Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Found this too.

"Why use SMS?

SMS allows users to directly transmit messages to each other without the use of an operator (it is, however, necessary to have the underlying operator controlled wireless service). The first user can send a message to a mobile unit, via a direct connect computer. The SMS protocol of messaging is also "smarter" then standard paging. SMS is a store and forward method therefore, if the end user is not available, the mobile unit is powered off, or the unit is outside a service area, when the unit comes back on line the message will appear. A SMS message can also be sent "certified," where it will notify the message originator of the end user's receipt of the message"

and

How would you send an SMS Message over the Internet?

The front-end would simply be a section for the message (limit) and a destination address (mobile number). Then, based on your architecture, a lower layer would have to create the correct message based on the request or the message is generate server side. In the case of an end-user sending a message to a mobile unit, it would be a SMS-DELIVER message. Then entire message would then be "encapsulated" in a TCP/IP message and send to the appropriate Short Message Service Centre (SMSC). The MSC would then remove the TCP/IP layer from the message and process the message as if it were generated locally by an operator"

i know GSM and CDMA are apples and oranges, but you know.
    Here is the source
    http://www.gsm-technology.com/gsm.ph...id,smsfaq.html
    SMS is SMS and implies mobile to mobile communications. Shortmail is a bastardized implementation of SMS.

MO-SMS is synonomous with SMS.
    OK, So when Sprint says SMS, they mean Short Mail System and eveyone else refers to SMS, they mean Mo-SMS.

SO like you said, SMS= Mo-SMS is implied.

Ok, thanks I get it know.

Sprint always jacks up the terms,
    Just like Band and mode.

The Sprint person said I could not use my T600 in china due to it being a single band phone. I told her it's not single band, its single MODE and it's a DUAL Band the bands are 800MHZ and 1900MHZ (1.9GHZ).
    THey claim that the CDMA T600 Single Mode, Dual Band phone is Single band..Bottom line, they are wrong and my DUAL BAND phone DOES WORK in CHINA...
    GO figure....
    LOL.....
    No Short Mail phones are being upgraded as of now. You'll have to use web based Short Mail. The few phones I mentioned in that thread that can use Short Mail and SMS will have Short Mail disabled so you'll have to use SMS. Also, you won't be able to check Short Mail from Sprint's website once SMS is launched.

Oh please, don't get me started on band vs. mode. That give me headaches. But yeah, that's pretty much the story on Short Mail. It's the retarded redheaded stepchild of SMS that no one likes.
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81
    The few phones I mentioned in that thread that can use Short Mail and SMS will have Short Mail disabled so you'll have to use SMS.
    Which thread? I want to see if my wifes phone will be capable. She has the Sanyo 4500
    Originally posted by Advance The Man
    Which thread? I want to see if my wife's phone will be capable. She has the Sanyo 4500
    Check the first post in this thread!
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    dumb question: is "TreoSMS" the same thing as the built-in SMS app that came on my Sprint Treo? I'm *assuming* they're different as I've tried sending messages using the built-in SMS program and I get a message saying:

"Message not delivered. This service will be available soon. You will receive a text message when it is ready. Until then, you can use Short Mail to send text messages to any other wireless phone from the browser."
    The only dumb question I'm aware of is; "Where is Earth?"

Treo600SMS is an application developed to make Sprint's SMS work like real SMS. You can find it here:

http://www.pdaapps.com/Treo600SMS/default.html
    When they say disabled from the website, they mean from ones account where you have the email and calander and such. The Messaging.sprintPCS.com site will still work, correct?

That is what the message I got said, or what I got from it at least.

Yea, Red Headed stepchild is right. I'm an Engineering Tech and understand the Band and Mode and I agree...I BIG DARN HEADACHE.....

Thanks for the input everyone!
    Okay, it's been 2 or 3 days now since the "test market launch date." Is there at least one person out there from the selected 10 test markets that got there MO-SMS up and running now??
    Originally posted by TreoBill
    The only dumb question I'm aware of is; "Where is Earth?"
    I don't know, I'm hard pressed to give directions to our home from any other spot in the universe. Maybe I'm dumb, though.
    I rememer when the Treo 300 was first launched (august 02). They were promising "a couple of weeks" until they release full sms back then. It kept getting pushed back. Here it is 17 months later and still NO SMS! Sprint is totally ludicrous. I can't wait until Verizon carries the Treo 600...
    Why hasn't Sprint rolled SMS out yet? Believe me, I just switched from Nextel and Sprint is light years ahead (sound quality, dropped calls, website, phones, camera & internet capability, etc). They must have a reason, I'm sure they would like to have it.

Originally posted by treoneo
    I rememer when the Treo 300 was first launched (august 02). They were promising "a couple of weeks" until they release full sms back then. It kept getting pushed back. Here it is 17 months later and still NO SMS! Sprint is totally ludicrous. I can't wait until Verizon carries the Treo 600...
    I really dislike Treo600SMS.

Why?

1. It's a "patch job" I shouldn;t have to hop onto VISION to send an SMS.

2. Once connected to VISION, it doesnt DISCONNECT!

3. I should have to pay for something GSM customers get for free. (more or less free...)
    You dislike Treo600 or the fact you have to use it?

I hate that fact that I have to use it, but LOVE Treo600SMS by PDAapps, or else it would be a royal hop in the arse to have to go to the messaging.sprintpcs.com site all the darn time. Worth every penny. Same for Treo AlrtMgr, mLights, Graffiti anywhere, the HS mail and many others

Just my 2-cents, Matt
    Originally posted by Burkhardi
    You dislike Treo600 or the fact you have to use it?

I hate that fact that I have to use it, but LOVE Treo600SMS by PDAapps, or else it would be a royal hop in the arse to have to go to the messaging.sprintpcs.com site all the darn time. Worth every penny. Same for Treo AlrtMgr, mLights, Graffiti anywhere, the HS mail and many others

Just my 2-cents, Matt
    I cant get the vision service, so I have to pay.... er.... my company has to pay per KB for it -- but we have unlimted wireless web / wireless web messages.

I dislike the fact that if I do need to send a message real quick, I have to go to prefs - network - disconnect afterward. It should do that automatically.

I really dislike the fact that I have to worry about doing all that just to save my company some money each time I send an SMS.

I really, really dislike that I have to pay for my inconvience and my worry.

This no native SMS thing really bothers me. I'm currently a VZW/7035 user and (in the absence of ever seeing a Treo 600 on VZW) am also held back by the loss of true SMS should I dump by Verizon 7035 for a Spring Treo 600.

I use SMS all the time. INCREDIBLY useful for sending directions to a friend (or group of friends at once), movie showtimes, etc.

How a modern carrier like Sprint could not have this up and running when a dinosaur like VZW does is truly mind-boggling.

PS: To clarify the issue of data usage on VZW, I pay ZERO extra charges for high-speed data service on my 7035 in exchange for all data minutes coming out of my voice minutes allowance.

If I were to ugprade to unlimited data (as with Spring Vision), I would have to pay $40/mo + my standard voice plan.

So in some ways Sprint is cheaper, but in other ways it's more expensive. For a $40/mo (A=400/M=1000/W=unlimited) plan I've never gone over my monthlly allowance. Switching to Sprint I'd be paying $55 for 100 less anytimers, NO M2M, much more data service, and surcharges for any roaming (VZW has never charged me to roam).

...if only we had a clue what Verizon's plans (or lack thereof) were for the Treo 600.

Speed
    from what I've heard at work, for everyone that has a vision plan and a compatible phone, i think they will get 100 SMS msg for free. no vision plan default rate is 10c a msg, and you can buy bundles of 100 msg for 5.00$
    they could change this at any time, but i work in customer service, and that's the latest info that we have.
    When?

Originally posted by mtparadigm
    from what I've heard at work, for everyone that has a vision plan and a compatible phone, i think they will get 100 SMS msg for free. no vision plan default rate is 10c a msg, and you can buy bundles of 100 msg for 5.00$
    they could change this at any time, but i work in customer service, and that's the latest info that we have.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123