1. jah
    I have a Treo 600 and I want to take it with me to the UK on an upcoming trip. Maybe I should have bought the GSM version, so I could switch SIM chips. But I have the CDMA Sprint version. I'm going to call them tomorrow to ask about this kind of service. I just wanted to see if anyone has had any experience using their Spring Treo 180/270/300/600 outside of North America?

Now that I have this thing I can't imagine not having it for as long as I'll be travelling!
    You are out of luck. I have a 300, and it will not work outside of the US. I travel to Europe 4-5 times a year, and I have been getting by with Sprint's International Plan. Basically they give you a SIM card that, when you have your US-based phone turned off, will ring with the same number on a GSM phone. The GSM services that it provides are minimal, i.e. no caller id, no SMS, no GPRS. It works well in that people don't have to call a different number for you, but you only get phone service. Its also pretty pricey, but not out of line with any other carriers International service (think $1.25-$1.75 a minute for all connect time, whether making or receiving calls).

Since I have become addicted to always-on, anywhere internet access, I am switching to a GSM Treo 600 (as soon as T-Mobile is available). I have no issues with the Sprint network, coverage, etc., and would have no problem using a Sprint Treo 600, except that I want it to work overseas. When I travel overseas now, I have my 300 for use as a PDA, and a separate phone.
    I too have a Sprint Treo 600 and am planning some international travel next month.

I know that there are "rent a phone" services in other countries, often at the airport.

What would be a solution one could use BEFORE you leave? Could one "rent" a GSM Treo 600 here in the US before going?

If so, what would be the added service charge of the Sprint "number forwarding" service to that new device.

Thanks,
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com