1.    #1  
    Went to Best Buy on Tuesday to "look around"..saw the Treo 600 and couldn't resist as I had been eyeing it for awhile just never saw it in person. I walked out w/ the my new Treo for $399. The Sprint rep there said my number port would be complete by Saturday morning so I am anxiously awaiting. She also said that I should be able to make calls from my Sprint phone during the process but I would not be able to receive calls. I still cannot make outbound calls and the Sprint CSR's seem clueless as to what I was talking about when I called. All they said was that the port was in progress and I would not be able to use the service until then. Should I be able to make outgoing calls on my Sprint phone before the port is complete? If so, why am I not able to do this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Originally posted by BGRO
    Went to Best Buy on Tuesday to "look around"..saw the Treo 600 and couldn't resist as I had been eyeing it for awhile just never saw it in person. I walked out w/ the my new Treo for $399. The Sprint rep there said my number port would be complete by Saturday morning so I am anxiously awaiting. She also said that I should be able to make calls from my Sprint phone during the process but I would not be able to receive calls. I still cannot make outbound calls and the Sprint CSR's seem clueless as to what I was talking about when I called. All they said was that the port was in progress and I would not be able to use the service until then. Should I be able to make outgoing calls on my Sprint phone before the port is complete? If so, why am I not able to do this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    I think you will have to wait until your number is ported and Sprint has it assigned to your ESN (listed on the back of the phone).

Without this being done, I don't see how you could either send or receive calls. Go to a Sprint Store and see if they can help you out. My local one has been very helpful.

Tom
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    tjd414 is right, there's no way to use the Sprint phone until your number is ported sucessfully.

Sounds like typical Best Buy sales expertise. I did the same thing you did, bought a T600 from them last Monday, it took me two hours to get out of the store because the sales person had NO experience activating phones. To top it off, when I got home that night and started programming contacts I found a bunch of calls in the call log from weeks before I pruchased the phone - IT WAS A USED PHONE. They didn't even have the coommon sense to do a hard reset before they put it back on the shelf. Needless too say I returned it and now have a brand new one. Good deal at Best Buy, but bad experience.

I should also say that I switched from T-Mobile and so far I'm a lot happpier with the Sprint's reception (LA / San Fernando Valley area).
    My wife and I are switching to Sprint from Cingular at the end of the week. I'm getting a Treo, she's getting a flip phone. I see that BB has the Treo for about $50 cheaper than the Sprint Store but I'm worried about the expertise, or lack thereof, at BB - Especially after reading the above posts. I'm not particularly good at, or patient with, setting up a phone that isn't working right. Is the $50 saved at BB worth the hassel?

Also, I'm wondering about insurance for the Treo. I know that I can get the ins. w/ the $35 deductabe from Sprint but BB was trying to sell me on some kind of service plan that they have. I didn't really understand what he was talking about, and I don't really think he did either!

Any thoughts? Thanks!
    definitely go with BB over Sprint for the hardware purchase. BB's extended warranty is nice, and if the T600 is not available in the future they will give you a new equivalent.

The only reason I can see to go for Sprint's insurance/deductible is that they will cover theft.

You should be able to get a Sprint rebate as well for new activation.
    Originally posted by kkest
    ...I see that BB has the Treo for about $50 cheaper than the Sprint Store but I'm worried about the expertise, or lack thereof, at BB - Especially after reading the above posts.

...I know that I can get the ins. w/ the $35 deductible from Sprint but BB was trying to sell me on some kind of service plan that they have.
    I went through the same thing at Best Buy last night. One Best Buy rep and one Sprint rep and both were busy with another sale when I got there. When I did get helped, I had to constantly repeat myself as far as the plan I wanted and how I wanted the account set up (transfer of phone numbers etc.) and repeating personal information. They really should have a checklist or some paperwork to write this stuff down.

They tried to sell me the BB service plan also, and when I said I'd rather opt for Sprints insurance coverage they fed me some line that if the phone gets damaged and needs to be replaced Sprint may have to replace it with a Treo 300 or a used phone. What? Is that even legal? OK a refurbished T600 I can maybe understand, but a 300? When I heard this I felt like they were just handing me a line to try to pressure me to sign up for the BB coverage which really made me skeptical so I was even more convinced I should turn it down. Resorting to used car salesman tactics now? (with apologies to any legit used car sales-folks out there)

The only difficulty the Sprint rep had setting up the phone was getting through to a sprint technician on the set up call. I guess they are busy this time of year.

The whole experience took about 1.5 hours and was a little frustrating. But if it saved me $50, I can put up with their shenanigans.

HTH & good luck.

ps - I forgot to mention this was my second trip there, I had to come back since they were out of stock on Saturday. The BB rep was supposed to call me Monday to let me know if they got some in. I ended up having to call him.
  7.    #7  
    here is an update of my situation (it was originally my reply to an email by a member of this forum)

From start to finish it took exactly one week...and i found out that you
    should be able to MAKE phone calls once your phone is activated but you will
    not receive them until the port is completely finished. Initially, Sprint's
    website was showing an estimated completion date of 12/5 (bought the phone
    12/2). I woke up that morning and port still wasn't complete. I called
    Sprint again and it turns out they did not have my account # from Verizon.
    I gave them that information and they sd it should be complete in about 24
    hours. Well, within a few hours I was able to make phone calls but the
    Sprint website said my port would be complete by 12/8 at 2:45 PM. Sure
    enough, come 12/8 2:45 PM everything was done and now I am able to make and
    receive phone calls. Now if I can only get Vision to work. That's my next
    "project" with Sprint. The best advice I can give you is to make sure that
    Sprint has the following:

- your name and address
    exactly as they appear on your account w/ your former carrier
    - your password on your
    account w/ your former carrier
    - your account number
    from your account w/ your former carrier (again, it wasn't until the first
    completion date came and went
    that they asked me
    for this)
    Definetly call them and make sure that they have all of this information
    then just wait until your completion date. Everything should go through
    fine. I was real skeptical also but once they had everything it went smooth
    So what is the difference between BB's "warranty" and Sprint's insurance plan? I think I'm most worried about the phone being dropped or lost/stolen than I am it not working (I presume a manufacture warratny of a year, right?) - and besides, won't Sprint replace a Treo600 w/ another Treo600 with the insurance? Thanks for all the help.