Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I've had Sprint form many years and have no complaints. I dont call customer service, no need to. Service works great for me, I have a decent price, so no issues. All I can say is if you don't like Sprint, then go to another Carrier and quit complaining.
    for those of you who have had little or no trouble with sprint customer service, i invite you to call them and find out when SMS will be available on sprint.
    I'm with the constituency that avoids calling Sprint whenever possible to minimize CS problems. Granted, some CSRs are just rude, arrogant, presumptuous, etc., and there's no excuse for that. It's just that I worked my fair share of McJobs back in the day, and in my experience employers get the service they pay for. Pay someone minimum wage and expect minimum service.

One of those McJobs was working in a call center, which is one notch below working in a copper mine. Basically you're trained to take calls for up to a dozen different companies at a time. You might get a call for Company A, then B, then D, then A again, then D -- and at all times you're supposed to act as if the customer is speaking directly to the company. A training session might cover 3 or 4 client companies in a 1-to-2-hour meeting. Now try to imagine how any call center employee is supposed to have any depth of knowledge under these conditions.

I was "promoted" to a dedicated account that involved tech support for a product sold in the likes of Best Buy and Circuit City. No more multiple accounts! Unfortunately for customers, there were exactly two employees in the country working in tech support for this product at any one time, and I was one of them. A short hold time was 12 minutes; the average was half an hour. Our training was skimpy at best (no printed documentation), and customers had no other contact information for the company but the single customer support phone number on the box.

Now on the rare occasions when I'm forced to call a company, I generally assume that (1) the staff is probably outsourced -- often overseas, (2) their training is minimal, and (3) they're usually dealing with more products and services that they could possibly have substantial knowledge about or interest in.

For all the lip service paid to whatever total quality buzzword is in vogue this week, most companies these days devote most of their resources to product development, sales and marketing, not customer service; that's usually outsourced as an intentional buffer between management and the general public.

Just my $.02
    for those of you who have had little or no trouble with sprint customer service, i invite you to call them and find out when SMS will be available on sprint.

Unfortunately there are only so many ways to tell a customer "I don't know because they won't tell me" that won't get you fired (hint: the answer is somewhere in the range of zero). On the tech support account I mentioned, there were many times where customers would demand access to company management. For instance, people would ask when they would get their rebates. Until someone from the actual company deigned to talk to us, we could only respond that we would contact management and get back to them. We could not give them contact information for anyone but us. No executive wants to be bothered.

If no one can figure out when SMS will be available through Sprint, it's because no one who matters at Sprint wants to commit to a date, and whether the reasons or tactical, technical or otherwise is irrelevant. CSRs can only give you the information they're (not) given; they can't cross examine their employers.
    If you are sick of it, file a complaint. It is the only way to force change. Last year Verizon had around 200 complaints to the better business bureau, Sprint had around 5,000.

Here is a link to let your voice be heard :

Complain to the FTC
    you can add me to the list of people with no sprint problems whatsoever and i for one have dealt pretty extensively between setting up my 6035, canceling my contract that i mistakingly set up, getting my unlock code, cancelling service (took phone to verizon), restarting service (after trading 6035 for t300), switching to usaa/sprint member, repeatedly switching plans and moving to the t600. They have always been nice and courteous to me. Knowledgable about the NETWORK although i never asked for help with phone issues.

BTW, i think we should keep in mind that as treo users we occupy a special niche in sprints user base. our phone is an elite model and as such many of its functions are far more complex than other phones. for this reason it is difficult for a CSR to give good advice about our phone (thats what this forum is for). In addition, Sprint and ATTWS have the two largest user bases of all wireless providers (sprint having more treo users because of vision pricing) and as with any wireless company, CSRs are often dealing with customers who dont even know sms from voicemail so a high speed treo user will often catch them off guard. it is therefore not surprising that their complaint numbers are higher and that there is no absence of people on this board with bad opinions. Just look at the poll on the home page, over 50% of treocentral users are with Sprint. Its just human nature to comment when its bad and shut up when its good.
    funny, not a single one of the people who are supporting sprint customer service has called sprint to ask about SMS.

really, if you think they are not so bad, just give them a call and ask when SMS will be available.

i did just that before i bought a treo 600. they told me september. they lied to me. they continue to lie to me.

so please, anyone listed above, call sprint and tell us your actual experience, and of course the answer to the question: when will SMS be working?
    They can't tell you because they don't know. You can accuse the CSRs of lying to you, but their answers at best can only reflect the accuracy of the information they're given. All they can give you is what they think the release date will be, or what they're told the release date will be. The best CSRs in the world can't read the minds of decisionmakers at Sprint

If your definition of customer service extends to the executives who actually decide when (if) SMS will be available, then I agree that Sprint's CS is horrible. But if Sprint management actually wanted the public to have a genuine release date, it would be on their website. Think about it. Why would they even want to have hordes of customers call when it would be much easier and cheaper to publish the information online or on printed correspondence to customers? Why not just make a promotional announcement?

Answer: they don't have a real date. I repeat: there is no date for SMS. That's why I bought Treo600SMS, and Sprint's delays and non-information have vindicated that decision.
    Originally posted by Gameboy70
    ...But if Sprint management actually wanted the public to have a genuine release date, it would be on their website.
    Answer: they don't have a real date. I repeat: there is no date for SMS. That's why I bought Treo600SMS, and Sprint's delays and non-information have vindicated that decision.
    Well... I don't know about you, but when I sign in at sprintpcs.com, then go to text messaging, I see this:

After January 4, when someone sends you a text message (a One-Way Message or a Short Mail), you must use your Sprint Phone to view it (you won't be able to view it here on this website). Of course, you can continue to compose and send text messages from this website or from your Sprint Phone (some older phones cannot send messages).

So, if that's not on their web site, then I don't know what is.

- Mike
    here, here!
    all that says is that you won't be able to read messages on the site. it doesn't say you will be able to send from your phone (although it implies it) thus we are definitely getting closer but sprint won't give you anything official until they are absolutely sure. you people keep trying to push for an exact date until the csr finally gives an estimate and then you seem to want to **** and moan like children when it doesn't happen. an estimate is by nature subject to change. quit *****ing about it.
    i called sprint twice before i bought the treo 600 and asked if they would have SMS. they both told me yes, in fact they both told me nov. 17th. i wasn't pushing then, i was asking so that i could make an informed decision. they told me they would have it "on or before nov. 17". that's what they both said. the word "estimate" was never uttered. this made it possible for me to take advantage of sprints cheaper data rates and use my phone as a tool for work. with this knowledge, i got the phone and a data plan.

and now, still no SMS.

i don't want to hear anymore about how the customer service people are trying their best, and i shouldn't ever be angry with them...they ARE sprint. as far as most of us will ever know those people are the face of the company, and indeed they are who we deal with when we speak to the company. if they are rude, nice, know what's happening, or not, they are all representing sprint.

of course i'm not personally angry at the individual who takes my call, or doesn't know the answer to my questions. that would be absurd. but to pretend that poor service and answers are the problem of management, and that the reps are doing the best they can so we should just all be nice to them is missing the point. part of their job is to deal with those of us who have not had their questions answered correctly. if they make something up, then of course i'm going to be angry and complain....what do you suggest? just take it? just wait around peacefully till it happens to get done? the only way, as many of us here know, is to pound away till we get someone who can answer our question and/or help us.

i'd be happy to hear other suggestions, but just being nice to them because they are ignorant and hoping for the best is not a solution.
    I agree, that's a ****ty deal and you shouldn't just take it, you should complain that you were not informed that it wasn't a definite date. perhaps our experiences are just different.
    just for future reference, to make my life easier I never base my decisions on what technology companies believe they will have in the future.
    Why all the fuss on sms anyway? Did you get a Treo 600 just becasue of SMS? If so, wrong decision. There are plenty of other things that the Treo600 doesn't do, that may be considered basic phone functions, but I bought the device for its overall capability, pda/phone capability, etc. SMS doesn't rank high on my list. Have you tried getting a refund for your T600?
    what exactly doesn't the treo 600 do that is considered a phone function? and by the way, the treo does SMS just fine, it's sprint that has the problem.

SMS may not be high on your list, but for many other people it is...in fact, that's why every other carrier can do SMS, and has been for years.

to answer your question; no, a refund isn't possible as it doesn't solve my problem; SMS working, now, would.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    On the subject of Treo600SMS, how will we uninstall it once we don't need it?

Originally posted by MikeRadio

Did Sprint SMS start?

I cant tell because I am using Treo600SMS right now.
    I also don't have a problem with Sprint and have been a customer with 2 phones for the last 2 years. I think I've called CS maybe 3 times, all were to switch new phones that I bought and never had a bad experience, actually the CS Rep searched and searched for over 30 mins to get me a 20% discount on my bill and went out of her way to help me when she didn't have to. Maybe CS is so bad because they have jerks calling them up all day long and every day asking the same dumb a$$ questions like: "when is SMS going to be coming?" If you payed attention it says you will receive a message when it's up!
    facci, i understand that the three times you've had to call sprint they have been able to help you. i'm glad they were able to help you switch to a new phone.

some of us have to deal with sprint in order for our companies to run, and in doing so we run into problems. sometimes consistant problems. these forums help us to understand those problems and see what others experiances have been. that allows us to understand how best to proceed.

clearly you have not read the previous posts, or if you have then you must be...how does one say..."special". please, kindly keep personal attacks to yourself.
    Originally posted by petersachon
    facci, i understand that the three times you've had to call sprint they have been able to help you. i'm glad they were able to help you switch to a new phone.

some of us have to deal with sprint in order for our companies to run, and in doing so we run into problems. sometimes consistant problems. these forums help us to understand those problems and see what others experiances have been. that allows us to understand how best to proceed.

clearly you have not read the previous posts, or if you have then you must be...how does one say..."special". please, kindly keep personal attacks to yourself.
    First off, you want me to "kindly keep personal attacks to yourself" but yet call me "special" I think you should take your own advice, buddy.

Next, I get tired of people saying over and over again, "why don't you people trying calling CS and ask them when SMS will be out" Not only do you sound like a broken record but you sound like a....how does one say... "CRY BABY!" I get so tired of the same threads and for the most part the same people getting on these boards and b****ing about this and that. These boards are here to help people not just b****.

You have the choice to leave Sprint if you don't like them, that is your God given right.

If you want SMS either leave Sprint for another carrier or just sit and wait patiently like everyone else here is doing. I would love to SMS too but, calling up Sprint everyday and harrassing the Reps(who don't have anything to do with it) is not going to get it any faster, it is just causing people who have real problems or needs to wait longer to talk to a Rep.

Some of these Reps at Sprint are the same ones you would have talked to if you called Verizon 3 weeks ago. Some of them jump from carrier to carrier.

p.s. - NO MORE PERSONAL ATTACKS PLEASE!
    wow, thanks for proving my point about what it means to be "special" with such eloquence. gosh, you really showed me!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast