Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1.    #1  
    I still get the error message regarding service coming soon. Any ideas when they wil lget it together and have the service ready to roll? Thanks.

    MRL-MO
  2. #2  
    i've virtually given up on them man. having to use the web in order to send a message is a pain in the ***.

    you think with the whole number portability issue they would make an effort to get it workin....
  3. #3  
    I spoke with Sprint yesterday about this when my SMS outgoing wasn't working and I didn't know it wasn't yet operating on their behalf. They told me December 2nd was the start date for two-way SMS.

    Hope this is true... but it won't shatter me if it isn't. My faith in Sprint is mostly nonexistant due to my frequent infuriating experiences with them regarding customer service for the entire three years that I've had an account. Don't get me started on fighting with them over Treo 600 rebates, keeping my phone number, etc (long and sordid story).

    I do love my Treo 600, though. They really nailed it...

    - Aaron
    ---
    Aaron's MAME'd Millipede:
    http://sparhawk.sbc.edu/MAME
  4. #4  
    It won't be December, but won't be much longer.
  5. #5  
    Heh - like I said...

    I didn't worry enough about SMS to call back six times and average the answers among all the CSRs that answered. I'm sure that would have ranged from the precise December 2nd answer to "never" along with a few that would likely tell me something like "you need Sprint Business Connection to do that".

    As it is, the one that said December 2nd was from my second call. The first CSR had no idea what I meant, then started talking about Eudora (which I don't use) and then said the Treo doesn't do SMS. I started to point out the chapter of the printed manual that describes how SMS threads conversations much like an instant messenger but gave up and just called back. That's when I got the December 2nd answer.

    This policy relates equally to every other task I've performed with Sprint lately including getting my wife's phone moved from my terminating account to my new line of service while retaining her existing number. That one took four calls, three of which told me different versions of "we can't do that" or "your store needs to do that". (The store, by the way, says only the 800-number folks can do that).

    The last CSR did it lickety-split with no questions, though I fear that means I'll find out something is horribly broken with our account in about five days. He seemed to know what I needed and even pointed out some 5% discounts I was getting for adding her phone (which I'd never seen advertised prior to that conversation). I'm not sure if I should be pleased or scared.

    He of little faith...
    - Aaron
    ---
    Aaron's MAME'd Millipede:
    http://sparhawk.sbc.edu/MAME
  6. #6  
    just get Treo600SMS from PDAApps and use your brain cells on something else more critical. I've been SMSing like a fiend since I got the 300 way back when, and continued it with the 600, thanks to the good folks at PDAApps. Get it. Move on.

    yes, I know the question is 'but what about when Sprint changes the way their Short Mail proxy stuff works? Won't that render Treo600SMS useless?' My answer is twofold:

    1. It's gonna take Sprint FORever to get to real SMS - I don't care what they say; it's going to take longer, and we've already seen evidence of that - continuous delays, etc. So - since it's taking forever, that means that the current functionality of Treo600SMS is useful all during those delays, and the app is one of my most-used ones. So I need it, and now. I use it, and now.

    2. I have faith that PDAApps will modify the Treo600SMS once/if Sprint ever comes out with SMS. It may take a day or two or three, but all the gain I'm receiving NOW more than offsets any small delays 6 months from now. or even two months. Even one.

    Bottom line for me - I need SMS now, and I get it with Tre0600SMS. All good.

    So don't waste time stressing and fretting about when Sprint will come out with SMS - you can have FULL SMS functionality now with treo600SMS. And no, I don't work for PDAApps - I just use the HECK out of their apps - all of them, actually.

    off the soapbox now - thanks.
  7. #7  
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81
    It won't be December, but won't be much longer.

    "Won't be much longer" would mean December to me. January or thereafter qualifies as "in a few months" to "sometime next year".
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

    Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
  8. #8  
    Originally posted by amahler
    Heh - like I said...

    I didn't worry enough about SMS to call back six times and average the answers among all the CSRs that answered. I'm sure that would have ranged from the precise December 2nd answer to "never" along with a few that would likely tell me something like "you need Sprint Business Connection to do that".

    As it is, the one that said December 2nd was from my second call. The first CSR had no idea what I meant, then started talking about Eudora (which I don't use) and then said the Treo doesn't do SMS. I started to point out the chapter of the printed manual that describes how SMS threads conversations much like an instant messenger but gave up and just called back. That's when I got the December 2nd answer.

    This policy relates equally to every other task I've performed with Sprint lately including getting my wife's phone moved from my terminating account to my new line of service while retaining her existing number. That one took four calls, three of which told me different versions of "we can't do that" or "your store needs to do that". (The store, by the way, says only the 800-number folks can do that).

    The last CSR did it lickety-split with no questions, though I fear that means I'll find out something is horribly broken with our account in about five days. He seemed to know what I needed and even pointed out some 5% discounts I was getting for adding her phone (which I'd never seen advertised prior to that conversation). I'm not sure if I should be pleased or scared.

    He of little faith...
    - Aaron
    I'm sure glad I'm not the only one that feel that way about doing anything with a CSR.

    You would think that would be a number one priority to fix.
  9. #9  
    Originally posted by nrosser
    don't waste time stressing and fretting about when Sprint will come out with SMS - you can have FULL SMS functionality now with treo600SMS. And no, I don't work for PDAApps - I just use the HECK out of their apps - all of them, actually.

    off the soapbox now - thanks.
    Amen! That's what I did too. I've got two of their apps, and I'm having VERY good experiences with both.
  10. #10  
    I have to agree: just get Treo600SMS. It works, it works well, and it works now. I got it a month ago figuring that Sprint's SMS would be no earlier than January.

    The convenience of being able to send people messages when they're not at their PCs was too compelling to not have immediately, so I broke down and bought it and haven't looked back. No anxiety over waiting for the other shoe to fall--especially Sprint's shoe. No torturous Short Mail latencies. No wondering about possible service charges. Even if MO-SMS does roll out Dec 2, bug free, I'll consider the usage I've gotten out of Treo600SMS in the last six weeks $20 well spent.
  11. #11  
    Originally posted by Gameboy70
    I have to agree: just get Treo600SMS. It works, it works well, and it works now. I got it a month ago figuring that Sprint's SMS would be no earlier than January.
    I took this path and have to agree it's the right thing to do. It's well worth the $ even if Sprint eventually gets their act together and hopefully PDAApps will modify the program accordingly at that time.

    But I was pretty dissapointed when, after paying full price for Treo600SMS I was not allowed to give myTreo300SMS to the same person I gave my Treo300 to, or get any sort of discount at all.
  12. #12  
    Yeah, I bought t300sms and I would like to have received an upgrade incentive, but I didn't
  13. #13  
    I mentioned this in another thread...you can use a freeware app called Text Messanger to send text messages from the Treo600. It only works sending messages to other SprintPCS phones though...

    I just wish some one would write an app to port the Microcio interafce to PalmOS similar to the way DA accesses 555-1212. IMO, this would be the cheapest solution...
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  14. #14  
    I'm willing to bet that Sprint's SMS working is imminent! Why? Because it would be just my luck - I just registered Treo600SMS!

    Dunc
  15. #15  
    Originally posted by Dunc
    I'm willing to bet that Sprint's SMS working is imminent! Why? Because it would be just my luck - I just registered Treo600SMS!

    Dunc
    Dont worry, Its the same way with me. So until I finally break down and register, no SMS for anyone. MUAHAHAHA!

    Or something.
  16. #16  
    I am not a Treo 600 Sprint user but have been considering it as I have Sprint account as well. I am considering all options during my 30days (treo 600 Cingular).
    I called Sprint and the first agent I talked to didn't even know they were releasing SMS. She moved me to Data services.

    Data services told me that the projected date was Dec 17 (not in stone). But, he also said they are encountering a great deal of problems and that even after it is released that one should expect the server to be down often while they continue to debug it. He also said they have pricing on it now and that the agent should have been able to give me that.

    Sprints pricng is so attractive, but I have to have reliable SMS
  17. #17  

    Sprints pricng is so attractive, but I have to have reliable SMS [/B]
    Right now NONE of Sprint's messaging is reliable. Shortmail is slow One way text has been up and down....Picturemail has a 30-1hr delay right now on and off...it's wonderful...
  18. #18  
    I just talked to a level 2 Sprint tech, he said mid december.

    Take that with a rock of salt the size of a boulder if need be.
  19. #19  
    Originally posted by zipdrive007


    Right now NONE of Sprint's messaging is reliable. Shortmail is slow One way text has been up and down....Picturemail has a 30-1hr delay right now on and off...it's wonderful...
    Exactly- Cingular was like that 3 years ago. I eventually had a direct number to the 24 tech office so that I could tell them when their server went down. I always imagined this Pentium I computer in a dusty closet somewhere in early SMS days.

    Cingular today in my area (So Cal) SMS is usually less than 30 seconds. At the most 2 minutes. And rarely ever down. I need instant two way communication, when voice is not an option.

    Interesting the Sprint level 2 guy told me to use the PDApps SMS application if I needed something more reliable.
  20. #20  
    Originally posted by cglaguna


    Exactly- Cingular was like that 3 years ago. I eventually had a direct number to the 24 tech office so that I could tell them when their server went down. I always imagined this Pentium I computer in a dusty closet somewhere in early SMS days.

    Cingular today in my area (So Cal) SMS is usually less than 30 seconds. At the most 2 minutes. And rarely ever down. I need instant two way communication, when voice is not an option.

    Interesting the Sprint level 2 guy told me to use the PDApps SMS application if I needed something more reliable.
    PDApps SMS for the 600 works GREAT the problem is it is a front end to Sprints Shortmail that makes things "look" like SMS so when sprints down that wonderful apps is worthless.

Posting Permissions