1.    #1  
    Its been an entire week since i've first started to try to activate my phone. I recieved my phone from Handspring (after a month wait) on nov 17th., waited 6 grueling days till the 24th so I can get my Cingular number ported over to Sprint. Ok the 24h rolls around and I call Sprint at 11am, I get this lady who doesn't seem to understand english very well, hard of hearing and seems to be her first day at the job. After an hour and a half of repeating everything I say to her and correcting her over and over I finally get my phone activated and she says 10 hours and my number will be ported over and everything will be ready to use.

Okay, 10 hours sounds a bit steep, but fine I can live with that, i'm finally going to be able to use my Treo! 10 hours later, nothing. I call back the next day and the person tells me I have to wait 5 days from the time I called. 5 days? My Cingular cycle starts again on the 26th, I don't want to pay a full months of Cingular bill for 3 days worth of phone service while I wait for the number port to go through. So I try to cancel the number port and just settle with a new number instead. Sprint tells me that my number is in the "pending" stage and they can't touch it, try calling Cingular instead. I call up Cingular and explain my situation and how I wish to cancel the port, they can't touch it either, but looking into my account they discover that my number isn't in the top100 so it can't be ported in the first place, something Sprint failed to tell me. If I knew ahead of time I would have just activated my account on the 17th!

I called Sprint back and tell them what I discovered from Cingular, they tell me that Cingular was lying to me and they were just trying to keep me as a customer. They assured me that my account had nothing wrong with it and it was going to get processed fine. Nothing was wrong and everything was fine and dandy, just wait till the end of 5 days.

Well since I was stuck with the number port now, I call up Cingular again and ask for a prorate for the 3 days that my phone will still be active while waiting for the port and they agree, sorta. They tell me to call them up when the bill arrives and they'll deduct the amount. Anyway I wait 5 days and my phone STILL is not working, so I call Sprint up and they tell me to wait till tomorrow afternoon and it'll be ready. I complain that I have been without a phone for the last week and that I was supposed to have my service up and running 5 days go, they offer me some compensation to be discussed later. Okay, cool compensation, that sounds good, I guess it'll make everything worthwhile.

So today my phone still is not working, I call them up in the evening telling them that my phone is still not working and they tell me once again to wait till tomorrow afternoon. At this point i'm completely frustrated and ask to talk to the number port CRS directly instead of using a proxy (and getting put on hold over and over). I get transfered to the number port rep and tell him my situation. He tells me my number has been canceled since the 25th.

MY NUMBER HAS BEEN CANCELED SINCE THE 25TH? YOU MEAN ALL THOSE TIMES I'VE CALLED IN AND ASKED ABOUT MY NUMBER BETWEEN THE 25TH AND THE 29TH, THEY WERE LYING TO ME? WTF?!

Then he proceeds to tell me that I have to wait another 5 days because the number was canceled and they have to reinstate it into the system and put me on the bottom of the list. At this point I didn't give a sh*t about which number I got and since my number port was canceled I'll just settle for a new number instead. He says that that will take 5 days for any number to port in. I asked him again to make sure he understood what I was saying, I didn't want ANY numbers ported from ANYWHERE, not any carriers, I just wanted a new number created by SPRINT, and he replied, 5 days. I didn't believe what I just heard, so after nearly going berserk on the poor rep, he went and checked the system again, came back and apologized for misinforming me. He tells me that my number was canceled outside of the system (by some higher power? huh?) and he couldn't activate a new account for me unless I get a new phone. I explain to him ITS A FREAKING TREO 600. I am NOT going to get another one of these for at least another month, all the stores are out and all the websites are backordered till Jan 2. So he goes off and checks something again and tells me that my account will be cleared in 8-12 hours and to call back after that to set up a new account. ARGH, ok I asked about the compensation that I would be getting for all this trouble and frustration i've been dealing with, and he tells me i'll get 10 courtesy minutes on my account. WOOPDIEEDO! 10 freaking minutes for an entire week of not having a phone and having to spend hours each day talking to CSRs? He then tells me that I can discuss compensation terms tomorrow.

At this point I just hung up and decided not to give myself more ulcers until tomorrow. I was considering opening another line with Sprint because my dad wanted a new cellphone provider, but after this nightmare, I don't want to deal with Sprint customer service again. Ever.
    I had a nightmare like that once with local phone service ameritech (now SBC)

It took a class action lawsuit to improve their customer service and now its great...

Maybe someone needs to organize that against Sprint!
    These stories always make me feel so lucky.
    I walked into a sprint store 2 weeks ago and walked out 1/2 hr later with a fully functioning T600. Well except for the fact that the battery was at around 5% charged. I can't complain.
  4.    #4  
    Heh damn you Wikka. Damn you. j/k

Yeah if anyone else has had experience like this maybe we can get together and do something about it.
    Sprint has to be the single most frustrating company I have ever dealt with. My Treo 600 purchase kicked off a massive idiocy fest that started with my "existing customer" qualifications for the $150 rebate.

After a few screwings later, I ended up with the phone, a plan nowhere near as nice as the one I had for two years, a new number and probably a denial of the rebate for some reason I've not yet anticipated.

Every conversation with a CSR for each new complication in my most recent round was an infuriating, usually multiple-CSR process. You literally call them up fully anticipating the pain you are about to endure. I consciously mark off a block of time to set aside for the multiple phonecalls I will likely make. In fact, I've gotten good at asking a specific set of questions right up front so I can weed out the clueless CSRs from the capable ones. I get off the phone as fast as possible with the clueless ones so I can call back and try my luck on a capable one.

I really hate to talk this way publically... but I can honestly tell you that I've never felt quite so abused by a company to which I send a considerable amount of money each month. And if I had a choice in providers in town that could provide what I need, I'd be gone by now.

I recounted a TINY bit of my views and hell in this recent post:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...tml#post286030

I'd love to be able to change Sprint in some positive way... but I'm pretty convinced that they are too big and too complex for anybody to really have any effect. What is complaining to them going to do? Nothing. They are used to it and are in a position to really not give a rip. Besides, most of the CSRs are not at fault as people and it's not them I despise... it's the company they work for that creates policies and a customer service model that can breed such resentment.

They still have millions of possible first time customers to chew threw at least once before it catches up to them. Heck, they even have veteran customers like me that apparently throw themselves willingly into the pit of hell from time to time to make a change in our service, plan or phone.

And not to sound too nuts... but this is rapidly becoming my view of much of the corporate world anymore. I'm finding infuriating situations like this becoming more and more frequent... but none quite on the scale I've witnessed firsthand with Sprint. Maybe they are a model for the rest of the commercial world in the US today. Wow... just think what we have to look forward to.

- Aaron
    ---
    Aaron's MAME'd Millipede:
    http://sparhawk.sbc.edu/MAME
    I went through a similar terrible experience with Sprint. My Treo is going back to Handspring. Sprint's service is unacceptable.
    Originally posted by amahler
    And not to sound too nuts... but this is rapidly becoming my view of much of the corporate world anymore. I'm finding infuriating situations like this becoming more and more frequent... but none quite on the scale I've witnessed firsthand with Sprint. Maybe they are a model for the rest of the commercial world in the US today. Wow... just think what we have to look forward to.

- Aaron
    I agree 100%. Customer service is not what it used to be. I was as lucky as "wikka":

Originally posted by wikka
    These stories always make me feel so lucky.
    I walked into a sprint store 2 weeks ago and walked out 1/2 hr later with a fully functioning T600. Well except for the fact that the battery was at around 5% charged. I can't complain.
    And just because I felt lucky I wrote a letter to the store manager which I ended with, "Sprint would greatly benefit from more customer service representatives like Ms Sellers."

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    I posted this in a different forum, but I'll add it here:

The main PROBLEM is that Sprint routes you through many different call centers. So you'll rarely speak to the same person twice (good luck). Hence, why everyone gives you a different answer - they're different people in different offices with different training and knowledge levels. I had a billing dispute (account cancelation) problem that dragged on for a year and nearly destroyed my credit because no one could interpret my account properly after a mistake was made by the intial CSR. It was a complete nightmare. :| Some things they did didn't make any sense. And you know what I figured out? People can be idiots and do things that don't make any sense.

I actually had CSRs tell me that my problem (my credit rating dropping 100 points because of SPRINT'S billing error) wasn't "important" enough to put through to a supervisor. I was told that they didn't have the capability to fax or e-mail me documents showing the corrections to my account (amazing, for a communications company) and they couldn't give me a contact or supervisor name. That forces you to explain your account history with every new call, and makes it impossible to follow-up.

It would also make you look like an ***** to try and pursue legal action. "Who did you speak to?" "I don't know...they wouldn't give me a full name." "What office were they in?" "They wouldn't say...there are a bunch of different call centers." "What did your account say?" "The CSR couldn't figure it out and I'm totally reliant with what they tell me on the phone." "Where is your documentation?" "Sprint wouldn't fax anything to me and would only send me a copy of a bill."

Which is probably why they handle things that way. You can't go before a judge with such limited information. I started researching laws on taping my phone calls.

Ironically, I am going back to Sprint to get a Treo 600. Why? Basically, all of the major cell carriers have different problems (I once was forced to wait on line for 4 hours at Verizon to get a defective phone replaced...I was livid) :| so it's a matter of picking your poison. T-Mobile has been fine, but their coverage sucks.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Whenever you speak with a CSR, have a pen and pad handy, write EVERYTHING down, date it, and get a confirmation code. Ask what call center they're in. Supervisors should have e-mail addresses (their name and some digits, I believe), so CC: yourself or get a return receipt on e-mails. Don't hesitate to handle disputes by registered mail. Ask for copies of your bill reflecting any changes made to the account, either in the terms of your contract, cancellations, or monetary amounts. Make sure your account contact information is up to date (my problem started when they reverted to using an old contact number for me and couldn't get in touch).
    Last edited by TreoScott; 12/01/2003 at 12:26 PM.