Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    From mta6319atspcs at HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource > Provider Discussion > SprintPCS.HowardForums.com (http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=272222)

HOT !!! SMS on SPCS is here -- Read On
    Since this has been such a hot topic lately --- Here is info I got in an e-mail today while at work.

Portions of the post below were cut and pasted from a Sprint Company E-Mail.

Sprint will begin offering SMS text messsaging on it's nationwide network beginning Februay 1st, 2004. However the several designated test markets will be up and running by Monday January 5th, 2004.

Test Markets Identified in the e-mail are as follows:

(Sorry letsgoflyers81, Philly is not a test market)

Chicago, IL Metro Area
    Columbus, Ohio
    Denver, CO Metro Area
    Miami, FL Metro Area
    NYC, NY Metro Area
    Oklahoma City, OK
    San Francisco Metro Area (I can barely wait till Jan 5)
    Tulsa, OK
    Columbia, Missouri (SMS is already working here)
    Kansas City / Overland Park (SMS is already working here)

Pricing (From E-Mail)

When SMS Text Messaging product launches nationally on February 1st, 2004 new pricing will be in place. For those markets that are participating in the test, customers will not be charged during the test dates of 1-5-04 to 1-31-04. Pricing is still to be determined and will be communicated at a later date.

Phones mentioned on the e-mail

Nokia 3588i
    Toshiba VM4050
    Samsung VI660
    Sanyo 5500/VM4500
    Handspring Treo 600
    PPC 5050 (Have no clue what phone this is, but it is mentioned on the e-mail)
    Audiovox 6000 (Have no clue what phone this is, but it is mentioned on the e-mail)

The E-Mail doesn't mention anything about the LG1200, which was rumored to be software upgradeable for SMS capabilities.

The E-Mail fails to mention if it will be inter-carrier capable, but I can't imagine it wouldn't be.

I am curious if any other employees in a "test area" got a simular e-mail from either their manager or area marketing coordinator today (12/30/03).

Till next bye ... see you all later
    Dominique
    bah. They didn't include the DC area in the test. It figures.

- Mike
    San Francisco?? Sweeet!
    When you say Miami metro, do you think that includes Ft lauderdale???
    Treoseur
    Originally posted by TR30
    San Francisco?? Sweeet!
    Think this includes the greater bay area? South Bay?
    NO LOS ANGELES???

humph
    Columbia MO? its so close to st louis.... I gotta figure that they'll turn it on here too, but Columbia is served by an affiliate... Can't remember which though...
    Not to start a flame war or anything, but

When i pay $15 for internet service for a phone, you'd like to think they offer something as simple as SMS for free. ISP's out there offer email accounts that hold 20mb for free when you pay $20 a month. Why is it on my little itty bitty phone, that I can't really download anything, view tiny news stories without any graphics, but then they have to reevaluate their pricing structure for SMS. Come on, this should be free for everyone that pays $15 for Vision service or they should knock the prices down for people who don't want nor need SMS, not charge everyone extra to have it as an add on. Ugh, it just burns me up. I mean come on, how much of their bandwidth am I really using on my phone compared to what the ISP's handle. They are already making out like bandits, why do they need to charge me more money.
  9.    #9  
    What I have heard is that it would be exactly as you are saying (i.e.: anybody with a $15 Vision plan would have SMS free), so you probably will have nothing to complain about!!

Note that I am not working for Sprint ... don't kill the messenger ;-)
    Dominique
    Originally posted by reverland
    Not to start a flame war or anything, but

When i pay $15 for internet service for a phone, you'd like to think they offer something as simple as SMS for free. ISP's out there offer email accounts that hold 20mb for free when you pay $20 a month. Why is it on my little itty bitty phone, that I can't really download anything, view tiny news stories without any graphics, but then they have to reevaluate their pricing structure for SMS. Come on, this should be free for everyone that pays $15 for Vision service or they should knock the prices down for people who don't want nor need SMS, not charge everyone extra to have it as an add on. Ugh, it just burns me up. I mean come on, how much of their bandwidth am I really using on my phone compared to what the ISP's handle. They are already making out like bandits, why do they need to charge me more money.
    Why do they need to charge more money? Well, I'm no telecom guru, but think about it...Sprint is a wireless phone company not an ISP. They are taking on the role of an ISP by offering data services. To provide those services they have to add equipment, personnel, training, etc. None of that is free.

Since Sprint maintains their own network, they can't really "borrow" from someone else like a typical ISP would do with infrastructure. What you would consider to be a small amount of data (your typical SMS message) is really a lot of data when you start adding up the number of subscribers. Also, unlike Vision (where all you're concerned about is the bits of information flowing to and from your phone), SMS requires actual network STORAGE space to store the messages until your phone (or somebody elses) is ready to receive them. Multiply your messages by thousands of subscribers and you'll quickly see that it's not something that you can just throw up and say "okay here it is folks...and just out of the kindness of our hearts we're not going to charge you for it".

The bottome line...Offering a new service is expensive. Now I would agree that they shouldn't charge everyone across the board for it if they didn't ask for it. But to expect it to be free is asking a bit too much in the current market...especially since no other U.S. carrier offers it (unlimited) for free.

Keep things in perspective.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Well actually I am keeping things in perspective. Remember they offer short mail. Now while I understand that SMS-MO will allow users to send more than just text, most users will only be sending text since to go from carrier to carrier they will need to have a message that is compatible.

So your argument of offering a new service isn't justified because they are only offering a replacement for a crappy service that does pretty much the same thing.

Also to debate your argument further. How does am ISP borrow any infrastructure? For them to offer email, they have to support the amount of data flowing from people, and they have to be able to manage all of the mailboxes. You have not shown anything more complicated than what ISP's have been doing for years by offering email services. As a matter of fact you have validated my argument by showing that indeed SMS messages will be significantly smaller than email, therefore the infrastructure to hold such a service wouldn't have to be as large as an ISP offering Email. Again I will reitterate, we're paying $15 for internet service regardless of network or how many people. That's the gist of it. What do we get with this service? Downloads we have to pay for, limited unlimited bandwidth, and now we are going to have to pay for a service that takes less bandwidth than email.

I realize things cost money in life, but we're paying $15 to have internet. Considering the size of webpages that fit on a phone I think they can afford to give us some value for dollar. Shortmail is free, why is SMS going to cost money. Heck even the other carriers offer this service for free. My contract comes up very shortly, if they do indeed start charging like a lot of you think they will, I'm sure another carrier will be more than happy to offer me SMS for free.
    Well actually I am keeping things in perspective. Remember they offer short mail. Now while I understand that SMS-MO will allow users to send more than just text, most users will only be sending text since to go from carrier to carrier they will need to have a message that is compatible.

So your argument of offering a new service isn't justified because they are only offering a replacement for a crappy service that does pretty much the same thing.

Also to debate your argument further. How does am ISP borrow any infrastructure? For them to offer email, they have to support the amount of data flowing from people, and they have to be able to manage all of the mailboxes. You have not shown anything more complicated than what ISP's have been doing for years by offering email services. As a matter of fact you have validated my argument by showing that indeed SMS messages will be significantly smaller than email, therefore the infrastructure to hold such a service wouldn't have to be as large as an ISP offering Email. Again I will reitterate, we're paying $15 for internet service regardless of network or how many people. That's the gist of it. What do we get with this service? Downloads we have to pay for, limited unlimited bandwidth, and now we are going to have to pay for a service that takes less bandwidth than email.

I realize things cost money in life, but we're paying $15 to have internet. Considering the size of webpages that fit on a phone I think they can afford to give us some value for dollar. Shortmail is free, why is SMS going to cost money. Heck even the other carriers offer this service for free. My contract comes up very shortly, if they do indeed start charging like a lot of you think they will, I'm sure another carrier will be more than happy to offer me SMS for free.
    With a typical ISP, they can rely on the communication systems of the Internet at large to get your e-mail message delivered. That's what I mean by "borrowing" infrastructure. That's not the case with Sprint.

Sprint's ShortMail is nothing more than mini-e-mail delivered via Vision. If Sprint is going to deliver a TRUE SMS solution, then it will require infrastructure changes to accomodate the new protocols.

You say other carriers offer it free?...What carriers offer real inter-carrier SMS totally free in the U.S.? T-Mobile gives you 50 messages as part of your service, anything more you have to pay for. Verizon charges $2.99 for 100 messages (or 2 cents a message if you don't have a text message plan). Cingular charges $2.99/100 messages.

Do I need to go on? IF Sprint decides to charge for SMS it's not an unreasonable thing they would be doing. You may not like it, but that's the market. You have the choice of going to someone else.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Originally posted by Insp_Gadget

With a typical ISP, they can rely on the communication systems of the Internet at large to get your e-mail message delivered. That's what I mean by "borrowing" infrastructure. That's not the case with Sprint.

Sprint's ShortMail is nothing more than mini-e-mail delivered via Vision. If Sprint is going to deliver a TRUE SMS solution, then it will require infrastructure changes to accomodate the new protocols.

You say other carriers offer it free?...What carriers offer real inter-carrier SMS totally free in the U.S.? T-Mobile gives you 50 messages as part of your service, anything more you have to pay for. Verizon charges $2.99 for 100 messages (or 2 cents a message if you don't have a text message plan). Cingular charges $2.99/100 messages.

Do I need to go on? IF Sprint decides to charge for SMS it's not an unreasonable thing they would be doing. You may not like it, but that's the market. You have the choice of going to someone else.
    Though keep in mind those carriers don't charge as much for their internet service and that doesn't explain why shortmail was free.
    Just as long as I'm grand-fathered in w/unlimited SMS, I'll be happy.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    GFunk..Preach on brother!!!!...
    I still have the $10 unlimted vision. i said to hell with the picture mail when they wanted $5 more a month. I hope since the T600 was billed with SMS and there was no talk of a price hike at the time, that they will grandfather us!

We;ll see........
    Nothing in life is free. It's interesting that you think Sprint's Shortmail is free and SMS on other carriers is free. If Sprint started charging, let's say, $19.99 for Vision and then told you that you can have SMS for free, would you believe that it was truly free?
    Originally posted by cferd

Nothing in life is free. It's interesting that you think Sprint's Shortmail is free and SMS on other carriers is free. If Sprint started charging, let's say, $19.99 for Vision and then told you that you can have SMS for free, would you believe that it was truly free?
    I have been corrected in saying that other carriers are free, but I rebutted by saying that most other carriers don't charge as much for their internet service as sprint does for Vision.

I pay $15 a month right now and Shortmail is free, so why shouldn't I believe that they would do the same for SMS for me.

I know you all want to argue with me that I think I should get something for nothing, but I'm trying to tell you we're not getting something for nothing. The vast majority of us are paying $15 a month. That's a lot of money when in comparrison ISP's deal with computers that can transfer vast more amounts of data. Yeah Sprint had to buy some things to make it operate, I'll agree with that, but they are offering something that while convienant for us cell phone users to use, is much less sophisticated and less bandwidth intensive than email. It was a lot easier to charge people per text message before you had cell phones that can send email.
    I know you all want to argue with me that I think I should get something for nothing, but I'm trying to tell you we're not getting something for nothing. The vast majority of us are paying $15 a month. That's a lot of money when in comparrison ISP's deal with computers that can transfer vast more amounts of data.
    You're talking apples and oranges here. If you're looking for "free" SMS, you can't be comparing the carrier (wireless) you want SMS from with services (ISP's) you don't need SMS from. As for relevant companies like Cingular, TMo and VZW, I would greatly appreciate if you could show me how their internet rates are cheaper than Sprint. Last time I checked, TMo was the cheapest of those 3 carriers at $19.99 unlimited.

I believe that they would do the same for SMS for me.

I know you all want to argue with me that I think I should get something for nothing, but I'm trying to tell you we're not getting something for nothing. The vast majority of us are paying $15 a month. That's a lot of money when in comparrison ISP's deal with computers that can transfer vast more amounts of data. Yeah Sprint had to buy some things to make it operate, I'll agree with that, but they are offering something that while convienant for us cell phone users to use, is much less sophisticated and less bandwidth intensive than email. It was a lot easier to charge people per text message before you had cell phones that can send email.
    HUH? Sprint's Vision service is the cheapest anywhere! Tmo unlimited data is $20/month while ATT and Verizon charge anywhere between $60-80 bucks for the glorified pleasure of checking your email w/o worrying about data limits. Heck, Cingular doesn't even have unlimited data...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I pay $5 a month for vision! :-D
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast