1.    #1  
    what is the absolute easiest way to send/receive email on the treo 600 with sprint? i don't really know what pop3 or whatever is. i currently use a palm i705 with palm.net service. i guess i got spoiled because it works well and easily.

how is it that it doesn't come set from sprint to send/receive email at yourname@sprintpcs.com or something like that? it shouldn't be so hard.....
    Download the free handspring email client for SPrint treo600. PM me if you need more info. Matt
    I installed this app and found it to be very nice with one issue...
    I could not send emails to my non-Sprint ISP POP3 account.

If you choose to use this great app, you will need to use the Sprint PCS SMTP settings with an active sprint log in and password.

I set an email account up with Sprint and used my POP3 email server for inbound and used the sprint SMTP for outbound with the Sprint log in and password which is entered on the advanced tab...
    Gene
    get treo,
    You do have your non PCS email address in there too ,correct?
    This is really no problem, it just using Sprint to send it, and not your emails SMTP server, it can have the same return address (asyour non-PCS email) and looks the same to the end user.

Kind a like when you go get groceries at the store. They were at the farm, now they are at the store and you can see them and buy them, It doesn't matte if they came via place, train or automobile..they are there and are the same regardless.

So what if you have to use the Sprint SMTP, should be transparnt to the end user.

I set my PCS mail up last year so I could sent from my Road Runner account. I use the PCS email address now for my close friends and they know to keep the address to them selfs and not forward it, becasue I don't want spam. Now, when ever they email me at my PCS addy, I get a SMS telling me to go check my PCS mail and who it;s from, kinda nice IMO.

Regards
    yes you are right Burkhardi, I do have both the Sprint PCS and my home email on the treo with the 'mail' application.

I have not given out my Sprint PCS Addy so I did not know about the SMS notification. That is handy.

I was a bit flustered at first becuase the person I called at Sprint PCS could not diagnose and help me, I had to figure it out on my own.
    Gene
  6.    #6  
    well I won't give my pcs email address to many people either as I don't want spam either. but i just wanted to know how well the basic sprint email works for sending receiving. i take it the sms notification is when you forward email from other non pcs accounts right? i am hoping the pcs treo email is the "push" type. that is i don't have to search for it....it will be sent to me in real time? no?
    G-T, you have to go to the PCSweb site and set up the SMS notification via preferances. I have it set to SMS me when I gget any email on my PCS account, see only a select few have it. Also, I have me Hotmail set to send me a SMS too. Anytime someone from my "buddy/contaact" list emails me. I do the Hotmail via MSN mobile and also get a daily weather report too. They call then "alerts". Regards, Matt
    Originally posted by Burkhardi
    G-T, you have to go to the PCSweb site and set up the SMS notification via preferances. I have it set to SMS me when I gget any email on my PCS account, see only a select few have it. Also, I have me Hotmail set to send me a SMS too. Anytime someone from my "buddy/contaact" list emails me. I do the Hotmail via MSN mobile and also get a daily weather report too. They call then "alerts". Regards, Matt
    Hey Thanks for the heads up Burkardi! I will set up my alerts and see if I can stand the alerts!
    Gene
    SB, It quazi-push.... You can tell it to check the email on preset t@
    Burkhardi,
    YEs, I did see the options in the prefs in SPCS' website and turned on the phone notification for all emails to my sprint pcs account. Tested and it works.

Kinda' kludgy but it does work. I rec'd an SMS message which stated that I had red'd an email from my xxxxx@sprintpcs.com email address. Then I needed to go to either my webmail feature on the Treo or the mail application which I have loaded to 'pull' the mail down.

I guess I could just turn on the automatic polling of email on the mail app on the Treo but this would impact my battery life.

So, I think this notification is a good compromise.
    Gene
    Adding a bit to this. I did some experimenting yesterday and found that I can use multiple SMTP servers with Snappermail. I have paid access w/Yahoo! and have Snappermail set to use Yahoo! with my Yahoo and Roadrunner accounts. It does not allow me to use the Roadrunner SMTP account.

Ben

Originally posted by Burkhardi
    get treo,
    You do have your non PCS email address in there too ,correct?
    This is really no problem, it just using Sprint to send it, and not your emails SMTP server, it can have the same return address (asyour non-PCS email) and looks the same to the end user.

Kind a like when you go get groceries at the store. They were at the farm, now they are at the store and you can see them and buy them, It doesn't matte if they came via place, train or automobile..they are there and are the same regardless.

So what if you have to use the Sprint SMTP, should be transparnt to the end user.

I set my PCS mail up last year so I could sent from my Road Runner account. I use the PCS email address now for my close friends and they know to keep the address to them selfs and not forward it, becasue I don't want spam. Now, when ever they email me at my PCS addy, I get a SMS telling me to go check my PCS mail and who it;s from, kinda nice IMO.

Regards