1.    #1  
    Very long time lurker, first time poster...

Has anyone else noticed this on messaging.sprintpcs.com?

After January 4, when someone sends you a text message (a One-Way Message or a Short Mail), you must use your Sprint Phone to view it (you won't be able to view it here on this website). Of course, you can continue to compose and send text messages from this website or from your Sprint Phone (some older phones cannot send messages).
    It seems as though they are changing something. Perhaps this could be the introduction of 2-Way SMS, or am I being to optimistic?
    We can hope it will come Jan 4, but I wouldn't hold my breath. It's been coming any day for months. It will get hear sometime though...
    Originally posted by NJ Dog Doc
    .... It will get hear sometime though...
    Hopefully
    From mid November to early December to late December now to January next maybe February? I got treo600sms now, Iím all good.
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by tymerock
    From mid November to early December to late December now to January next maybe February? I got treo600sms now, Iím all good.
    You may be good, but I'm not. The 160 or so character limit is just simply not enough for me.

I can't wait until it's ready to go! Hopefully this weekend's purchase will be completely good to go on the 4th!

Originally posted by RWerksman

You may be good, but I'm not. The 160 or so character limit is just simply not enough for me.

I can't wait until it's ready to go! Hopefully this weekend's purchase will be completely good to go on the 4th!

What makes you think that Sprint's new SMS (if it ever gets here)will allow you more than 160 characters?
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by cferd
    What makes you think that Sprint's new SMS (if it ever gets here)will allow you more than 160 characters?
    You know what... until you threw that out there, I never considered the posibility that it wouldn't...

Do other carriers SMS systems have a limitation?
    Carl
    Originally posted by CarlGalgano
    Do other carriers SMS systems have a limitation?
    If you are referring to actual SMS (Short Messaging Service), which is a standard on GSM networks, the answer is yes, there is a 160 character limit per message (which includes the header information such as the address of the recipient).

The key word that everyone seems to miss with regard to SMS is that it was designed for SHORT messages. If you want anything longer, use a real e-mail solution (which requires a data connection such as GPRS or Sprint's Vision).

The advantage that SMS brings to the table is that it operates without the need for a data plan and (on GSM networks) operates across multiple carriers without incompatibility issues.

Other non-GSM carriers offer messaging services that emulate SMS, but until recently, those services have only been able to communicate with people on the same carrier. The non-GSM carriers have been working on fixing those issues (I don't know if they've been completely successful yet).

In any case, SMS is NOT e-mail and shouldn't be held to the same standards. If you need e-mail then you'll need to invest in a data plan and the necessary e-mail software if your phone of choice doesn't come preloaded with it.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Gadget... thanks for the explaination. I have no problem with the 160 char limitation. I currently use text messaging extensivly to monitor our network and some of our clients. I do utilize email when email is appropriate. I was just curious as to how Sprint's SMS product will compare to the rest of the world.
    Carl
    interesting that you are sending text messages to yourself to monitor your network...is this the same sort of functionality that was available to alphanumeric pagers (e.g. use with WhatsUp Gold, etc.)?
    Originally posted by CarlGalgano
    Gadget... thanks for the explaination. I have no problem with the 160 char limitation. I currently use text messaging extensivly to monitor our network and some of our clients. I do utilize email when email is appropriate. I was just curious as to how Sprint's SMS product will compare to the rest of the world.
    I hope that Sprint's SMS will be like VZW's is. Right now it appears that I can send SMS to VZW phones... but can't be sent SMS from VZW. Should that be happening? (maybe it has something to do with the number porting process not being 100% complete...)
    Robert
    Please visit my moblog, Robert-O-Rama
    Originally posted by Robert K.

I hope that Sprint's SMS will be like VZW's is. Right now it appears that I can send SMS to VZW phones... but can't be sent SMS from VZW. Should that be happening? (maybe it has something to do with the number porting process not being 100% complete...)
    Doubtful. Remember that text messaging was an afterthought by carriers in the U.S. Once they started to realize that there was a demand for "SMS", they each came up with their own means of providing the service. The problem is that each carrier was using their own "standard" for text messaging, so messages generated on one carrier's network couldn't be seen on another and vice-versa. Sometimes the message could be received but not replied to, etc.

Until the U.S. (CDMA) carriers all get together and decide on a global CDMA SMS standard, these kinds of issues will persist.

On the GSM side, this issue doesn't exist. Since SMS is a standard feature on GSM networks and is truely standardized on GSM, all GSM carriers' SMS works with all other GSM carriers.

Even if Sprint implements a true two-way SMS solution, they still have to overcome incompatibility between carriers. Since CDMA doesn't have a standard means of doing SMS, that's a big problem that ONE lone carrier can't fix. Let's hope that somewhere in the mix of things they (and the other CDMA carrriers) work together to resolve the issue.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Originally posted by v4d4r
    interesting that you are sending text messages to yourself to monitor your network...is this the same sort of functionality that was available to alphanumeric pagers (e.g. use with WhatsUp Gold, etc.)?
    Exactly, we are using What's up Gold. One of the machines on my network also sends a "status", hello world message at 8am and 8pm every day. For a while , Sprint's messaging service would go down, and I wanted to have a wayto be sure Sprint's service was up and running. It's been good and solid for quite a while now.
    Carl
    Originally posted by v4d4r
    We also totally monitor the environment in our datacenter with a product like the Weather Duck. It monitors temp, humidity, airflow, light, door sensors, etc. Also we have a power egg attached to monitory the AMPS draw on the UPS. If we switch to back up generator, I know about it.... it is a pretty awesome way to monitor a data center without full time operations folks. I can even log onto most of our systems from my Treo to check out problems.
    Carl
    When this is enabled, is there any reason why we cannot send SMS internationally to individuals outside the US on GSM networks? I assume we face the same compatibility issues discussed above, but are there restrictions on sending messages to foreign numbers?
    Originally posted by bghosh
    When this is enabled, is there any reason why we cannot send SMS internationally to individuals outside the US on GSM networks? I assume we face the same compatibility issues discussed above, but are there restrictions on sending messages to foreign numbers?
    I think you are going to have to take a wait and see approach there. I don't think the details of any Sprint plan have been released.