1.    #1  
    ive always wondered about this one... which carrier provides the clearest wireless service?

verizon is far and away the best service right now, coverage wise, but how does its reception compare to sprint`s "crispness and clarity" in call quality?

hard to know unless you`ve had experience with both carriers, but just curious.
    Originally posted by treosensei
    ive always wondered about this one... which carrier provides the clearest wireless service?

verizon is far and away the best service right now, coverage wise, but how does its reception compare to sprint`s "crispness and clarity" in call quality?

FWIW, I don't know if you are aware of this, but if you are roaming, you are on the Verizon network.......
    Originally posted by treosensei

Sprint and Verizon both use CDMA so sound quality is similar.
    In my experience with both carriers, Verizon offered overall better coverage.
    I've used them both, in about the same areas, and I've found them very similar. No major differences one way or the other....
    I changed from Verizon to Sprint and have found the service to be comparable - both very good. The biggest difference I have noticed is that the Verizon always showed a very strong signal even when calls faded away but Sprint often shows a weaker signal even though calls remain strong. Go figure!
    i love how fast sprint's voicemail notification is (instant for me). never a lag.
    I always thought that Sprint was always clearer than verizon but it could just be the phones. But IMO CDMA is clearer than GSM.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    Voice? You can talk on this thing?

Seriously though, I switched from Sprint to T-Mobile to Sprint. The T-Mobile voice quality was always much better. It degraded well and, even in areas with poor reception, I could hear the person on the other line. Sprint on the other hand sounds tinny and compressed when the signal gets weak, like the person is in an x-wing during the death star attack. That is an exaggeration, but a good example of the type of compression you hear.

It has been like this on all of my sprint phones and I can only assume it is because the network is all digital all the time.

Digital degrades absolutely
    Analog degrades gracefully
    I'm thinking about getting a Treo 600 with Sprint and I've learned that the non PCS area is basically Verizon's network. Is that accurate? If so, will the Treo 600 "roam" on Verizon's network minus the PCS features of course.

Thanks!
    Rich
    Originally posted by cybersnyder
    I'm thinking about getting a Treo 600 with Sprint and I've learned that the non PCS area is basically Verizon's network. Is that accurate? If so, will the Treo 600 "roam" on Verizon's network minus the PCS features of course.

Thanks!
    Rich
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Sprint is hands down clearer when you're on their network. When you aren't you're using 800mhz anyway. It's still Verizon, but it's not ANYWHERE close to being as clear. I sell both carriers, and the way I've alway trained my employees is to sell Verizon to the novice (who may need the better customer service) and Sprint to the people looking for the high tech, cuz hands down, be it network or handsets, Sprint is the winner there.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Thanks ChemEngr, just picked one up tonight but have to wait for AT&T to transfer the number. Sprint has some very sweet deals going and I'm getting a very nice discount since my employer has some type of relations with Sprint. My handwriting sucks, so I don't miss Grafitti at all. Just wish the camera quality was a little higher. I also picked up one of the VGA1000 phones for my wife and it's photo quality kills the Treo 600.

I'm liking it quite a bit. Nice blend of PDA/Phone.
    Originally posted by cybersnyder
    Thanks ChemEngr, just picked one up tonight but have to wait for AT&T to transfer the number. Sprint has some very sweet deals going and I'm getting a very nice discount since my employer has some type of relations with Sprint. My handwriting sucks, so I don't miss Grafitti at all. Just wish the camera quality was a little higher. I also picked up one of the VGA1000 phones for my wife and it's photo quality kills the Treo 600.

I'm liking it quite a bit. Nice blend of PDA/Phone.

Welcome to treoland, treocentral, and Sprint PCS. Enjoy.
    I regularly roam onto Verizon. Usually the quality is similar. About 20-30% of the time, however, I get an echo on Verizon. This never happens to me on Sprint. YMMV. For reference, I use my Treo most frequently in the NYC area.
    Originally posted by curtiscarmack
    I regularly roam onto Verizon. Usually the quality is similar. About 20-30% of the time, however, I get an echo on Verizon. This never happens to me on Sprint. YMMV. For reference, I use my Treo most frequently in the NYC area.
    That's happened to me too.....but when it happened I was on the Metro in DC. It also seems that people I know on other networks, especially AT&T, seem kinda muffled. TMobile has been pretty good....Nextel sounds like they're talking underwater
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    I'm just going to disable roaming unless I choose to get the free and clear america plan. "Enjoy no additional charges for roaming in this expanded coverage area, reaching more than 280 million people, as long as less than half of your monthly call time is used while roaming."

Ermhrm. I havent had to roam yet however and I've been most areas I am mainly in.
    I am currently using Verizon as well as T-Mobile. I went with T-Mobile because I just had to have the Treo 600. So far I'm happy having two carriers but hate when the bills arrive

In the past I have had experience with all the major wireless carriers so I can honestly compare their services. Keep in mind that this also depends on your location. Some carriers work better than others depending on your location. I always tell people to ask around and read reviews.

I find that Verizon's service is superior to Sprint's and below are some of the reasons. Please note that this is based on MY experiences only using the Sprint PCS network and many of the phones they offer.

With my old Sprint service, I experienced too many dropped calls and intermittent (weak) signal. My Verizon phone on the other hand, holds onto a signal much better and calls sound much clearer.

Sprint did not hold a signal as well as Verizon and calls would get "tinny" and "compressed" sounding as stated in a previous post when the signal became degraded.

Verizon has the largest nationwide network and this cannot be disputed. When traveling around I found this out pretty fast with Sprint. I was dropping calls in places where my Verizon phone now works great. I find that In-building reception is better with my Verzion phone. T-Mobile is spotty at times with this and Sprint would lose signal pretty quickly.

Sprint's customer service was basically non existent when I had the service. I got tired pretty quickly of dealing with the robot that answers your calls and attempts to help in vain.

Many reviews have put Verizon at number one and Sprint last, including Consumer Reports. They sited poor customer service and a high incidence of dropped calls in their review.

The recent number portability ruling has actually helped Verizon and T-Mobile to gain new customers. I read about this in a recent business article. AT&T and Sprint have not fared all that well.

There must be a reason for all this.
  18. mtk
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    beware of the "free and clear america" roaming plan. it isn't "free roaming everywhere" for $60/year ($5/month) like i thought initially. it isn't 50% of your allocated monthly minutes like i was told by a sprint operator later. it is 50% of your *metered* or *used* minutes per month (as i was told by a sprint operator tonight). so if you've used 200 minutes in the current period and go on vacation, you only have 100 'free and clear america' minutes covered by the $5. feels like bait and switch to me.
    I honestly havent noticed any difference, both sounds quite well in the Las Vegas area. YMMV.