1.    #1  
    My Treo 600 works great everywhere but inside my home as I live in a steel-reinforced building, and signal strength is weak to non-existent.

I was reasoning that I could purchase a glass-mount antenna sold for cars and then use an inductive grip around the built-in stub as an interface to the Treo for sending and receiving calls, email and web-surfacing within my apartment when I cared to do so, mounting the antenna on the inside or outside of a window and leaving the treo on a table hooked up to this setup.

Is there anyone on Treo knowledgeable in this area, who could point me towards a solution like this, and whether it is plausible and would work?

Any reliable vendor to use?

Has anyone else attempted this with success?

Regards,

NateS
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
  2.    #2  
    As a matter of fact, what about the little brass port behind the black rubber stopper on the back of the treo just below the stub antenna -

Isn't/couldn't that be a port to plug in an external antenna directly?

Regards,

NateS
    The best solution would be to get a cellular repeater, however this is also a very expensive solution. Read this thread for more info. It seems Sprint was recently giving out free repeaters to select customers...alas I don't believe offerring that...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    The best solution would be to get a cellular repeater, however this is also a very expensive solution. Read this thread for more info. It seems Sprint was recently giving out free repeaters to select customers...alas I don't believe offerring that...
    Thanks for those great leads. Made for some very interesting reading!

Curious that the messages posted from the guy who said he was offered a free device by Sprint, perhaps as a beta tester, trailed off in October. NDA??

Regards,

NateS
    Thought someone might appreciate this so they don't have to pull their plugs off.

Ok, I've tried to add the pic to this post but it's doesn't appear. PM me if you have a tip. I don't have a server to post it to.
    Last edited by jasonjj; 12/30/2003 at 08:16 PM.
    I was having the same problem where I was getting one bar of signal strength showing up only here at my house and just in my neighborhood.

BUT !!!!!! I found a fix for it !!!!!!

Try this:

go to your dial pad and enter *2
    then follow the instructions to update the roaming tower list into your Treo600.

NOTE: If your Treo600 is already up to date then you will be connected to the Sprint Automated help desk and you will not get an auto update done !!!!!

When you are done and then hang up, do a soft reset.

Then when you reconnect the wireless service,
    go to your dial pad and enter *18
    this will force the treo600 to find the strongest signal tower available.

After I did this I went from 1 bar of signal strength inside my house to 4 bars of signal strength.

Our Treo600's need to have the roaming tower lists updated into them every once and awhile so we always get good connections.

Try this and you may find it a miracle for you !!!!!!!!

It was for me. Thanks Sprint Technician Sven, you're a life saver.

Thanks for reading and see you out there.

Brad Hoesman Real Estate One Agent Ann Arbor, Michigan
    (734) 945-5626
    Last edited by Loki Sunrider; 01/10/2004 at 12:02 AM.
  7.    #7  
    Many thanks for this tip.

I tried it, but unfortunately in my case the I got the atuo help desk as per your note:

"NOTE: If your Treo600 is already up to date then you will be connected to the Sprint Automated help desk and you will not get an auto update done !!!!!"

So I guess I still need to look for an antenna solution.

Regards,

NateS
    Any tips for those of us that are already set-up?

NOTE: If your Treo600 is already up to date then you will be connected to the Sprint Automated help desk and you will not get an auto update done !!!!!
    I bought a repeater for Verizon for my 7135. It works well. I mounted it in the attic and it markely improved my reception in the valley where I live.
    These are the units that our local Sprint engineers are installing: http://www.emswireless.com/link2cell - about $850 each.
    Quote Originally Posted by NateS
    Many thanks for this tip.

I tried it, but unfortunately in my case the I got the atuo help desk as per your note:

"NOTE: If your Treo600 is already up to date then you will be connected to the Sprint Automated help desk and you will not get an auto update done !!!!!"

So I guess I still need to look for an antenna solution.

Regards,

NateS
    Maybe not. The Sprint system is not like Verizon. With Verizon, you dial *228 and you can do a PRL update. It's the easiest thing. But Sprint makes it a bit more cumbersome.

With Sprint, you have to request that your handset be flagged for a PRL update. The way you do this is as follows:

Dial *2

You will get their automated helpdesk system. You can try and ask for "Preferred Roaming List Update" or "PRL Update" as per a Sprint technician's recommendation, but it never worked for me. Eventually I just asked to speak with a technician. I got bumped to another technician eventually.

When the Customer Service Representative (CSR) comes on the line, ask to have your handset flagged for a PRL update. When I did this, the CSR informed me that my parent's phone already had the most recent PRL. He was completely wrong and I didn't even attempt to explain it to him. I told him to kindly flag it anyway. He did.

Then I hung up and dialed *2 again. You will THINK that you are going to the automated helpdesk system again. You're not. Just follow the instructions and your phone will eventually download the new PRL. Following a successful PRL update, the next time you dial *2, you will get the automated helpdesk system like usual.

Depending upon how old your PRL is, you can see substantial improvement in reception. Verizon releases PRL updates VERY frequently compared to Sprint, but still, it's good to check every month or two. Anything more than that is overkill.

Good luck.
    rcyphermd -

What repeater did you buy. It looks like you have to choose either celluar or PCS when you buy a repeater...
    For Sprint you would want a 1900Mhz (aka 1.9Ghz) (CDMA) PCS repeater, eh?
    JDTECK offers a personal repeater package for $365

http://www.jdteck.com/jd55-pr.htm
    I bought it at jdtech. they were very helpful. You must buy either a sprint or a verizon repeater.....unfortunately they are different.
    I bought an antenna that clips to my window for the car for the last phone I had (Samsung) the only problem is that I can't find an adaptor for the Treo 600 to use the antenna. This is a major bummer since I have no signal in my house. Still looking for a solution.

Try this site: http://www.cellantenna.com
    I just moved to the Philadelphia area and there is absolutely no Sprint service at my house or the surrounding streets. Way frustrating! I was considering a repeater, and then I called Sprint on a whim - they seemed to take it seriously. The Sprint 'dead spot' reporting number is 876-273-2163 if anyone is interested. I'll let you know if it was all just lip service or if I suddenly get a signal. BTW - the guy also said that he would flag my phone for the PRL update just incase that would help.

Dunc
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYC
    Maybe not. The Sprint system is not like Verizon. With Verizon, you dial *228 and you can do a PRL update. It's the easiest thing. But Sprint makes it a bit more cumbersome.

With Sprint, you have to request that your handset be flagged for a PRL update. The way you do this is as follows:

Dial *2

You will get their automated helpdesk system. You can try and ask for "Preferred Roaming List Update" or "PRL Update" as per a Sprint technician's recommendation, but it never worked for me. Eventually I just asked to speak with a technician. I got bumped to another technician eventually.

When the Customer Service Representative (CSR) comes on the line, ask to have your handset flagged for a PRL update. When I did this, the CSR informed me that my parent's phone already had the most recent PRL. He was completely wrong and I didn't even attempt to explain it to him. I told him to kindly flag it anyway. He did.

Then I hung up and dialed *2 again. You will THINK that you are going to the automated helpdesk system again. You're not. Just follow the instructions and your phone will eventually download the new PRL. Following a successful PRL update, the next time you dial *2, you will get the automated helpdesk system like usual.

Depending upon how old your PRL is, you can see substantial improvement in reception. Verizon releases PRL updates VERY frequently compared to Sprint, but still, it's good to check every month or two. Anything more than that is overkill.

Good luck.
    Hi Steve,

Wow - u sure seem to know your stuff!

Any idea if there is an equivalent to this process for GSM users here in the UK?

My Treo 600 is on Orange here...
    *******Treo 600 on GSM Orange UK*******
    Firmware: 03.04
    Software: Treo600-1.12/1030/03...
    Hardware: B
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunc
    I just moved to the Philadelphia area and there is absolutely no Sprint service at my house or the surrounding streets...The Sprint 'dead spot' reporting number is 876-273-2163 if anyone is interested.
    Dunc

Is there a Verizon "dead spot" reporting number??

What antenna should I use to boost a Verizon digital signal at my home?
    Quote Originally Posted by cy80rg
    Any idea if there is an equivalent to this process for GSM users here in the UK?
    I was curious about the same thing, so I did some searching.

GSM appearently does not work the same way and does not need a PRL update. It's controlled by two things. 1) what's programmed into the SIM, 2) it's also party controlled from the network side.

I found this thread on Howard Forums that covers it pretty well.
    http://www.howardforums.com/archive/topic/271254-1.html
    In that thread, they also have a link to:
    http://www.mobileshop.org/howitworks/roaming.htm