1.    #1  
    I noticed that after the 1.1 update that TrafficStat now has a choice between the two. What is Sprint Provisioning? Is that for the SMS?
    Provisioning refers the initial network configuration of you Treo to Sprint's network. It' a good a idea not to mess with it!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  3. mtk
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    both refer to a network configuration. i'd say his question remains unanswered.

this is one of the things that bothers me about the update. i'd like to see a technical description of what the upgrade is doing before i do it. yeah, i realize that mom & pop in peoria would be mystified by the details. but i'm guessing that at this stage of the game, treocentral is populated with a huge number of techno professionals who could digest it and perhaps even explain it to mom & pop.
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Provisioning refers the initial network configuration of you Treo to Sprint's network. It' a good a idea not to mess with it!
    Is there a way to "tell" it that its been done? I am putting a fresh unit never touched by Sprint on VZW, and I think it isn't because it keeps thinking its needing provisioning.
    I thought that the "Sprint Provisioning" was provisioning (setting up/Handshaking/letting the carrier provide info for you) with the carrier Sprint, to talk to their network per se.

PCS Vision is the data connection that uses Sprint as your ISP.

Vision has nothing to do with the term Provisioning, GSM and CDMA carries all provision.

This is just my 2-cents worth and I may be wrong too...
    matt
    Originally posted by Burkhardi
    I thought that the "Sprint Provisioning" was provisioning (setting up/Handshaking/letting the carrier provide info for you) with the carrier Sprint, to talk to their network per se.

PCS Vision is the data connection that uses Sprint as your ISP.

Vision has nothing to do with the term Provisioning, GSM and CDMA carries all provision.

This is just my 2-cents worth and I may be wrong too...
    matt
    The problem I'm having is I'm trying to get a virgin (Never been on a Sprint Network) T600 from Handspring directly onto Verizon. When I try to connect to VZW's Data network, It fails then says "Preparing Vision Services / Your phone must be configured for Vision services. This process will take a few minutes. Would you like to do this now?". If I select now, it fails. If I select later, it will do it again.
    Well I am no expert but I think I can explain what's going on

Sprint Provisioning is as described the inital network configuration.
    You must basically use that pre determined setup to get your phone to register with the P2k Database on Sprint's Side to give yourself access to their network and so they can bill you, track your useage etc. I liken this process to if you've ever signed up for AOL, the first time you sign on, you go to an inital 800 number to download setup info and get your dialup numbers in your area.
    Then you pick some access numbers and then you sign up using your name and pass..... etc.
    Thus you must do the same with Provisioning.
    As for the Vzw issue, I'd search for the Thread on Getting the Treo 600 to work on Verizon, if I remember correctly there was a way to manually input your settings to match the correct ones on verizon's side. If you have the right IP Numbers and other serverside configs you (in theory of course) should be able to access any network you have access to.
    I hope this helps
    When the dark clouds gather on the horizon, when thunder and lightning fills the sky, When fate is but a glint in the eye of a fallen Rattler, And hopes are lost friends, When the sinew of the chest grows weary from those hard-charging linebackers, And the muscles in the legs grow tired from those hard-charging running backs ... You must remember that the Rattlers will... Strike, Strike, and Strike again.
    Originally posted by jfmcdowell357

As for the Vzw issue, I'd search for the Thread on Getting the Treo 600 to work on Verizon, if I remember correctly there was a way to manually input your settings to match the correct ones on verizon's side. If you have the right IP Numbers and other serverside configs you (in theory of course) should be able to access any network you have access to.
    I hope this helps
    Been there, doing that, no matter what I do it keeps flipping over to wanting to do the Sprint version of it. I'm wondering if there is a file I can create, a bit I can twiddle, a setting I can make that will stop that. I did, SOMEHOW, get it to dial out once w/o it trying to do the Sprint Provisioning.... But I had a spelling error and it didn't work, and now I can't get it to do it again.