1.    #1  
    I currently have a treo 270 on T-Mobile. I HATE T-Mobile. Coverage is poor, SMS server delay/drops during peak time is terrible, data service SLOW, customer service non-existent.

I plan on upgrading to Treo 600 and take my cell# to another carrier. Am and trying to decide on Spirnt or AT&T.

My priorities are:

1) Coverage
    2) Cost
    3) Data speed
    4) SMS

1) coverage...for me locally in D.C. area, Sprint and AT&T's GSM are about equal.

2) cost...easy for me to compare.

3) Data speed...I understand Sprint is suppose to be 30% faster than AT&T GSM. Is this correct? Any good test data available out on the net someone can give me a url to?

4) SMS. I use SMS for AOL IM. Great feature since the SMS server will buffer a message if I drop a cell. HOWEVER...Sprint does not offer SMS. Not a deal breaker...but a big negative Sprint need to get over.

So..based on the above...what would YOU recommend?

Tech Manager
    Sprint will have SMS soon and they are giving it as a free service to early Treo adopters. FREE SMS!! ~
    The SMS type messaging is possible with the Sprint CDMA T600, you just have to go to sprint's web portal and execute the send via their site. Not perfect but servicable while we wait for the sprint SMS.
    Gene
    I've mentioned this on other threads but.... I'm a T180 on TMobile waiting for T600 on TMo.

I think you have a good grip on the $$'s and data speed questions. Sprint is once again claiming that they will soon support outbound SMS but we will have to wait and see if they do. If you are only in need of SMS for IM, there are much better apps (like VeriChat from PDAapps).

For me, the many reason that I don't want to switch to Sprint is the issue of signal strength within buildings. I've seen too many Sprint (CDMA) users that can't get/keep a good signal inside buildings here in Chicago.
    Secondary issue with CDMA is that it is not a "World Phone". I'll be able to use the GSM phone in the UK and India.

My 2 cents
    good points scheumanrj. Here in Mpls, the signal strength is quite good for sprint. There are the occaisional weak zones but in general, I have service throughout the downtown area.

As for the GSM style T600, it sports a quad band GSM capability which is actually quite good in most US cities and as scheumanrj states is usable world wide.

So techmgr, I would not be concerned about the cell phone capability of the 600 vs. your 270 since it was dual band GSM vs. the quad band of the 600.

I cannot speak of the data nature of the Tmo network but the data on sprint is quite good considering wireless....
    Gene
    Originally posted by Get-treo
    ....Here in Mpls, the signal strength is quite good for sprint. There are the occaisional weak zones but in general, I have service throughout the downtown area....
    Get-treo, How is your signal strength when you are inside buildings in downtown Mlps. That seems to be the big issue here in Chi. When outside - the Sprint PCS signal is strong, but when inside building, you have to stand in just the right spot and then not move or you are going to drop the call.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    I beg to differ on the Sprint PCS signal. I just recently retired, but when I was working I was the only one who had Sprint PCS and could get clear calls in and out of a very old cement and steel building in downtown Flint, Michigan. If you are familiar with the area you know that Flint is a very old city with very old buildings. I used to work in the basement of one of those buildings and had absolutely no problems with calls or data while my co workers with other carriers had nightmares. Also, I just recently visited downtown Saginaw, Michigan where I was lucky to get a signal or one bar with my Treo 300. Now with my Treo 600 I am getting a full four bar signal. I think this is in part due to some advancements in the Treo 600 but I also think Sprint PCS is improving their network all the time. I personally think their network is great while their customer service is the worst in the industry.

macfan
    My office is on the 8th floor of my building and I am getting full four bars.

I can even use the phone in the elevator most of the time - 1 bar.

Now in some of the buildings downtown I am having some difficulty but generally always a bar or more in downtown.

In residential areas is where I have seen weaker coverage.
    Gene
    Originally posted by macfan
    I beg to differ on the Sprint PCS signal. ....Now with my Treo 600 I am getting a full four bar signal. I think this is in part due to some advancements in the Treo 600 but I also think Sprint PCS is improving their network all the time.
    Wow. Thanks for the info. I'm starting to think that maybe I should check out the Sprint T600.
    Originally posted by Get-treo
    ....I can even use the phone in the elevator most of the time - 1 bar.
    Ok, ok, I'll go check out Sprint
    Thanks again for all the feedback