Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Goldurnit, why do we keep going through this? Sprint charges PPC users $15/mo more than Palm OS and other Vision users because the PPC is built with multimedia applications. Sprint reasonably expects people with multimedia applications on their Vision device to use more bandwidth than those without, hence the additional charges. I think the same might be said for those who use Vision with a modem for their laptop. Isn't the going rate $99/mo for such a setup? The Treo 600 has no multimedia (streaming, at least) in its basic form. This is probably no accident, as HS/Palm1 will sell more units if data costs $10-15/mo instead of $25-30 on Sprint. So when people start loading up and utilizing applications on their Treo 600s that use lots of kb (modem and streaming media software) Sprint wants to charge for the bandwidth. Now while $2400 is a little steep, it would be difficult to argue in good conscience with an additional $15 or even $99. Sprint has told us that the Vision we (Treo 600 users) get for $10-15/mo is not of the same variety that multimedia downloaders ($30/mo) and modem users ($99/mo) get. It is not unlimited. Get over it.

If you want to be a literalist and look for loopholes in Sprint's TOS, go ahead. But before you try deciphering the fine print, read the bold print and try to see what it is telling you. And yeah, I'm grandfathered in under the $10 unlimited plan also, but I'm not trying to replace my home DSL line with it.

OK, got that off my chest...flame away!
    Well, as someone who was once charged for a 10 hour roaming data call -- on a phone with a 1.5 hour battery -- for something like $400, forgive me if I don't see Sprint's side of this. They literally billed me for some like 20 times the correct amount. I requested to activate the arbitration clause of my user agreement and they backed down. (Costs Sprint far more than that to use an arbitrator).
    Originally posted by dstrauss
    That's why they say "Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered." I just don't understand why people get so upset when they get caught abusing the system.
    How about people that get fat eating slaughtered hogs

All joking aside, I don't know the details of the Sprint agreement since I'm a Tmobile customer, but my sympathies are deffinetly with the user, 'NOT' Sprint.
    No good deed goes unpunished
    9 years ago unlimited dialup meant "unlimited access". Small mom and pop isp's overbooked their phone lines 10:1.

Perhaps sprint has oversold it's network such that if everyone used data continuously average joe wouldn't be able to make a voice call due to overloaded towers.
    David
    Originally posted by dstrauss

I may be a complete *****, but you try to figure out how you could stream a month's worth of tunes for $2400. Sounds to me more like using the old Sprint account as an ISP sunstitute for multi-gig downloads.
    Actually, I've not been using the treo as an ISP, but I've easily still averaged more than 80 MB per month with casual use so far...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    we've been over this some hundred *** times. The reason unlimited is unlimited with fine print is because if you want to use it as a modem, they have that as a separate service.

they can't say "unlimited" in the full sense of the word because they know literally you could just take full priviledge of the bandwidth downloading and hosting kaazaa crap with you laptop in some dark ally. Get a freakin' dsl or cable connection for that, dorks.

whiners.......this is such hackish news......

BLAH...

(yes, i'm eating my words....OU lost...but they still get to dance in the bayou)
    I'm glad I ran into this thread. I didn't know the TOS said that it can't be connected to another device like a laptop.

Aside from the MB usage, how can they tell this?

Get a freakin' dsl or cable connection for that, dorks.
    I disagree with this statement though. I have DSL at home, but when I need to travel and use my laptop at one of the hotels, I rather NOT pay for the $10 / 24hr high-speed access or if they don't even have that, I rather be on Sprint's faster Vision network AND not pay the per use and/or per minute charge.

Granted, travelling doesn't happen very often, but I'm just wondering wtf is the actual MB cap per month before the alarms go off.
    Nothing is impossible, just mathematically improbable.

-Entrapment(Sean Connery)
    there are lots of people using pdanet casually with no problems.

i am sure that it is a MB/period of time flag that sprint investigates.

i think if you used pdanet occasionally to check mail that sprint would never say a word. but if you cut your dsl line and used your treo instead, that really is abusing the service and anyone doing that should face the consequence.

on the streaming, its hard to say. my common sense says that if you did do it all day, it looks to sprint like you're not using the phone for data but something else. i would guess streaming audio conservatively would be no problem.
    the truth of the matter is that sprint has NOTHING in their TOS that says u cannot stream audio from your phone. this is perfectly allowable and so is ANY other usage of the data coming to your ON your phone. now, it does say you are not allowed to use your phone as a connection for your laptop without paying for the connection kit plans. so, to all of those saying vision usage on the phone is limited u are dead wrong. now, for ppc users vision is more expensive because of increased media capabilities but the 15/m plan still allows u to do this if the software u download allows u to do it.
    in addition, we are all getting up in arms about ONE guy. he could easily have been using his treo as a modem or connecting through another isp by mistake. in addition, sprint might have accidently flagged him 4 it in which case he should call sprint and tell him he was streaming music which is allowed as he was doing it directly from his device. sprint is really not that bad if u just talk to them.
    So after reading this thread... I think I misunderstood something. I thought that there was unlimited bandwidth, but your phone minutes are used when you're on the vision services (web/email)

Am I misunderstanding this? are there no minutes charged when you're using the vision web services?

Thanks!
    -Josh
    Originally posted by joshcali
    So after reading this thread... I think I misunderstood something. I thought that there was unlimited bandwidth, but your phone minutes are used when you're on the vision services (web/email)

Am I misunderstanding this? are there no minutes charged when you're using the vision web services?

Thanks!
    -Josh
    If you have Vision, you do not use your minutes when you check email, browse, stream, etc. Vision is for data and PCS is for voice.

Hope that helps ... Tom
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    My phone was shut down this morning... after going through 3 reps I found I had a 900$ plus balance, obviously due to audio streaming.

They said something about having alot of these problems, reactivated my phone and gave me a job ticket number and will be going in to delete those charges from my account. Hopefully that deletion will go through.

My questions now:

1. Is Ptunes audio streaming going to incur data charges ongoing ... is it considered a '3rd party' device like using the phone as a modem?

2. Anyone else getting charged like this for audio streaming?

Till I know I'm safe I am discontinuing Ptunes and audio streaming. I may be calling Sprint again to talk about this issue more, like when I have a free 10 hour block of time given their long waits and switching reps around on a caller.
    I'm not a Sprint customer. Could someone kindly pdf the actual contract and post it, with the relevant link to it in this thread? TIA.
    I had a similar problem...

The summary is that I had $10/mo unlimited Vision (data) after a 3 month free trial. I was told the VISION would continue until I cancelled it.

I then started getting $300/mo + bills. I caught it and called in. And called, and called and called. I emailed 3 times...never a response. When I called, I was told any number of things." No such plan was ever offered, but I could add it now for 15/mo", "no record of ever having it", and just the usual BS.

Turns out that the SPRINT csr's didn''t give a rats *** and wouldn't investigate what happened. They just continually spew out the same lines they read on scripts. At least these days, they are polite. Before they were rude and incompetent.

I finally got a supervisor after I called to cancel the phone, then an investigation was done and uncovered that somehow the billing system "lost" the fact that I was on VISION $10/mo plan. My account clearly showed it was added.

I was credited my overcharges.

Lessons learned....Never give up and keep calling unitil you get IQ's on the other end that exceed room temperature.

my .02
    I had a similar problem in the early days of Vision. My Samsung phone had web browsing for an unlimited rate per month, no minutes used. When I got one bill (when I was travelling) I saw a bunch of minute charges for "Wireless Web services." I called up Sprint, and after transferring around the system, I got an intelligent individual that told me their network was in the process of getting upgraded, and that certain areas still connected to the web via phone minutes, and they were billed like voice calls. He credited the account for the minutes, and gave me free voice command for 3 months for the inconvenience.
    Originally posted by tjd414
    If you have Vision, you do not use your minutes when you check email, browse, stream, etc. Vision is for data and PCS is for voice.

Hope that helps ... Tom
    I'm a new Sprint customer and could use some help with Sprint's definitions.

e-mail, browsing, streaming, etc. all draw x number of bytes and/or use bandwidth in the retrieval process. To me, data is defined by drawing bytes or using bandwidth. How is this accounted for by Sprint, if not under Vision? And if not, then what is the proper definition of data and where IS it accounted for? Perhaps it isn't, in that this is what the term unlimited means.

All the CSR's I've talked to (of course reading from the Treo 600 script) say that my $15/mo unlimited data counts against upto 1/2 of my anytime/voice minutes. I take this to mean that the amout of time I am drawing data is counted against those minutes, but the amount of data or bytes count is not. If it isn't this way, then why would it even be mentioned? (Oh, I forgot, CSR intelligence quotient.)

They haven't sent me my contract yet, so I don't have it in writing. Anyone know where these contract terms are hidden on the web?
    Originally posted by Blue Merlin
    I'm a new Sprint customer and could use some help with Sprint's definitions.

e-mail, browsing, streaming, etc. all draw x number of bytes and/or use bandwidth in the retrieval process. To me, data is defined by drawing bytes or using bandwidth. How is this accounted for by Sprint, if not under Vision? And if not, then what is the proper definition of data and where IS it accounted for? Perhaps it isn't, in that this is what the term unlimited means.

All the CSR's I've talked to (of course reading from the Treo 600 script) say that my $15/mo unlimited data counts against upto 1/2 of my anytime/voice minutes. I take this to mean that the amout of time I am drawing data is counted against those minutes, but the amount of data or bytes count is not. If it isn't this way, then why would it even be mentioned? (Oh, I forgot, CSR intelligence quotient.)

They haven't sent me my contract yet, so I don't have it in writing. Anyone know where these contract terms are hidden on the web?
    If you're accessing data through Sprint's connection (as opposed to calling a dialup number to an ISP, etc.), you're using Vision and it's "unlimited". Vision (i.e. data) use has nothing to do with your voice minutes.
    [i]All the CSR's I've talked to (of course reading from the Treo 600 script) say that my $15/mo unlimited data counts against upto 1/2 of my anytime/voice minutes.
    Yikes! Where do they train these folks! I have no doubt that you were told something so insane (though real sounding with the "up to half of your minutes" kind of details).

Just amazing. No wonder we can't get a straight answer on the true meaning of "unlimited" when they don't even have the basics of "vision doesn't use your airtime...not 50%, no 10%...nada" down straight.

Too funny.
    While I have found many Sprint PCS CSRs to be mroe polite than they used to be (many but not all)... I continue to have Twilight Zone experiences like that where you KNOW what they are telling you is flat out wrong... and when you question them on it, they insist they are correct.

I ask for their name and ID #, ask to talk with a superviser... and when I am proven correct... I insist they comp me for the incorrect info and bad customer service.

These dopes MUST be held accountable, it is the only way to get them to improve.

We DESERVE nothing less than correct answers and good customer service.

INSIST on it.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast