1.    #1  
    I need some help and suggestions with this dilemma (basically, I feel I was screwed by Sprint).

Last Friday, 1/30/04, I called Sprint's 1800 number inquiring about the Treo 600, and I ended up signing up for a 2 year contract, and bought 2 phones. I bought the Treo 600, and the Samsung VGA 1000. The girl who helped me seemed very nice, and gave me the following deal:

$45 for 500 shared minutes
    $15 PCS Vision Picture Pack
    $5 Voice option
    She told me the $20 monthly charge to add a line and share minutes would be forever waived. She said if I ordered before 2/1/04, I would be "grandfathered in", and would never be charged for sharing minutes.

She also told me that they had the Treo 600 in stock, and it would be shipped the same day, Friday 1/30/04. She talked me into the VGA 1000, saying what a great phone it was, and how great the camera is.

Well, the phones shipped yesterday AM (2/2/04), and they arrived today. Unfortunately, they sent 2 different phones than I had ordered. They sent me the Treo 300, and the Samsung VI 660.

After spending over 3 hours on the phone today, nothing was resolved. The Treo 600 is now out of stock. A customer care rep finally told me that she would research it, and call me back tomorrow. Since I was concerned about if my original calling plan would be honored, she told me the $20 fee for sharing minutes would only be waived for 3 months, and then I would incur the charge every month (total charge of over $400 over the life of the contract). She told me my sales rep never should have offered me the plan that she did.

So, what do you think I should do? I have nothing in writing since the order was placed over the phone. All I have is the sales rep's first name, and call center city. I feel like I agreed to a 2 year contract with Sprint, and now they are trying to change not only the phones I ordered, but also the calling plan fees they promised. Should I bite the bullet? Should I fight to have my agreed upon plan honored, and wait for the Treo 600 to become available? Or should I just say screw it, and run away from Sprint?

Thanks for your time and thoughts.
    It seems incredibly unlikely to me that they would be willing to waive the $20 sharing fee for the second phone. I think that was truly a case of something sounding too good to be true. You never should have been promised that in the first place...but then this is Sprint we're talking about...
    You have 14 days to test your services, then your locked in for the long haull
    Originally posted by colonelmustard
    It seems incredibly unlikely to me that they would be willing to waive the $20 sharing fee for the second phone. I think that was truly a case of something sounding too good to be true. You never should have been promised that in the first place...but then this is Sprint we're talking about...
    they waived the $20 for my second phone, but
    1) that was over a year ago (but it's still waived)
    and
    2) i have a 3rd phone, so i'm still paying a sharing fee
    I would dispute the service charge - and bring your credit card company into it if need be (assuming that you used a CC for billing purposes).

It's not a sure fire method, but it may help leverage a "they said, we said" argument.
    Situations like that (more so the switching of the phones) really put me off.

Is there a reason why you HAVE to be with Sprint? Would you be open to trying out T-Mo or Cingular? From everything I can read/test the GSM version of the Treo is getting better results in the field than the PCS.
  7.    #7  
    The reason why I opted for Sprint is 2 main reasons:
    1) Faster data speeds
    2) Better price (or so they told me when I signed up)

I can go to another provider, but one issue now is that one of my numbers has been ported over to Sprint already.

Thanks for your responses.
    I would send the phones back to sprint nad then try to find a treo600 locally. I found my treo at the local best buy, when then were sold out everywhere else. I would not have ported the number or cancel old service until the new service phones are in hqnd and working.

if you can't find a treo 600, I would send the phones back immediately, and cancel the service, reverse port your number back to your old phone/carrier.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Sounded like the service rep you spoke with was new. She sent you the wrong stuff, simple mistake in my opinion. Send them back and wait for the right stuff. Mistakes happen, its life.

Joe
    Originally posted by colonelmustard
    not true... i have 5 lines sharing i do not pay anything on the 4 lines, just taxes. I know alot of people who are setup that way. Ive been setup that way for about 4 months, also all my lines have no contracts.
  11.    #11  
    How many minutes are on your plan? I guess if you have 2000 minutes or more, they don't charge to share the minutes.

Basically, I'm convinced my sales rep outright lied to me. I'm convinced she wasn't mistaken because I asked her why I didn't have to pay the $20 additional line fee, and she said I'd be "Grandfathered in if I signed up before February 1". I'm sure she also lied about the Treo 600 being in stock, and that's why I received the Treo 300 instead. No one at Sprint (I've talked with several "supervisors") will honor what I agreed to, and they all say there's no way to track down my sales rep (Kristina in Kansas City). They have all said that it is "impossible" to not be charged for the second line.

In follow-up, they are sending return packages for me to return the wrong phones. I was going to cancel my contract with Sprint, but I would have lost my cell phone #'s (they were in the process of being ported over, and one won't be ready until 2/23/04). (And they were going to still charge me the activation fee!!) I was able to find the correct phones at a local Sprint store.

My advice to anyone trying to decide who they should business with is be very careful with Sprint, and never do business with their 1800 number. Always deal with real people with real names at the retail stores.