1.    #1  
    Which service is better Sprint or GSM? I have about the same coverage from both Sprint and Cingular.
    Originally posted by rdbex
    Which service is better Sprint or GSM? I have about the same coverage from both Sprint and Cingular.
    I guess this depends on what's important to you. I chose sprint because gsm in my area sux. I also wanted the higher data speeds for all the great data apps that run on the 600, but both gsm & cdma have their own issues.

cdma's data is definitely faster, but doesn't have the kind of "suspending" capabilities of gsm carrier's gprs. overall I'm happy with sprint's data and voice.
    -- berto
    I just switched from ATT GSM to Sprint due to drastically lower cost to access web. ($80 vs. $15 for unlimited) I The only difference I see is there seems to be longer battery life with GSM. Otherwise they seem similar to me. Of course, no ability to use your Sprint phone overseas as GSM is the standard.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    The biggest difference is the coverage area. CDMA (Sprint and Verizon) has the best. Cingular is very aggressively increasing GSM coverage, check out their maps. AT&T roams on most of the new stuff. GSM is quite good now.

Battery life is another. A full signal in GSM gives you the best battery life. The GPRS/CDMA data connection thing is big too. Being able to halt one to use the other is awesome, GSM. The SMS issue with Sprint sucks too. You can't send them with built-in software.

World use is another, but that's relative. If you barely leave the country, its no biggie. Honestly, if you go to Europe its better to pickup a throw-away GSM phone there with a prepaid. GSM roaming over there a waste of money.

Joe
    I think gsm is prolly better but 95% of my friends use sprint and
    t-mobile wasn't offering the 600. So I chose sprint. Battery life is supposed to be nicer on gsm and being able to switch would be nice. I like sprint's 7pm night and weekends for 5 bucks.
    Sprint is better because you have drastically cheaper data rates ($15/month vs. $70 and higher for GSM) and reportedly higher data speeds. In my area Sprint has better coverage than the GSM providers.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Sprint's data rates are only $5 cheaper than T-Mobile's. You are right though, its much faster. GPRS is about 56k and CDMA's technology is 144k.

Joe
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    The GPRS/CDMA data connection thing is big too. Being able to halt one to use the other is awesome, GSM.
    In my never ending quest to quash this rumor...
    The GSM and CDMA versions of the Treo600 behave exactly the same when it comes to receiving calls when connected to their respective data services. When "actively" downloading data (indicated by the data icon turning green) neither can receive a call - it will go straight to VM.
    However, if you're connected to the data service but not actively transmitting data (such as just viewing a web page) then the call will ring through.