1.    #1  
    I have not been following the threads on the Sprint 1.1 updater and there are too many threads out there. I've read some of them bt did not find what I am looking for. I am not a big user of SMS and do not have a pressing need for it. In light of that, should I install the 1.1 updater? Will it do more harm than good?
    Thanks in advance.
    There is a "poll" on this that is usefull.

The long, long thread has some good info in it. It even goes over the results people got. I know it's long, but it has good info, I had to read through all bizzilion pages before I decided to do it.

Even if you don't use SMS, I think it will still crash from time to time,mine would with just the voice mail icon poping up (old ROM version).
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t47443/s.html
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t47093/s.html

Good luck, Matt

I am sure it's just CYA, but sprint made it sound like you had to do it, for future updates to work...makes no sense, it's a ROM update, you redo the whole thing.. Du-no?
  3.    #3  
    Luck is what I didn't have. I did a hotsync backup to laptop and to SD card using backup buddy VFS first, then did a hard reset as suggested before I ran the updater. My 600 did not behave as described in the updater procedure, which is not very well written and leaves you wondering what to expect as far as feedback on the Treo. I had a blank screen during the update initially and then it went blank, which is not what the updater is suppose to do. It is suppose to stay on the whole time. How do I know if the updater is done? Can I run it again?

Originally posted by Burkhardi
    There is a "poll" on this that is usefull.

The long, long thread has some good info in it. It even goes over the results people got. I know it's long, but it has good info, I had to read through all bizzilion pages before I decided to do it.

Even if you don't use SMS, I think it will still crash from time to time,mine would with just the voice mail icon poping up (old ROM version).
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t47443/s.html
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t47093/s.html

Good luck, Matt

I am sure it's just CYA, but sprint made it sound like you had to do it, for future updates to work...makes no sense, it's a ROM update, you redo the whole thing.. Du-no?
  4.    #4  
    I think I'm screwed. I was demo-ing Msafe before I did the updater and didn't think to turn it off first and now I can't get into my Treo. I do a hard reset but Msafe pops up immediately but it does not acknowlege my password. Any ideas what to do? I can't believe this is happening.
    You backed it up on your laptop and or Backup buddy. Do a hard re-set. BTW, did you have any hacks or 3 party apps (other then mSafe) active/on/enabled at the time?

Good luck
  6.    #6  
    I was able to hard reset, create a new user then ran the updater using the new user name. Then restored data using old user name. Now I have to test and see if everythings OK or not.
    address book did not get restored. What file is that?
    True story: Yesterday, I sent an SMS message to a friend of mine (basic Nokia phone, no Palm or Pocket PC OS) in response to an SMS he had sent me. When I came by his place that same evening, I asked him if he got my SMS. He did! And I saw the message live--in the flesh--as clear as day. And I DON'T HAVE the 1.1 update installed. So If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

The Only SMS thing that doesn't work is sending an SMS from my T600 to Web-based e-mail addresses. As a test, I sent two separate SMS messages to 2 different Yahoo e-mail accounts. SMS says that they were sent, but my in-boxes of my e-mail show otherwise.

The only other thing to figure out is to see if Sprint will charge for SMS. If so, I'll be getting the separate T600 SMS program.

Now if Sprint will get that firmware upgrade ready so I can look on getting that THB car kit! But even then, I'll do the wait and see approach. I'm not usually a procrastinator, but in some cases (like upgrades), 'tis truly better to wait it out.

###
    in the Handspring folder, you will see your user name, in that folder there will be an Address folder (also a datebook for dates).
    is this what you want?