Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1.    #1  
    Anyone with Sprint who was thinking about sticking with Short Mail and Treo600SMS in lieu of paying for real SMS once it's out no longer has to worry, it's FREE for us!

    I've confirmed from a few different sources so it looks like a sure thing. Basically, once SMS is rolled out (1/04), all SMS enabled phones will not have access to Short Mail anymore. Short Mail will be left in place but only for older, non-SMS phones. The Treo 600 is the only Sprint phone that currently has Short Mail functionality and will have SMS enabled. Therefore, once SMS comes around, Short Mail will be deactivated for us. Since we don't get the option of sticking with free unlimited Short Mail (with a Vision Pack), they're giving all Treo 600 users who activated theirs before SMS roll out free unlimited SMS. That's pretty cool of Sprint.
  2. #2  
    That's very cool of sprint. Although I hadn't heard that we would have to wait until January for the rollout. Darn.

    Also, please always take a second to decide what forum a post belongs in!
  3. #3  
    well I hope that's all accurate info, but I'll believe it when I see it. I'm also happy I went ahead and ponied up the minimal upgrade bucks to go from Treo300SMS to the 600 version - I knew that November date for Sprint SMS was gonna slip. And I would hazard a guess that even the January date is gonna be marginal.
    Let's hope Sprint proves me wrong on both counts.
  4. hall316's Avatar
    Posts
    333 Posts
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    #4  
    sweet now if Handspring would ever actually ship me my 600 I would be in business.
  5. #5  
    Will SMS be able to pick up mail from any Pop account or is it only stuff emailed to your cell number email address?

    What exactly does SMS stand for again? I'm having a hard time understanding the concept of SMS versus plain old email or chat.

    Chi
    smart reviews for serious gamers
    <A HREF="http://mobile.gamecritics.com">mobile.gamecritics.com</A>
  6. #6  
    Thats great news! Now all I need to do is negotiate the hostage release of my Treo from Sprint....
  7. #7  
    OK, I need clairification here.

    SMS (short mail service) is the current "old" system
    and Mo-SMS (don't know what it stnads for?) is the new and upcoming system. You can send and recieve text messge/alerts and you can go to the messaging.sprintpcs site too and you or someone else (even a non-sprint suscriber) can send you SMS.

    SO if they ace the current SMS, then the phones that can't use the Mo-SMS are useless for text messages then, like the T300 then. This new system has what features?

    How can the feature be off for one phone and on for another when they go live with the new Mo-SMS? Is there a model number in the handshake with the site?

    i don't think they will know what phone is using what. i assuem the only reason they would let the current T600 people switch for free is that it was not there when we bought our new T600 and it was billed as being able to send SMS and it can't. When Mo-sms goes live, you will then be able to decide if you want to pay the extra $$ to go to this, not get the T600, or get it and not use the Mo-SMS service.

    Thanks for posting this info though, I have been wondering abou tit for a while.

    I call it Mo-SMS becasue I have seen old timers here refer to it as that.

    Reagds,matt
  8. #8  
    Messaging Alert
    Sprint will discontinue the View and Organize Inbox feature for One-Way Messaging and Short Mail from this website beginning on or after the 17th of November. You will still be able to use the Compose feature to send text messages from this website.

    These changes will not affect your Sprint Phone functionality. Short Mail messages are still accessible from your phone's web browser and any text messages/notifications stored on your phone will not be affected.
    *****************************



    This is what I have on my account when I go to the Text message/SMS area.

    Is this different then what this thread is about?

    Thanks, Matt
  9. #9  
    Originally posted by Burkhardi
    OK, I need clairification here.

    SMS (short mail service) is the current "old" system
    and Mo-SMS (don't know what it stnads for?) is the new and upcoming system. You can send and recieve text messge/alerts and you can go to the messaging.sprintpcs site too and you or someone else (even a non-sprint suscriber) can send you SMS.

    SO if they ace the current SMS, then the phones that can't use the Mo-SMS are useless for text messages then, like the T300 then. This new system has what features?

    How can the feature be off for one phone and on for another when they go live with the new Mo-SMS? Is there a model number in the handshake with the site?

    i don't think they will know what phone is using what. i assuem the only reason they would let the current T600 people switch for free is that it was not there when we bought our new T600 and it was billed as being able to send SMS and it can't. When Mo-sms goes live, you will then be able to decide if you want to pay the extra $$ to go to this, not get the T600, or get it and not use the Mo-SMS service.

    Thanks for posting this info though, I have been wondering abou tit for a while.

    I call it Mo-SMS becasue I have seen old timers here refer to it as that.

    Reagds,matt
    This is my understanding of things ...

    SMS stands for Short Message Service ... We Sprint users never had true SMS (160 character short messages sent from phone to phone), we had Short MAIL Service which is different. Basically what we sent were short emails, not true messages.

    To differentiate these services, Sprint is using MO-SMS ... Mobile Originated Short Message Service. It is what everyone else has always had, just not Sprint.

    My guess is that they do know what phones we have. For example, a photo of your device appears on the SPCS website when you log in. After all, they did provision our phone ... I hope they knew what they were doing!!!!

    I do hope that Sprint does live up to their word and gives us SMS for no additional cost. Afterall, that is one of the reasons for getting this phone. Along with email (the Mail app from Palm works GREAT), the web, phone and PDA.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

    Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
  10. #10  
    Is it true that SMS is pushed back to January of 2004?! Has that been confirmed by Sprint?
  11. #11  
    My guess is that they do know what phones we have. For example, a photo of your device appears on the SPCS website when you log in. After all, they did provision our phone ... I hope they knew what they were doing!!!!
    I knew that, I had to have them get it going and give them the ESN and model number

    What I was getting at was, if you use your treo600 to go to the messaging.spriontpcs site to send, I doubt they know what you are sending from.

    Do you think they can block you on a person by person basis by putting limits on what your vision connection will let you do, it does have to log in and tell the ISP who you are..?

    Thanks for the info!!! Matt
  12. #12  
    i called and they told me mid december...

    still, i am never sure that those idiots know what i'm asking about. the tech guys called it "sprint messaging service", and then explained to me that short mail was indeed working, and couldn't understand why i was asking when it would be available.
  13. #13  
    Wow, if it's true that MO-sms will be free for early Treo600 users, then I won't complain so much about it not being available yet! The only negative is the fact that there might not be an option to use both shortmail and mo-sms...
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  14. #14  
    Why would you want to fall back to the web and short mail when you can achieve the same with Mo-SMS? Faster, built-in and easier to compose with... I can't see myself going back to short mail for messaging, even if it is still around.

    - Mike
  15. #15  
    Originally posted by mikev
    Why would you want to fall back to the web and short mail when you can achieve the same with Mo-SMS?...
    Because it's part of vision and thus unlimited (i.e no extra costs). That was in effect, the allure of Treo600SMS from PDAapps. If what letsgoflyers81 says is true, then new Treo600 users after 1/04 next year will have to pay an additional add-on fee for MO-SMS whatever that is. Furthermore, I don't like the idea of functionality being taken away, regardless how antiquated it may seem.
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  16. #16  
    True, but one wouldn't need to pay for Vision to be able to send messages. So if they offer it for $5 by itself, and also wrap it into Vision (probably with yet another price increase for it), then you can get it either way, with or without the rest of the data service.

    Some people might not want the data service, but want to send text messages. Now they'll be able to do so.

    - Mike
  17. #17  
    interesting logic but,

    mo-sms from sprint will not be running through the vision network the service will have its own bandwidth(or something like that) i was told by a sprint tech that the service will use a different area so the msgs will be immediate, unlike the lag you get with short mail(currently up to 12 hours!)

    so, i would bet for the above reason and because not all phones will support the new service, the mo-sms service will be an add-on service
  18. #18  
    Originally posted by nrosser
    well I hope that's all accurate info, but I'll believe it when I see it. I'm also happy I went ahead and ponied up the minimal upgrade bucks to go from Treo300SMS to the 600 version - I knew that November date for Sprint SMS was gonna slip. And I would hazard a guess that even the January date is gonna be marginal.
    Let's hope Sprint proves me wrong on both counts.

    How did you secure an "upgrade" from Treo300SMS to Treo600SMS? When I contacted PDAApps with the question if I could upgrade (since I bought Treo300SMS only about a month before I bought my 600), they replied that they could not offer upgrade pricing because 600SMS was a "complete rewrite" of the code from scratch.

Posting Permissions