Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just saw this thread over on the Pocket Tunes Yahoo Groups:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pockettunes/message/1648

The poster there writes, "Despite having the Sprint (unlimited web) $15/mo. add-on vision pack, Sprint claims I owe them $2,400+ dollars for three days of heavy (pockettunes ?) usage."

Hmm... food for though.

Regards,
    --Mathew
    does it say pocket tunes?

sounds more like he hooked it up to a computer and was downloading movies for $2500....
    That's why they say "Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered." I just don't understand why people get so upset when they get caught abusing the system.
    It sounds to me like Sprint is making a mistake. Some of the replies on the Yahoo board have some good advice. (and what a crappy board it is too).

It seems odd that Pocket Tunes would be one of the apps you could get get for free when you register your phone (Sprint has to know this) and yet you are penalized for using it. But then Sprint has always been good at pulling some wacky s**t.

Woof
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    The version of Pocket Tunes that you get when you register the Treo 600 with Handspring does not support streaming audio.
    True, but it's supposed to come with a license that supports any main version (i.e. version 2.x) of pockettunes. I think the streaming one is a version that the license should cover.
    In Canada we have to pay a per-Kilobyte fee for accessing the internet. (usually 3-5 cents a kiloybyte)

I don't know how it works with US providers, but possibly this person incurred such a cost because he streamed too much audio, hence accumulating much data usage...
    anyone else?
    I think Sprint has put themselves in a corner. They offer unlimited data usage for a flat rate. Handspring offers a program that encorages you to upgrade to the Deluxe version. The Deluxe version allows streaming. Sprint and Handspring have introduced the consumer to a product that offers streaming services and a means to stream with no limits.

If all this person did was stream with Pocket Tunes I think they are in the right and Sprint should lay off them. If not they should sue the pants off Sprint and I think they would win. I'm no lawyer though.

Given the size of the bill though it leads one to think this person may have been doing more. But if they know all they did was use Pocket Tunes to stream music I think they should stick to their guns.
    Isn't streaming audio data usage? If the user has unlimited data, then WTF? I could see Sprint now taking a look at users who use pdaNet or wireless modem. What a bunch of b.s., I would fight that $2400!!
    How many bytes does $2400 add up to? How many bytes does pockettunes streaming chalk up per hour?
    I don't understand what part of "Unlimited" is subject to interpretation. It doesn't matter if the user was downloading Paris Hilton videos 24/7, there still should be no charge.

A cell phone pipe is hard to abuse anyway. The worst anyone can do is use up their limited GSM or CDMA data bandwidth which is less than 100K.
    Originally posted by jflamm
    I don't understand what part of "Unlimited" is subject to interpretation. It doesn't matter if the user was downloading Paris Hilton videos 24/7, there still should be no charge.

A cell phone pipe is hard to abuse anyway. The worst anyone can do is use up their limited GSM or CDMA data bandwidth which is less than 100K.
    If you read the TOS, "Unlimited" really isn't unlimited. It's Sprint's pipeline, so they get to make the rules. If you don't like them, use a different carrier. Oh wait - the other carriers all charge more for slower data service.

By the way, Ms. Hilton's little home movie is far too grainy for proper viewing on the Treo's low res screen. Much better on a 19" monitor.
    Originally posted by dstrauss
    That's why they say "Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered." I just don't understand why people get so upset when they get caught abusing the system.
    This is NOT abusing the system! All the TOS says is that you can't use the phone as a modem attached to another device. In this case the user was using data on the phone itself and thus technically is not "abusing the system" at all. This is pure and simple another case of Sprint ****ing up period...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by The Chupacabra
    If you read the TOS, "Unlimited" really isn't unlimited. It's Sprint's pipeline, so they get to make the rules. If you don't like them, use a different carrier. Oh wait - the other carriers all charge more for slower data service.
    True. Unlimited always has an * after it. That's when they came up with the all-you-can-eat term which means what "unlimited" originally meant.

T-Mobile GPRS may be slower, but umm, IT'S FREE NOW! Hard to believe, but my tmo bill is way cheaper than my old Sprint bill. I pay $35/mo for 300 mins and all-you-can-eat GPRS, and that's paying $5 more than I need to because I also bought the fairly useless t-zones whatever that is.

Then again, the free (or cheap depending on how they set you up) GPRS has quite a few port restrictions. Unrestricted is $20/mo, which of course is higher than Sprint.
    Originally posted by jflamm
    Sprint has "Wireless Web" and "Vision Web". Sounds like they are getting one unlimited, but using another...

Let me tell you my story - problem caught before it got out of hand...

On my old plan, I paid an extra $5 a month to use my regular minutes as Wireless Web ones. I had a cable that I used to hook my PDA up to my cellphone. My network preferences had a bunch of Earthlink ISP numbers, and this is what I used to pull email when I was out of town.

When I got a Vision phone, I upgraded to a plan that included unlimited Vision Web. I didn't have a cable for the new phone, so I just surfed on the phone's browser.

Six months later, I got my Treo 600. Since my Network preferences still had all my Earthlink numbers for connecting to the web, I transfered the file from my old PDA, and tried several of the numbers to pull emails and surf - testing to make sure everything was working like I expected.

Lucky for me, I checked my usage the next day. I ended up with 35 minutes of "CASUAL USE PCS WIRELESS WEB MINUTES". I called Sprint, very upset, and was passed around to several people before I got an answer that made sense. I found that I did indeed have unlimited Vision Web, but I was not using it. By dialing an Earthlink number, I was not going through Vision, but bypassing it. I was using my Treo as a wireless modem - covered in the user manual as a no-no. I've since deleted all the "service" setups and left just Sprint - no more "casual use" minutes/fees.

So, I haven't looked into PT streaming, but it sounds like their access to it was not going through Vision, therefore subject to extra fees. Ouch.
    "Attitudes are contagious... Is YOURS worth catching?"
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

This is NOT abusing the system! All the TOS says is that you can't use the phone as a modem attached to another device. In this case the user was using data on the phone itself and thus technically is not "abusing the system" at all. This is pure and simple another case of Sprint ****ing up period...
    I may be a complete *****, but you try to figure out how you could stream a month's worth of tunes for $2400. Sounds to me more like using the old Sprint account as an ISP sunstitute for multi-gig downloads.
    How can Sprint charge you for causal internet usage to stream through P-Tunes when you do it through Vision?

I can see if you use it through another service ... but if you use Vision, I would have to say that it's covered under the TOS. After all, you aren't using your phone as a modem to another service provider.

Something smells fishy here.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    sounds more like he hooked it up to a computer and was downloading movies for $2500....
    You'd be surprised. I "pay as you go" on vision at 1c per kb. Very limited email checking where I usually download the headers only comes to approx $5 a month. I shudder to think what a month of streaming audio would be.
    Click for Free iPod Nano or better. - really works!
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Magohn

You'd be surprised. I "pay as you go" on vision at 1c per kb. Very limited email checking where I usually download the headers only comes to approx $5 a month. I shudder to think what a month of streaming audio would be.
    If you stream at 24 kbps, that's 3 KB/s, or 3 cents/s (assuming you meant 1c per kiloBYTE, which i think is the pay-as-you-go rate). This works out to $108 per hour. So it is possible to rack up a bill of $2400. Course the T600's battery (on Sprint) will only let you burn around $300 or so on a single charge .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast