1. mtk
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    The TreoCentral front-page article on the Sprint upgrade says the following:

* Corrects SMS Messaging with Sprint's new network SMS implementation

What if I already paid for and use PDA's Treo600SMS app? Can both the Sprint client and the PDA client co-exist? Who "owns" the quick-launch envelope button just to the right of the rocker after the upgrade? If I'm an unlimited vision customer (two year agreement), is my SMS usage through the Sprint client both unlimited and free? If it isn't and I use the PDA client, exactly what am I sending? An SMS message that will be metered and charged somehow? Or a plain old data message over TCP that PDA's SMS proxy servers turn into a real SMS message, free of charge (free of metering)? How the hell does SMS work anyway??

* Fixes web browser cookie corruption and cookie size management

Can I get an upgraded Blazer directly without going through the upgrade process? The cookie bug is frequent and annoying. Some have mentioned that their web browsing after the upgrade is *noticeably* faster. Why would that be? How does Blazer work? It seems like older versions (versions for older Treo models with slow processors) used a proxy server somewhere to pre-process the web pages (basically, to borrow CPU cycles from beefy servers). However version 3 for the 600 is not supposed to use a proxy at all (which would be my preference since most people under-provision their proxies, constraining users to death by slow browsing. And who wants people spying on your browsing anyway??). Yet the recent wide-spread Blazer outages (other data apps were unaffected) seems to be caused by the undocumented use of a Sprint proxy (to log our web usage?) and seems to be fixable by specifying an explicit proxy as a Blazer option. Exactly what's going on here??

* Enables the use of numbered keys to navigate pages on Sprint's mobile website

Is this just a Blazer change? Something to enable support for WAP pages? Something else? I've always wondered why sites with support for "mobiles" offered numbered items on their pages that didn't respond to my entering the number. I guessed that this was WAP for use in keyboard-constrained phones.

* Corrects provisioning issues that have occurred on a small number of devices

I know what the word "provision" means in general, but what precisely does this mean in the context of Sprint? Why would I care if everything I did worked already? Is it this change that speeds up Blazer for some??

It seems like the 1.10 upgrade consists of program upgrades (Blazer, Sprint's SMS client) and a flash ROM upgrade to enable SMS. If I already do SMS courtesy of PDA and I don't need to be "re-provisioned" (whatever that means) why can't I just upgrade Blazer directly, a simple and safe process compared to the experiences of many who attempt the upgrade??
    Unless you really need one of the bug fix features, I would wait before upgrading. People seems to have some quirky reactions (like me - weird hotsyncing) to the upgrade. Better to wait a couple weeks to see the total ramifications.
    http://www.firstadopter.com - where early adopters discuss great stuff first
  3. mtk
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    from scanning the existing messages, it seems like most of the problems are due to hacks and attempting to install the upgrade without a hard reset (which reboots the palm without running any hooks to initialize apps).

but i'm still looking for answers to my questions. i need to *understand* what i'm doing with my treo 'investment' :-).