1.    #1  
    It is my understanding that the Sprint T600 does not roam at all? Is this true? Are plans like America's choice with roaming unworkable with the T600. I am confused because some people are talking about getting roaming to work. I had a special add on plan that for 10 dollars a month I could roam up to 50 percent of my minutes and I have an unlimited minute plan so I basically had unlimited roaming minutes. But I cancelled it when I bought the T600 and will never be able to get it back. Can some one tell me if they are able to roam with their T600?
    You can roam with your T-600. You are not able to roam in analog mode, but you can in digital mode. Here is an explanation of both: http://www.cellularfone.us/resources/analog_digital.php

Also, with Sprint you can get the PCS Free & Clear America plan which will allow you to roam on Verizon's network for $5.00 per month.

Double check the "unlimited roaming minutes". I believe that it is 50% of your "anytime minutes" and not your "unlimited minutes".

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    I have roamed extensivly in my travels over the past 2 months with my T600. The lack of analog is a huge plus here. Sprint's T600 will roam on Verizon's HUGE digital network. Place that I was previously not able to have decent coverage with a Sprint PCS/Analog phone now is coveraged very well.

Many of the roaming agreements that Sprint has in place actually have the phone first search for an analog system first, then digital. So, you usually ended up with a crappy analog roam, that worked quite poorly and consumed your battery very quickly. Now when my T600 loses the Sprint network, it very quickly finds Verizon and roams very well.

Beware though, that I ran up additional $75 in roaming charges the first month because I did not have the $10/mo roaming option. I have since added it.

We dont need no stinkin' analog.
    Carl
    I signed up for the $5/month Free & Clear roaming agreement, but I can't figure out how to turn on (or off) roaming on my T600. Is there a setting somewhere or is it automatic? Thanks.
    Press: "Phone" / "Menu" / "Options" / "Phone Preferences" / "Enable Digital Roaming"

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

You have unlimited ROAMING OFFPEAK MINUTES IN PLAN.

That's what I see when I go to my Sprint account and I have the $5 a month free and clear america with Sprint. Makes sense because 50 % of unlimited is still unlimited. No?
  7. mtk
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    reading this thread was fascinating. i signed up for the $5/month "free and clear america" plan, thinking that the additional $60/year would be worth avoiding having to think about roaming charges at all.

later, i was told by a sprint operator that you could only use 50% of your plan's minutes while roaming under the "free and clear america" plan. that pissed me off but based on my usage pattern, i never though i would use more than 50% of my minutes (1,100/month) while roaming, so i ignored it.

tonight i was told that it isn't 50% of your *allocated* minutes . it is 50% of your *metered* or *used* minutes a month. so if i talk for 200 minutes on the sprint network and then go on vacation, i only have *100* minutes covered by the $5/month, not the 1,100 i initially expected and the 550 i thought i had before tonight's phone call.

the rest of you seem to either not have this restriction or not be aware of it? can anyone confirm that this is true? when i signed up for the $5/month, i absolutely was misled.
    It was very clear to me that the coverage was for 50% of the minutes used. (i.e, my 2000 minute plan did *not* entitle me to 1000 roaming minutes)
    The free and clearamerica plan is tricky and I assume is designed that way to make extra money for sprint.

Let's say you have 300 anytime minutes. At the end of the month, let's say if you used 100 minutes roaming and zero minutes on the Sprint Network, you have to pay roaming charges on 100 minutes, even though you still have 200 minutes left.To avoid any roaming charges, you have to use up at least 100 minutes on Sprint's network to make it meet the 50% criteria. Kinda fishy if you ask me.
    Originally posted by newtreouser
    The free and clearamerica plan is tricky and I assume is designed that way to make extra money for sprint.

Let's say you have 300 anytime minutes. At the end of the month, let's say if you used 100 minutes roaming and zero minutes on the Sprint Network, you have to pay roaming charges on 100 minutes, even though you still have 200 minutes left.To avoid any roaming charges, you have to use up at least 100 minutes on Sprint's network to make it meet the 50% criteria. Kinda fishy if you ask me.
    That is fishy... Simple solution imo is NOT to roam! But I guess if you need, then you need it...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Yep...50% of your anytime minutes.

cash70

12. mtk
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    but it isn't 50% of your 'anytime' minutes. it is 50% of the anytime minutes you've USED in the current billing period. laurie, why was this clear to you and not everyone else? in retrospect, i see that they're trying to characterize someone (crudely) as a 'transient roamer' and to give them a price break. but it is impossible to quantify the benefit from the $60/year based on the way they defined it. in other words, it is impossible to *manage* this and that makes for a bogus or bad product.
    Originally posted by mtk
    but it isn't 50% of your 'anytime' minutes. it is 50% of the anytime minutes you've USED in the current billing period.
    Yep. I know.

cash70

Originally posted by mtk
    but it isn't 50% of your 'anytime' minutes. it is 50% of the anytime minutes you've USED in the current billing period. laurie, why was this clear to you and not everyone else? in retrospect, i see that they're trying to characterize someone (crudely) as a 'transient roamer' and to give them a price break. but it is impossible to quantify the benefit from the $60/year based on the way they defined it. in other words, it is impossible to *manage* this and that makes for a bogus or bad product.
    I don't know if it's fair to say that it was only clear to me and not everyone else.

I have learned from previous experience with Sprint to ask a lot of questions about the plans or options I sign up for. There are also plenty of Sprint message boards out there that share quite a bit of information.

$5 a month is not a lot for me to pay for 4 shared phones that occassionally run into roaming areas. It makes me feel 'safer' about what my bill will look like every month.

You are not locked into paying the $5 for F&CA for the life of your agreement. It is an option you can drop at any time.
    I ran up $75 of roaming charges without the roaming option enabled the first month I had my Treo600. About 60-70% of that were not necessary calls, I was just so thrilled of the expanded coverage while travling thru rural areas while going camping. It is nice to know it is there in case you do need it though. For most of my normal usage, I am always on Sprint's network. I do have one client though who is out in the boonies in Ohio where I can now get coverage where before I could not. Well worth the $10/month.

It still isnt't Verizon's network, but then again, they aren't Verizon's pricing either.
    Carl
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Well worth the $10/month.
    I thought it was $5/month....

Regardless, does this include long distance as well? Or is it only roaming?
    Originally posted by Minsc

I thought it was $5/month....

Regardless, does this include long distance as well? Or is it only roaming?
    I think mine was $10. Well worth it still. I believe that includes everything. The roaming charges I got were like .69/min and .25/min for LD. I think we are paying like .02/min for LD at my office now.
    Carl