1.    #1  
    Because I could not send SMS, and I understand a large number of treo users cannot as well, I called Sprint last Thursday to see when it would happen. First they had no idea what i was talking about, so he put me on hold to figure it out...figures, then he came back and said it would be available Feb 3..........That's Today (just in case you didn't realize it). I live about 30 Miles outside of Jacksonville, FL. Has anyone else heard a date? I'm not convinced this guy knew what he was talking about.
    I've called Sprint numerous times and was told something different each time. On 2/1/04, Sprint told me 2/3/04, absolutely without a doubt, sms would be working. On 2/2/04 I called again and was told that sms was suppose to launch fully on 2/2/04 but that was pulled and there was no new launch date.
    New, official launch date is 2/15/04...

...am I holding my breath? No.
    Still no SMS in DC. And since Treo600SMS doesn't work now and neither does the TextMessenger, it's back to Shortmail for me. Thanks Sprint! You F-ing RULE!!
    Treo600sms works well.....atleast in Chicago for me. Their servers were down a couple of weeks back. But they have reconfigured with SPrint's new text messaging page. There are reports that SPrint's SMS works in lower Manhatton and selecy NJ locations. One even stated that when they removed Treo600sms....SPrint's SMS came to life...Interesting to say the least!!

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    Well, yesterday no sending sms. Today (2/3/2004), I just successfully sent 2 text messages from my Treo! WOOHOO!!!
    I sent one to myself to test speed, took about a minute to get back to me.
    Savannah Ga. Today (2-3-04) SMS started working. So far its been up for at leat 10 hours with no interruptions. I have sent messages to E-Mail addresses and phone numbers. I did not receive the supposed SMS alert from sprint to tell me that it was operational.

One odd thing though. When I send an SMS to my phone, or another sprint phone it is almost instant. When I send to another service provider (verizon, T-Mobile, Cingular) it takes about an hour for it to go through.
    I'm in Reno this week and nothing here. Curious if Bay Area got it tho. guess I'll find out when I get home on Friday. Wish it would just hurry and get activated. I carry a 2way pager for work (required) and would like to start using my phone to send text pages instead since the pager doesn't work in basements or elevators very well. plus I just want to be able to send them to pager email addresses. it'll be like having a blackberry. why do 2way pagers still use archaic and unsecure radio bands? it doesn't work more than it does!
    SMS is up and running in Dallas, TX. today (2/3)!!
    Originally posted by FreePour
    Savannah Ga. Today (2-3-04) SMS started working. So far its been up for at leat 10 hours with no interruptions. I have sent messages to E-Mail addresses and phone numbers. I did not receive the supposed SMS alert from sprint to tell me that it was operational.

One odd thing though. When I send an SMS to my phone, or another sprint phone it is almost instant. When I send to another service provider (verizon, T-Mobile, Cingular) it takes about an hour for it to go through.
    Just sent a test message to a Verizon phone and it went right through. I'll have to test it with some other providers to see how it works with them too.
    I was able to send to my wife's phone from Cincinnati, OH on 2/3...

PS: also received two SMS messages to today that look like:

//SVAgIBMQBAAB0JSzL/... (on and on)...

Spam? Viruses propogating? Sprint testing? Somebody with working SMS that stuffed their Treo in their purse? :-)

Any ideas?
    Ok, so now a bunch of us have been able to send/receive SMS but has anyone received the SMS from Sprint saying that it is active?
    Or has anyone heard any FINAL info on what SMS will cost?
    Called customer service on Monday the 2nd and the rep said she just went to "the class on SMS". She said the national rollout date was bumped to Feb 18. The prices are $5 a month for 100 SMS messages and $10 a month for unlimited. If you dont sign up for one of these monthly plans you can still SMS, but it is 10 cents a message. I have been told the wrong info by Sprint CS before though. We'll see.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    If you use Business Connection, that is the SMS message they use to signal the app to send/receive.

Originally posted by rch33k
    I was able to send to my wife's phone from Cincinnati, OH on 2/3...

PS: also received two SMS messages to today that look like:

//SVAgIBMQBAAB0JSzL/... (on and on)...

Spam? Viruses propogating? Sprint testing? Somebody with working SMS that stuffed their Treo in their purse? :-)

Any ideas?