Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It's been three months since Sprint released the Treo 600, with who knows how many months of beta testing. In that time we've seen that Sprint reps have no clue on what the Treo 600 is; problems connecting to Vision; problems browsing the web using Blazer and now soft resets on receiving SMS.

For what we paid for these things, we shouldn't have to put up with this. So.... what to do?

Just to take the pulse of the Sprint T600 community I'm looking to find out how upset we all are. I am setting up an email box to collect a list of users that would be interested in pursuing a class action suit against both Sprint and PalmOne for damages from a defective product (btw, I am not a lawyer, just a disgruntled consumer).

So, if you are having problems, and think that enough is enough, please feel free to email me at sprclassaction@flytwa.net. If I get a large number of responses (say > 500) I will contact all to see if what the next step might be.

Thanks for putting up with my rant!
    You've got to be kidding right?
    If not, you need more important things to do. You gonna sue Bill Gates and M$ because Windows crashes? Frivlous lawsuits are a huge problem in this country. So, just exactly how are you "damaged" by this phone? If I were the judge, I'd laugh you right out of my courtroom.

Speaking strictly for myself.
    Carl
  3.    #3  
    Carl,

Thank you for your thoughts. While I agree that frivolous lawsuits are a bane on our society, I would argue that this one is not frivolous.

We were sold a product with certain specifications and expectations. Obviously (to me at least) some aspects of the product were not ready for primetime. Should we be expected to be the 'beta tester'? With $500 invested in the phone, at least $100 in accessories and a Sprint bill of $100/ month, I have $900 invested with more to go. On top of that I can't even start counting my wasted time trying to get things to work right.

For example, I depend on web access for my consulting business. I purchased the device because I felt it would add value to my services. Instead I've ended up tracking down Sprint's problems.

I'm not looking to get rich. The purpose of any lawsuit would be to get Sprint to get their act in gear and for PalmOne to support their product properly. Perhaps with enough potential plaintiffs Sprint would allocate the appropriate resources to this product.

Remember, we are a very small user base of Sprints total customer list. This would be just like the old saying, the squeeky wheel gets the grease!

Just my 2 cents.
    Get over it or move to another carrier. Dirt Cheap Prices usually equal bad service. You get what you pay for.
    BoeingPilot, contrary to bradschmidts inspiring words, I applaud you for seeking to invoke the right of a citizen to use the legal system to cause change.

I'm not a treo 600 user, but I've thought about class actions suits myself (specifically against Comcast/ATT/Mediaone for their half-*** 'always on' cable modem service).

Don't let bradschmidt discourage you. Let the courts decide if a case if frivolous or not. If you feel a lawsuit is necessary, by all means act within your rights and see what can be done.
    The world is full of products that do not meet expectations. For every one who thinks they were sold an "inferior" product in the Treo600, you will find a dozen who think the opposite. You can not live in the technology world without problems. Why not sue Microsoft for allowing worms and viruses to infect our computers.

I know, you dont want to make any money off this (yeah right), but the lawyer you find to take this (if you can find one), see it only for its potential financial woth to him. He could give a rip about the "injustic that this phone causes you". If you think you are going to "teach sprint a lesson", I doubt it. Higher operating costs are passed along to the the consumer as higher prices.

I am not defending Sprint, I think their customer service sucks. However I have a CHOICE. If Sprint were a wireless monopoly, and the only phone you could buy were a Treo600, then perhaps you might have a case. But, the beauty of America is we have choices. Vote with your wallet, ditch Sprint and the Treo if they do not meet your needs. Get over it an move onto the bigger problems/issues in life.

Do you get that fired up about poiticians raising taxes at every turn? Do you worry about who is teaching your kids at school and what they are being taught. Sometimes you gotta be a duck and let the small stuff roll off your back. Your gripes about a cell phone (albiet an expensive phone) is a small issue in the grand scheme of life. Brad is right..... time to move on.
    Carl
  7.    #7  
    Carl,

Unforunately I can't vote with my wallet! Unlike using windows, a Sprint Treo is locked to Sprint, and I have a service contract to boot. So, I (like every other Sprint contract) is liable for a termination fee while Sprint has no obligation (contractually) to fix and support the product they've sold

At least with windows I can wipe the machine and install Linux.....
    Not interested in a lawsuit. I've been thoroughly satisfied with the Treo 600 and Vision service, and marginally satisfied with Sprint customer service. I haven't had any inordinate problems with Blazer, Vision, or the SMS system (yet).
    The class action suit against Verizon that must have inspired this idea was a different animal. That affected millions of users' home service, and despite the people who are now using cell as their only service, that base is still negligible.

I've been with several of the carriers, and they all suck. But this is a national trend. While we're all touting the glories of the free market, this big fish eat little fish climate leaves consumers out in the cold. The level of customer service has taken a nose dive in this climate,as that is the first division that suffers as companies become national monoliths. And we are all willing participants because we want to have the coolest device.

So no, you can't really vote with your feet now, but you can remember the next time that next new shiny object has you drooling.

And you can get some small satisfaction the next time you speak to a Sprint rep and they ask you if you want to change your home long distance, you can say "Are you out of your f****** mind?"
    Originally posted by BoeingPilot
    Carl,

Unforunately I can't vote with my wallet! Unlike using windows, a Sprint Treo is locked to Sprint, and I have a service contract to boot. So, I (like every other Sprint contract) is liable for a termination fee while Sprint has no obligation (contractually) to fix and support the product they've sold

At least with windows I can wipe the machine and install Linux.....
    I dont know if the service contract says they have no obligation to fix what you are unhappy about, but you agreed to the contract.
    I dont agree with you guys. We do have choices. The Treo is supported on GSM and CDMA. There are threads about people sucessfully moving their CDMA treos to Verizon. you could sell your Treo on eBay. A do agree that you have an obligation to a termination fee, but again, you agreed to the contract. I am not saying that voting with your wallet is cheap or easy. When your contract is up, you can move along. There sure in enought info on the internet, on public message boards that you could have research before you agreed to a contract with Sprint and the Treo. I know everyone thinks big companies are evil and should give everything away, but that is the way the market works. Take it or leave it. The market generally does a good job of sorting the wheat from the chafe, but sometimes it takes time.

Again, I dont think a law suit is in order. I think it is silly. Have you tried to resolve your issues with retention? Specifically what problems do you have that make you think you have a legal action agains Sprint. I am very curious.
    Last edited by CarlGalgano; 01/29/2004 at 09:09 AM.
    Carl
    Oh ya a lawsuit. These things will happen as a result.

You will waste years of your life.

You will not effect any changes in Sprint.

You will make some lawyer a lot of money IF they settle.

You will not get the 600 working the way you want.

You will waste valuable court time that should be spent on cases that matter.

Get over yourself. Go buy a different phone. This is a free market. You CAN get out of your contract. The price of your lesson will be higher, but it's possible. Ebay the phone or just use it as pda. People like you make me wanna just spit. Sue happy morons. Get a life and quit whining about how much the big bad Sprint has hurt you. Make a choice and go to another carrier (and another forum) and get on with your life.

(Carl, you are far nicer and more eloquent than I but I am in total agreement.)

Oh and the next time any beoing plane crashes I am going to sue you, because you are involved in the big airplane conspricy to ruin my life by making faulty planes. (see how stupid that sounds?)

Woof
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    if you are really that upset contact the FCC and complain. that will get sprints attention.
    ...damages from a defective product...
    You should get in touch with TreosStink. Looks like he's having more problems that you are. http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...47137/s/h.html

BTW, what is the end result of suing a company? The company loses money which results in laying off people (that had nothing to do with the "defect") and raising the prices for everyone else. The people responsible, the people at the top, couldn't care less.
    I have the world in my Palm
    Just to take the pulse of the Sprint T600 community I'm looking to find out how upset we all are. I am setting up an email box to collect a list of users that would be interested in pursuing a class action suit against both Sprint and PalmOne for damages from a defective product
    Not only do I think you have no chance of winning such a lawsuit, the class is small enough such that there would be no proceeds left over at the end. And that is before I even mention that I think such lawsuits set a bad example and erode the sense of personal responsibility.
    I think the Windows analogy is a very bad one. Despite the propaganda Windows-haters spout, Windows, in it's modern incarnations, does not crash, period. I've been using XP since it was released, and I have never once had an OS crash. Hell, with the exception of the flawed ME, I haven't had any trouble since Win 95. True, I have had programs crash, but the majority of those programs were games, which are notorious for bad code, and, in fact, the only crash I can remember having anytime recently was one I purposely triggerred.

This is a very different situation, in which the basic functions of the system do not work. If Internet Explorer crashed the PC, or if word commonly crashed, then there would be some problems. The Treo, in some people's cases, is doing the equvelant.
    c'mon boeing - why not spend time & energy on something more useful & productive. If you have issues with your $500 phone, return it, take the money, donate it to a charity of your choice, and head down to the nearest homeless shelter and volunteer all day - I promise you'll feel better about life. Perspective - it can be a wonderful thing. Peace.
    Why does it have to be a class action law suit? If you were harmed by Sprint/Palm in some way that violates civil or criminal law then you should file a suit, or report them to your local district attorney...or state attorney general.

As for me, my phone has pretty much worked as advertised. Sprint's customer service is pretty much what I expect by now. Very poor...but at least they're low cost.

Ken
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    I have to be honest, my Sprint Treo has been pretty darn good. I feel for those of you that have had problems, but I'm glad I didn't listen to you as I would have missed out on a terrific device.
    For minor screw-overs, e.g. not bad enough to send someone to jail, try http://badbusinessbureau.com/.

Haven't tried them, but I think it's better than a lawsuit. At least the lawyers won't end up with something if you don't.

Typical business pratice
    Last edited by thppfft; 01/30/2004 at 12:25 AM.
    I have the world in my Palm
    Originally posted by Shin_Kudo
    I think the Windows analogy is a very bad one. Despite the propaganda Windows-haters spout, Windows, in it's modern incarnations, does not crash, period. I've been using XP since it was released, and I have never once had an OS crash. Hell, with the exception of the flawed ME, I haven't had any trouble since Win 95. True, I have had programs crash, but the majority of those programs were games, which are notorious for bad code, and, in fact, the only crash I can remember having anytime recently was one I purposely triggerred.

This is a very different situation, in which the basic functions of the system do not work. If Internet Explorer crashed the PC, or if word commonly crashed, then there would be some problems. The Treo, in some people's cases, is doing the equvelant.
    Shin_Kudo,
    You've got to be kidding right?
    IMHO Microsoft and windows have single handedly changed society's persepective on the reliabilities of devices in general. Every once in a while my TV or satellite get weird, the fix, of course, reboot. The 3 fingered salute is just part of the culture now. Any time to call for support to anyone on the planet, the first thing they tell you is to turn the device off, wait 30 seconds and turn the device back on. I am glad my car does not run any Windows OS. While I agree the past 2 incanations of Windows (XP pro and 2K pro) are much better than their predecessors, they still crash, and lock up. We run a data center with a dozen Windows 2K servers and 8 IBM AS/400 (iSeries) servers. The windoze servers still lock up or crash and need periodic attention. The iSeries boxes happily run months and months at a stretch, never need rebooting and support hundereds of users concurrently every day.

If you have not had crashes in Windows, the you are in the minority. My Treo600 is more stable than my laptop running Windows.
    Carl
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast