Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I also ran into high charges related to audio streaming, and my voice service was hotlined (turned off). Numerous conversations with support services and Vision support all produced a clear understanding of the situation (wrong codes entered on my account instead of unlimited Vision), but no supervisor could issue an $8,205 credit! Finally after a week I reached someone in "account verification" (where your voice calls go when your phone service is cut off) by just pressing invalid digits, and that person immediately acknowledged that my plan included unlimited data service and set things right in about 20 minutes.

The Treo 600 is an amazing, leading edge device that does more than the marketers and carriers thought it could. People reading Treo Central are for the most part technically oriented and early adopters. We are going to stretch the envelope just by our nature and our interests, and we should expect some glitches now and then. I'm inclined to cut Sprint some slack here - support tried to fix, called back when they ran into roadblocks, were always polite and kept me informed.

Incidentally the account verification music on hold is much nicer - songs with actual words!
    Originally posted by dougblair
    I also ran into high charges related to audio streaming, and my voice service was hotlined (turned off). Numerous conversations with support services and Vision support all produced a clear understanding of the situation (wrong codes entered on my account instead of unlimited Vision), but no supervisor could issue an $8,205 credit! Finally after a week I reached someone in "account verification" (where your voice calls go when your phone service is cut off) by just pressing invalid digits, and that person immediately acknowledged that my plan included unlimited data service and set things right in about 20 minutes.
    Ouch. $8,000? How big was that paper bill?

So, did you get the credit?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by dougblair
    I also ran into high charges related to audio streaming, and my voice service was hotlined (turned off).
    Did they clarify to your satisfaction that audio streaming was ok and within their Terms of Service? Which service plan are you on?

I can't get anyone at Sprint to say one way or the other re: audio streaming...
    I think this is the most relevant part of the Sprint agreement for the current discussion (bold added by me).

--------------------------------------

Other Terms Applicable to PCS Vision Usage. Use of PCS Vision wireless services requires the purchase of a separate third generation wireless compatible phone or other device and is subject to any software, memory, storage or other limitation in the phone or other equipment. Not all applications and services work, or work the same, on all third generation wireless phones and devices. Check the materials accompanying your phone or device to determine which applications and services it will support. PCS Vision wireless services are not available while off the PCS Vision network. PCS Vision services are not available for server devices or host computer applications, other systems that drive continuous heavy traffic or data sessions, or as substitutes for private lines or frame relay connections. Unlimited PCS Vision plans/options are only available with phones or PCS smart phones where the device is not being used as a modem in connection with other equipment (e.g., computers, PDAs, etc.) through use of connection kits or other phone-to-computer/PDA accessories, or Bluetooth or other wireless technology. Sprint reserves the right to deny or to terminate service without notice for any misuse. Sprint is not responsible for any opinions, advice, statements, services applications or other information provided by third parties and accessible through PCS Vision wireless services. Neither Sprint nor its vendors or licensors guarantees the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of information that is obtained through the PCS Vision wireless services. You are responsible for evaluating such content. Use of certain PCS Vision wireless services, including some messaging services, may result in the disclosure to others of your email address and other information about you in connection with your internet usage. Your accessing of, or use of, third party sites or services accessible PCS Vision wireless services may require the disclosure of information about you, subject to the policies of those sites and services. You consent to receiving advertising, warnings, alerts and other messages, including broadcast messages. Your access to PCS Vision wireless services is controlled by a password.

----------------------

I bet a good argument can be made for saying that pTunes drives
    a continuous heavy traffic or data session.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by arognlie
    I bet a good argument can be made for saying that pTunes drives a continuous heavy traffic or data session.
    No, Pocket Tunes receives traffic. It doesn't drive anything. If you tried to run a Shoutcast server on your 600, then you'd be in direct violation of the aforementioned terms. But streaming audio is not covered. However, Sprint has left a door open that clearly allows them to decide arbitrarily what they will allow and what they won't. Which is certainly their prerogative.
    i'm scared to use pocket tunes
    Ok. Sprint will nail you if you stream audio. Certainly they have a limit that they search for? There are kb trackers for the treo right?

Why can't we just find out from Sprint what the 'trigger' is - i.e. at what point of data useage do the 'penalize you' by turning off your service or charging you more or whatever.

Let's say its 300 mb per month. (just guessing)

Then I would just use pocket tunes and keep track of how much I've used and stop at 280 mb, until next billing cycle comes along.

Of course I doubt that anyone at Sprint will voluntarily give up this information.
    I just called and was told this by a sprint rep.

So how can I monitor kb useage? Is there a program that does it?

Merry Christmas
    Originally posted by darnell
    I think Sprint has put themselves in a corner. They offer unlimited data usage for a flat rate. Handspring offers a program that encorages you to upgrade to the Deluxe version. The Deluxe version allows streaming. Sprint and Handspring have introduced the consumer to a product that offers streaming services and a means to stream with no limits.

If all this person did was stream with Pocket Tunes I think they are in the right and Sprint should lay off them. If not they should sue the pants off Sprint and I think they would win. I'm no lawyer though.

Given the size of the bill though it leads one to think this person may have been doing more. But if they know all they did was use Pocket Tunes to stream music I think they should stick to their guns.
    Strangely enough, Handspring also links to PdaNet, http://www.handspring.com/software/wireless.jhtml, while usage of the Treo as a wireless modem is strictly prohibited by the Sprint TOS...
    You've gotta take the comma off of the URL in my post above to make it work.
    Hi... I did settle up the bill and the $8,205 is being credited correctly. A Sprint rep confirmed in writing (well, email) that I can use the Treo 600's data capabilities as much as I wish as long as it is not connected in any way to another computer, and yes, all I did was listen to the BBC and public radio stations at night because the Chicago NPR station plays music instead of news.

BUT most people are not going to listen to streaming music on a Treo. The available bandwidth on a wireless phone connection just isn't enough for a serious music lover. People who want the Treo for music are much more likely to download mp3's and play them from their SD card than stream them. The streaming does work pretty well for spoken word, though.

I'm only going to do this until there's an SD wi-fi solution for T600. In the meantime, 2.21 gigabytes have come out of this tiny little speaker!

Doug
    Originally posted by coreysapp
    So how can I monitor kb useage? Is there a program that does it?
    I don't know about a program, however, if you dial ##786 it gives you the "life data (kilobytes)". I guess that is one way of keeping track of it.

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Wow, I just checked my account online and it says I have used 16 casual web minutes. What the heck is that?

Al
    Something is not right. I have a data card myself and also have the treo. I stream PocketTunes for hours and hours for many days of the month and have done for many months with no problems. I don't use my Treo as a modem and bought PocketTunes over the air through Vision. I have unlimited Vision since my first day with and have had Internet on my phone since the days of wireless web. If Sprint charged me a penny in overage uses I would sure raise hell but the original story of getting charged for streaming PocketTunes sounds fishy. If anything Sprint doesn't specify streaming radio or video as an exception to their service whereas Verizon clearly prohibits it and specifies it with their national and broadband access service. Something is just not right or we're not hearing the whole story.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    I think Sprint has put themselves in a corner. They offer unlimited data usage for a flat rate. Handspring offers a program that encorages you to upgrade to the Deluxe version. The Deluxe version allows streaming. Sprint and Handspring have introduced the consumer to a product that offers streaming services and a means to stream with no limits.

If all this person did was stream with Pocket Tunes I think they are in the right and Sprint should lay off them. If not they should sue the pants off Sprint and I think they would win. I'm no lawyer though.

Given the size of the bill though it leads one to think this person may have been doing more. But if they know all they did was use Pocket Tunes to stream music I think they should stick to their guns.
    What irks me is this: Sprint sells pTunes Deluxe! Check out their content catalog. Here's their description of it:

Pocket Tunes turns your Palm OS 5 device into a portable audio player! Play compressed audio files (MP3, WMA, or Ogg Vorbis) or uncompressed WAV files from a flash memory card or stream MP3 live over your wireless Internet connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by xchpstang
    Something is just not right or we're not hearing the whole story.
    This thread did start 1 1/2 years ago.....if it was still an issue, there would be more recent complaints.
    I'm back!
    Yea this is very old. And I think it may have been a very isolated case. Because these days I stream for hours every day and never got any complaints from Sprint.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123