind that lots of cellular signals are affected when you're inside a building. The windows at my work are UV treated, so the Sprint signal there isn't as good as, say, Verizon, who has towers that are a bit closer. If I step outside, however, my Sprint signal is back to 4 bars.

Sprint is a flat network, though, so the quality of the call on one bar should be the same as the quality on 4 bars. This is not necessarily true with Verizon or the GSM carriers.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Sprint is a flat network, though, so the quality of the call on one bar should be the same as the quality on 4 bars. This is not necessarily true with Verizon or the GSM carriers.
    Can you explain this a bit further? I'm not sure exactly what you mean by a "flat" network.
    More to the point, wouldn't this be true of any digital technology? (call quality remaining fairly constant as signal strength gets weaker until the call just drops)
    Basically that is the idea - digital signals wont "degrade" - you'll just lose the signal.

With Sprint, though, the network was built from the ground up (unlike Verizon, who buys out other small carriers and adds their cells to the network). This means, effectively, that whenever you're on the Sprint network, you're more or less guaranteed to get the same quality signal wherever you go. Maybe 4 bars, maybe 2, but the quality should remain constant. This is in contrast to Verizon, in that Verizon can't necessarily vouch for the quality of its affiliate carriers or the integrity of their network.

I have my Treo set to "Sprint only" and have never had quality issues around Seattle. I have dropped maybe 2 calls in the three months I've been using the service. Even on one to two bars in my house, I've never had "quality of call" issues.
    IMHO - It's all about your data usage. Sprint's a flat $15 all-you-can-eat data. Other carriers start at $50 & go up from there.
    Originally posted by CarlGalgano
    I installed a 1900mHz PCS repeater in my house.
    Carl -

I didn't know such a thing existed. I live in the sticks & this would be interesting. Where did you find such an animal?

tdh