Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Hi, I work in the Washington DC area, and live in Northern VA. I also visit some more rural areas of VA and WV a lot for family and friends. I currently have T-Mobile, which doesn't have the coverage area to support my needs. I've also been considering getting a PDA, so the Treo 600 is looking to be an all in one solution for me.

I do have some questions though.

- Can anyone confirm if the Treo 600, with the PCS Free and Clear plan will allow me to use it around Clarksburg and Morgantown WV? I've read posts here on how it will piggy back on Verizon's digital network.

- Do most PalmOS applications work on the Treo? I'm specifically interested in some of the SSH applications out there, as it would be useful to get into my Linux servers at home and work.

*please exuse any typos, I'm typing this on a keyboard that is entirely too small for my fat fingers*
    Originally posted by barshemm
    - Can anyone confirm if the Treo 600, with the PCS Free and Clear plan will allow me to use it around Clarksburg and Morgantown WV? I've read posts here on how it will piggy back on Verizon's digital network.
    Not sure about coverage in those particular areas. Someone else might be familiar with them. Just keep in mind that while roaming on Verizon's network you will only be able to use your voice service. Not data.

Originally posted by barshemm
    - Do most PalmOS applications work on the Treo? I'm specifically interested in some of the SSH applications out there, as it would be useful to get into my Linux servers at home and work.
    That's a very broad question. Some work perfect. Some work but do not support the 5-way. Some just don't work at all. Do you have any specific applications in mind? That would help.

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    I have travelled on route 68 near Morgantown several times recently, and from recollection, it seemed that I received Sprint service just east of the Mileground exit (near the airport, exit 7 I think) continuing west straight through to route 79 north and a little ways on 79. Service does drop north of Morgantown and does not recover until near Washington PA from recollection, but then will continue to work all the way west into Wheeling WV as long as you stay on route 70.

You can use that tower map that Sprint has instead of their coverage map, it seems to give a better understanding of the coverage. Search other threads for the URL, I don't have it handy, sorry...
    Here is the link for the towers map:

http://www.sprint.com/pcsbusiness/co...towermaps.html

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Coverage west of the DC Metro Area can come and go depending on where you are.

For example, coverage on Rt. 7 going west tends to drop out around Hamilton, but picks up again around Berryville to Winchester. Rt. 9 is a big coverage hole, until you get into West Virginia.

Based on the Sprint maps, Rt. 340 from Frederick MD into West Virginia looks like it will probably drop after Brunswick, then pick up near Charles Town. I-66 west looks like there might be a brief dropout between Haymarket and Marshall, then good out to I-81. I-81 is well covered. But if you stray too far from it on a smaller road, it looks like in most of the rural areas along it you'll probably drop.

- Mike