Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    here it is, jan 5th, i'm in nyc and no SMS.

why am i surprised?
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    How could you test to see if SMS is working if you already have Treo600SMS installed?

Also I find it funny that Columbia, MO is a test market and not St. Louis, MO.
    i don't have treoSMS
    Any news from other test markets?
    San Francisco bay area (peninsula) is a no go at 7 PM PST.
    You'll have to disable Treo600SMS if you have it installed to test the native SMS on Sprint. It's not obvious, but tap the word Enabled on the Treo600SMS menu bar to do it. When you start Treo600SMS don't let it send you to the SMS application.

And as of this morning (Jan 6) still no native SMS in the Chicago market, but it is only +3 degrees Fahrenheit here today and the bits are slow!
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Just disabled treosms but it is not active in San Juan, PRPRPR $yet$.

Originally posted by dougblair
    You'll have to disable Treo600SMS if you have it installed to test the native SMS on Sprint. It's not obvious, but tap the word Enabled on the Treo600SMS menu bar to do it. When you start Treo600SMS don't let it send you to the SMS application.

And as of this morning (Jan 6) still no native SMS in the Chicago market, but it is only +3 degrees Fahrenheit here today and the bits are slow!
    SMS ain't working here either, at around 1:00pm in San Jose, CA.

It's not unusual for the Sprintiots to miss a commitment.
    --
    TreoBill
    What will be so magical about sms? What will it do?
    It'll allow you to spend 10 cents to send a short text message to another mobile phone user without having to access the Sprint web-based portal, as is the case today.

SMS - Short Message Service

Most cellular carriers allow for SMS messages to be sent directly from the device, without requiring Internet access.
    I disabled Treo600SMS and tried to send a text message. Got the dreaded " not available yet " message. In the mean time.....keep using my Treo600SMS software and living life while Srint decides wheather they want to join the rest of the wiresless world of REAL text messaging.

IGO ( Chicago )
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    talked to a Sprint rep yesterday (take it at face value) and he made it sound like MO-SMS was nothing more then what the other carriers are doing now. In other words, just type in theor 10 dig number and your good to go. Just like the TreoSMS from PDAapps works for the T300 and T600.
    For what it's worth, Matt Burkhard
    Originally posted by TreoBill
    It'll allow you to spend 10 cents to send a short text message to another mobile phone user without having to access the Sprint web-based portal, as is the case today.

SMS - Short Message Service

Most cellular carriers allow for SMS messages to be sent directly from the device, without requiring Internet access.
    Actually, anyone with a Treo already activated on a plan with Vision will be grandfathered into free unlimited SMS.
    I don't have TreoSMS, but I do receive text messages from a friend with Att. How am I receiving these if we don't have SMS yet?
    How do you retrieve those SMS messages? You have to go to your web browser, right?
    Yes, I do - so I guess this is just like email not SMS.

Originally posted by TreoBill
    How do you retrieve those SMS messages? You have to go to your web browser, right?
    SMS (Short Mail Service) I thought was originated via a web/email type setup, hence the name SMS.it's short mail, it's an emai per se, that is short, you are limites to only small number of characters (like 160ish).

In other words, you had to go to a website (Like messaging.sprintpcs.com) to send an SMS to someone. However, anyone can receive the SMS (even us), they just can't send it w/o using the website, either to their knowlege or being transparent (as in the PDAapps TreoSMS) where they connect to vision for you and send it from their end. Now even thought our hands are tide with SMS, others (like AT$T can send to us with their Mo-SMS with just our 10 digit number(if their phone supports it)

So we Sprint customers have always has SMS, but not true text messaging (MO-SMS) like everyone else, you know, were you can send and recive w/o a web site and you can just use the 10 digit number, not the number followed by @messageing.sprintpcs.com or to-momail.net ETC.

So the new system. Will be Mo-SMS and work like the TREOsms patch does, but not using vision and/or PDAapps site.

CAN ANYONE SHED more light on this, am I close on what I am saying?

We do and have had SMS (short mail service)
    What we are waiting for is MO-SMS (Mobile originated SMS) that everyone esle has and calls text messaging.

Little help please, Matt Burkhard
    You're actually pretty far off there. When someone talks about SMS, they're almost always referring to MO-SMS. Here's an accurate description of SMS, Short Mail, and the differences between the two.

Treo600SMS automates the Short Mail process to make it feel more like SMS, but it's subject to many of the same problems are traditional Short Mail.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=268718
    Also, some SPrint phone as so crippled, that they have to go to the site to see or send SMS, some just have to go there to send, and then the T600 for example can do both once MO-SMS is up. So I think the messaging.sprintPCS.com site will still be up for a long time, or else there will be a bunch of poeple that had a feature that they can't use anymore. It my understanding that SPrint is just removing the SMS stuff from your profle in the MYSprint area when you log into your account.
    Excpet for Sprint, we always have called it SMS. Everyone else calles Mo-SMS Text messaging I thought? Not arguing, just trying to learn.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast